Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner August 2015

Light in the box (for bridesmaid dresses)

ExpensivePurpleDiamonds54, 1 of July of 2014 at 09:02 Posted on Planning 0 6

Has anyone on here used the website Light in the box for their bridesmaid dresses, have your experiences been good or bad x

6 replies

Latest activity by SunnyOrangeConfetti79, 1 of July of 2014 at 20:35
  • S
    Beginner November 2014
    Sazzle24 ·
    • Hide content

I used it for some wedding decor and loved it. Paid for delivery for 20-30 days and came within 10. Good quality and no issues here x

• K
    Beginner November 2014
    Kwal ·
    • Hide content

I didn't use this one but a similar site from china for my bridesmaid dresses and couldn't be happier, £48 each and that was them made to measure, fit perfectly and really good quality too!

Im so glad I took the risk! X

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MrsDub2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi My sister used them 2 years ago for her dress plus two bridesmaids dresses mine was meant to be a fishtail but arrived 10 inches too short and twisted so I had to pay a dressmaker £30 to virtually re style the dress which admittedly was far better than the original and it being 10inches to short worked out okay, I could still wear it with a kitten heel.

i think it's the luck of the draw.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Sezwest ·
    • Hide content

I've bought mine from light in the box. £80 each

came quickly and are really nice. We ordered bigger just in case and they are quite a bit bigger and v long on the girls but we always said we were going to get them altered.

Excellent quality and really well made. They look like dresses you see in bridal shops

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

I used them for Bridesmaid and Flowergirl dresses.

With the Bridesmaids, I measured them and then ordered the closest off the peg sizes with about 5 months to go but they arrived about a month later. I did this because I just wanted to know they were safely here and I felt more comfortable having them fitted by people who could actually meet and measure the girls near the time. The girls were spread out but one of them managed to get hers fitted for a tenner and two others knew people who would do it for them for free. The fourth was a perfect fit when it arrived. The quality of the make and fabric on them were great.

The Flowergirl dresses all needed taking up at the hem. No biggie I did that myself. One of the dresses, unfortunately had a problem with the make, with part of the skirt being caught up in the waistband and then the seam was trimmed on the reverse so that when I unpicked it to do it again there was a hole. Unfortunately, the dress belonged to the FG that had refused to be measured until 8 weeks before the wedding and then refused to try then dress on for me to hem it until a couple of weeks before. It was only when was hemming it that I found the problem. This meant I had no time to complain and have it resent, I just had to make the best and hide it in the pleats.

Despite the problems I would recommend them. One of the bridesmaids and the Mum of one of the FGs have both been bridesmaids since and have recommended Light in the Box to the brides. They did use the made to measure service with no problems.

If you do go ahead and use them I have two notes for you. I ordered in three different consignments and one of them attracted import tax. Budget about 20% on top but you might never need to spend it. The second is to join their mailing list/create a log-in in advance of your order. They will send you regular emails with 10% and 20% discount codes on for when you order, so that might make up for it if you are charged tax.

My reason for using LitB was because they had so many different styles of dresses to suit different shapes that could all be made in the same colour. My Bridesmaids are all different sizes and body types and I wanted them to pick complementary dresses that the felt good in rather than matching, with FG dresses that also had the same colour. All of my girls are in photos in my wedding report (see below).

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content

I bought my dresses from light in the Box - one adult and one junior. The main reason i bought from them is that they had a good range of junior dresses (hard to find on the high street) and I thought by ordering both dresses from there i'd at least guarantee the same colour.

I ordered two dresses in burgundy. well, neither of them are actually burgundy but are more of a claret colour. Also the adult dress has a chiffon overlay which is a much paler red, so the dresses don't really match colour wise. In terms of quality, the adult dress is very well made, and fits perfectly (I got BM's measurements and ordered the nearest size according to the guide). The junior dress was also fine in terms of quality and fit except for the straps, which had been stitched way too short (they had left about 4" of loose strap inside, so I was able to unpick and re-sew). Also - the junior dress should have had spaghetti straps, but came with flat straps.

The two dresses were around £50 each and I also ordered some hair clips (around £13 each iirc) in the same order. the customs and VAT charge on the package was £57.

Here are flashes of the dresses I ordered (the adult one is also pictured as burgundy) and the actual dresses

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics