Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Shapewear

31 of July of 2013 at 14:07 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 18

A nurse recommended that I get some firm shapewear for my upper body and thighs, but I don't know where to look or what I should be looking for? I've only seen shapewear for sale online but would prefer to try on in store so I can get the right size, I have a feeling that this will be one of those items of clothing I'll find hard to get right since my legs are several sizes bigger than my waist, or would it stretch to fit? Our local M&S only stocks light control knickers so I'm not sure where else to look? Also a bit worried that it could be really uncomfortable?

Sorry for rambling, I'm a bit foggy headed today!

18 replies

Latest activity by RomanticBlueHair27115, 12 of March of 2019 at 12:16
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

OK, sorry to sound personal but what do you need to wear it for? Where do you need the support?

Debenhams have a good range of name and own brands.

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

The likes of Debenhams, Fenwicks, John Lewis will be your best bet, and you can try the likes of Spanex on there. If they are for a certain out fit make sure you take that along with you when looking/trying.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

OK, the classic Spanx cycling short will be the type of thing you are looking for - these squish in your thighs, bottom and hips. Although you are proportionally tiny-waisted, I think the shorts will fit you OK. They basically work by stretching tightly over your bum and legs and pulling them in. The waist may not need to stretch much (or at all) but I don't think it will hang off you.

You can also buy some delightful thigh-boob jobs, but again, you'll find that you don't get much support at the waist (because the fabric isn't meeting much resistance).

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I think spanx are your best bet. I would have thought they would give you the most support.

Try debenhams and john lewis for them

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

You can get short style ones, or if you are finding they roll down on you, there are types which come with straps and they sit under your bust, allowing you to wear a proper bra. I'd try the shorts first as these will be more comfortable. In order to work, they have to be small then stretch so you should find that the waist will fit you and then the legs will stretch to accommodate your thighs.

Be careful where you get them from, as sometimes you aren't allowed to try them on and if buying online they can't be returned. Asda do a range of these which are cheap, but provide a decent support. You could try a pair of those, and if you find they are what you are looking for you could then upgrade to spanx.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I have the spanx ones footlong has described, they are great I didn't want my waist pulling in but smooth thighs and tum under my wedding dress as it is quite clingy and they work really well. And what I didn't realise until trying them on is that they have a pee hole! Very clever indeed.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Haha my friend did that - threw them in the sanitary bin!

They don't work on me, as there is too much flab to hold in, so it just gets squished to another area!

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

I have a pair from M&S - they are like cycling shorts with a long body so they pull up virtually to my bra. They only cost around £30 so quite a bit cheaper than spanx and they are very supportive. Not easy to get off though so you have to plan wee breaks in advance!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

TK Maxx seem to do quite a variety.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Yes a Pee hole!

I thought they where faulty at first then I realised! Haha.

My spanx where from an independent shop in town- about £39.00 but I have seen them for more in Debenhams.

• R
    RomanticYellowBridesmaid38197 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

What's you suggestion for buy a shapewear

• R
    • Hide content

Hello, I want to book one of shapewear for my wife, what's you suggestion?

• R
    • Hide content

Hello

Can you show us about shapewear and where you buy it?

• R
    • Hide content

Hello,

Does anyone who can recommendation for shapewear, I want to buy one for my wife, she might be needs it after her delivery

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveIvoryCars53400 ·
    • Hide content

I've found good stuff at ZipperTheory.com so yea, give them a try, but if it needs to be in person, IDK for your area. Just make sure your measurements are correct.

• R
    RomanticBlueHair27115 ·
    • Hide content

So you are saying you are wearing it on your wedding day?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics