Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner January 2012

Comfortable shoes - Too much to ask?!

AJC211, 1 of May of 2013 at 20:06 Posted on Planning 0 29

I don't think I'm asking for much. I'm not one of those girls who wears heels regularly, I have big feet & long toes, and collapsing arches, so is this REALLY too much to ask...

Where are all the wedding shoes that are

- Well made (not some cheaply-made-but-still-costly-because-it's-a-"wedding shoe" crap)

- Comfortable to wear all day

- Low heel (do ALL brides want stiletto heels? Really, am I the ONLY one that won't??)

- Heel wide enough not to wobble around when walking on carpet/grass

- Not pointy-toe'd because my toes are long and get squished in this style (seems everyone wants pointy toe shoes nowadays too?)

- Some sort of arch support

- Grip. Not soles as smooth as a baby's arse that mean a carpet is like an ice-rink... ?

Argh, you can tell I'm losing hope Smiley sad I might just wear my trainers at this rate, at least then I won't spend the day in pain! I've bought two pairs online that are not right & can't really afford to keep getting it wrong. I"ve tried these:

http://www.perditasweddingshoes.co.uk/wedding-shoes/saleweddingspecialoccasionshoes/brookerainbowclub/

http://www.elegantsteps.co.uk/products/Touch-Ups-Shala-Dyeable-Wedding-Shoes.html

HELP!!!! Has anyone else had similar problems, and how did you solve it??

29 replies

Latest activity by HappyBrownDecor18059, 4 of June of 2018 at 14:24
  • venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Why do you need a wedding shoe at all? What kind of shoes do you normally wear? I always wear toms, converse, or flat sandals, and sometimes ballet flats.

So, when it came to deciding on wedding shoes, I first through I'd do toms, but then I found a pair of really cute flat sandals in a sale instead. Comfort is key, and people will not be focusing on your feet, if they see them at all!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I'm no help but if you find the magic shoes listed above I want them!!

• Piestar
    Beginner April 2014
    Piestar ·
    • Hide content

I'm the same! I don't want heels, can't walk in them, find them uncomfortable. I have size 10 feet, really long toes and am 6ft tall. Evans have nothing weddingy, Long Tall Sally are pretty much all heels and expensive! I don't know where to start, plus I begrudge paying loads - I have to pay with big feet anyway! My plain Mary Jane leather shoes from Evans for work were £45!! ?

• FlickAndZeb
    Beginner September 2013
    FlickAndZeb ·
    • Hide content

I am wearing slippers Smiley tongue I don't wear heels at any time and although I have bought some (for £10) for photos and the aisle walk I will be changing into my slippers for the rest of the day and evening! Real fluffy bed time slippers! ^-^

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    Frogface ·
    • Hide content

Im not really a heels person because I find them so uncomfortable. I have found that Irregular choice are very very comfy on me so I went with a pair of them

And I am changing into Converse at some point later in the day. OH is designing a pair on their website for my birthday. Wear what you want to and what you feel comfortable in. Doc Martins, slippers, bare foot!

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a wide size 9, and I've plumped for these mid-heels from Rainbow (they're called Sherbert).

I NEVER wear heels, being 5'11", but these were the ones I tried on in the shop when I bought my dress. The only prob is that they cost about £60 (including dyeing bright yellow!), but I hate shoe shopping SO MUCH I just said 'sod it' and got them. Two birds, one stone!

I still don't know if I'm going to be able to handle them all day, but if they get too much I'll just kick 'em off and dance barefoot.

• Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

You might find that dance shoes are the way to go - that is what I am going to have. They are designed to give support, you can have a number of heel widths / height and they're all quite pretty and always available in white / nude / metallic so will still look 'weddingy'. Try ballroom dance suppliers or look on ebay x

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

Just because it's a wedding doesn't mean they have to be "wedding" shoes. Don't limit yourself to typical wedding shoes. Have a look around in Schu and that sort of place.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I got a pair from Next (an un-blinged them myself) with a 1.5 inch heel and also a pair of totally flat but sparkly sandals for the evening. And I was glad I did as my feet would have really ached, having been standing up most of the day.

(I'm 5'8" and a size 8 and don't wear heels much normally)

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I got a pair from Next (an un-blinged them myself) with a 1.5 inch heel and also a pair of totally flat but sparkly sandals for the evening. And I was glad I did as my feet would have really ached, having been standing up most of the day.

(I'm 5'8" and a size 8 and don't wear heels much normally)

• Soon2BMrsTim
    Beginner July 2013
    Soon2BMrsTim ·
    • Hide content

Hi I just thought I'd add my 10 cents worth lol I was in a similar bind, didn't want to wear heels that made me a giant compared to my other half who is only a couple inches taller than me-I just don't want to be taller than him in our photos lol. I looked at flat wedding shoes and they just looked too childish so guess what! I've bought myself some purple converse! Matches the purple and black wedding and I'll be blister free by the end of the night! Problem solved :-)

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

I never wear heels, I can't walk in them, they make me look like Bambi, I usually wear ballet slipper type shoes. I'm going to wear a pair of khussa slippers that I asked a friend to bring back from India for me recently, ivory satin and sequins, very cute and so me.

• A
    Beginner January 2012
    AJC211 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all SO much for your replies, they are all lovely, and helpful!! Feeling much more positive, thanks everyone, I'll keep looking. Some really good ideas here ?

• H
    Beginner June 2013
    hannah9000 ·
    • Hide content

I'm wearing Dr Martens...white, calf height :-) and I'm going to have my guests write on them so I can keep them!

• EmmaM88
    Beginner July 2014
    EmmaM88 ·
    • Hide content

I've got some heels as my something old but I am thinking after the photos go down the customized converse route.

I think it would be pretty cool to have the date and bride on them or something!

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This was my initial option. I LIVE in my trainers, so it was the only obvious choice. Until I went and bought a tea-length dress! And....they just don't look right. Unfortunately I'm not blessed with petite lady feet- mine look more like boats. This is fine when they're swamped by long bootcut jeans, but I just looked like a golf club with the dress on. If I was wearing a long dress, however, I'd definitely pick Converse or any pair of funky kicks to wear underneath.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This- I would have loved converse but they looked awful with my dress. I ended up in sky high heels until the evening and then ended up kicking them off and dancing barefoot.

• Bluebell25
    Beginner August 2013
    Bluebell25 ·
    • Hide content

I had given up on 'wedding' shoes as they all just seemed pretty ugly or old fashioned to me (although there are some nice ones out there!). I've bought some Rachel Simpson shoes ( http://rachelsimpsonshoes.co.uk/browse.php ) and they're very comfortable. Really soft leather and very light, much better than the tatty cheap shoes I usually buy! I'd definitely recommend taking a look at their shoes, they do some low heeled ones too which would probably be easier to wear all day.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had these! They were fine all day (although I'm fairly used to this sized heel indefinitely - anything higher I can only manage a few hours in).

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And they have an outlet for bargains (I got one of my back up pairs from Rachel Simpson, outlet, but they weren't quite the right colour. They are beautiful shoes though)

• C
    Beginner April 2014
    ClaireKB ·
    • Hide content

There's no way I'm spending the whole day in heels, so I'll be in ballet shoes with ribbon ?

• L
    Beginner January 2011
    lynd ·
    • Hide content

I can't wear super high shoes neither can I wear totally flat ones.

I've got a pair of irregular choice for the day (Mrs something or other - cant remember but there;s a rose in the heel) and I have another pair of BHS ones (£9) 'just in case.

• M
    mahreenmahar87 ·
    • Hide content

It is important that everyone find a pair of comfortable and supportive shoes for their work. This is especially true for those who constantly stand up, as these long shifts can destroy our legs. We need comfortable shoes that are light and cold enough to avoid fatigue, sweat and smelly feet.Here are some shoes which are recomended as the best comfortable shoes such as 1. Clarks Women’s May Marigold Slip-On Loafer2. Skechers for Work Skech Air Slip Resistant Lace-Up3. Clarks Women’s Everlay Coda Flat

• E
    Savvy August 2019
    ExpensivePinkCars56269 ·
    • Hide content

I stumbled across Rachel Simpson Shoes when trying on my wedding dress and found them to be so comfortable. After that I knew thats what I wanted and I loved the vintage yet modern designs Rachel Simpson Shoes had. Like you I don't wear heels that often so I went with /collections/courts/products/octavia. They are so comfortable, the heel isn't thin so you don't end up wobbling all over the place and mine came with little plastic heel protectors that allows you to walk on grass without sinking in, which is a brilliant idea!

Take a look at her website and see what you think. At the end of the day you have to be comfortable and like others have said if you'd rather wear flats go for it. It's your day, there are no rules Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner February 2019
    HappyPinkCars7918 ·
    • Hide content

Wear what you love. Comfy is the keySmiley smile

• R
    Beginner October 2018
    RomanticOrangeHair649 ·
    • Hide content

I've gone for latin dance sandals. They are so comfortable and they are silver on the front and an off white satin in the back. Only 2.7 inch heel too.

• B
    Beginner September 2018
    bloodninja ·
    • Hide content

So glad I just came across this. My dresss fitting for alterations is on 12th so I need my shoes sorting. I’m not a heel or girly person and I was having a nightmare. My dress is long so I’m really considering a pair of lace flats for the day bit and changing into some vans or dcs for the evening. I didn’t want to be the only one doing this, seeing others in the same dilemma gives me some confidence I’m doing the right thing.

• H
    Beginner October 2018
    HappyBrownDecor18059 ·
    • Hide content

I don’t know what your wedding dress is like, but most of the ones I tried on, you won’t even see the shoes all day!! So why worry?? Just get something comfortable! Imagine if you stumbled going down the aisle because of your shoes, or had to skip the dancing because your feet hurt?

I very nearly just got some plain white flat pumps from Primark for £6. Then I decided I did want a tiny bit of a heel, just to improve my posture and make me feel a bit more special than just running down to Asda (my own personal preference), so I found silver shoes for £20 on Amazon, because I had some vouchers that needed spending. Very small, but broad heel, a strap, very comfortable, job done. I decided to go for white/silver just on the very slim chance someone might possibly spot a glimpse of a shoe, but they probably won’t tbh.

These are the ones I got, they're super comfortable (I don't really wear heels either) but if you just search for white or silver shoes on amazon there's loads in all sorts of nice styles that don't cost much at all.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MRP4HJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics