Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Piestar
Beginner April 2014

Visited our first venue - Cockliffe House Hotel

Piestar, 30 of April of 2013 at 20:02 Posted on Planning 0 7

Found this lovely looking place on Google last night and it bangs on about exclusive use, but the wedding brochure seems to suggest you can just have your ceremony there? Please, someone read it and tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

It has a capacity up to 50 which we reckon is about right for the guests we have listed, I have sent an email for some more details including disabled access as two guests are wheelchair bound.

But overall it looks lovely and is only £250 for the ceremony!?! (Plus registrar fees of course)

Here's the link: http://www.cockliffehouse.co.uk/ Tell me what you think!

Have any of you been to this either to view or for a function/wedding or had dealings with them?

7 replies

Latest activity by Piestar, 9 of June of 2013 at 20:54
  • Piestar
    Beginner April 2014
    Piestar ·
    • Hide content

Bump x

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Ello

No personal experience of the venue but I did read the brochure and to me it reads that the £250 ceremony fee is based on an overall wedding package as it goes on to talk about a £2000 deposit to secure your chosen date......In most cases venues are reluctant to offer ceremony only as this would potentially mean they have to turn down a full wedding package which just doesn't make business sense. (particularly venues that have 'in house' caterers)

No harm in asking though!

Have you looked into English heritage type properties they usually offer venue only hire options.

• Piestar
    Beginner April 2014
    Piestar ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, that's what confused me! Well I'll await their email and see what the reply is. I'll have a look at the English Heritage, thanks Smiley smile

• Piestar
    Beginner April 2014
    Piestar ·
    • Hide content

They replied today finally! Its £375 for a ceremony only, which I didn't think was bad! With another £375 for the registrar its only £750 altogether. ? Having a chat with Luke tonight when he gets in. Xx Excited! I want to go and see!

• D
    Beginner May 2014
    dolly73 ·
    • Hide content

Very nice piestar. Told you it would come good let us know how you get on if you go to visit.

Dolly

X

• Piestar
    Beginner April 2014
    Piestar ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Dolly Smiley smile

well they have disabled access which is great, but don't have 'fully accessible toilet facilities suitable for wheelchair users'. We're thinking of going to view the venue and scout the toilets. Lol ? Without wanting to give TMI, I believe one of guests in a wheelchair uses a catheter as he is paralysed from the chest down, but the other (Luke's Godmother) has Cerebral Palsy so she cannot do things herself so her Mum will have to be able to help her go to the loo. Its a shame they don't have better facilities (I know its an old property) as this could be a deal breaker on whether its suitable.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Looks like a beautiful venue. Lovely surroundings!

• Piestar
    Beginner April 2014
    Piestar ·
    • Hide content

Visited Cockliffe today to have a look around after speaking to a lady called Sue via email. Turned up expecting her to be told she wasn't at work that day. Got shown round by a lovely young girl, viewed all the rooms you can use for the ceremony and also for the wedding breakfast/reception. We did mention we would probably only be having the ceremony as we can't afford everything to held there! We were shown 4/5 rooms but could not view the 'bridal suite' as someone was checked in still. The girl thought it was empty and just wanted tidying but said she would show us anyway until she was told that when she couldn't find the key. The toilets - our main concern - although downstairs and accessible they are completely unsuitable for a wheelchair, you wouldn't get in. She said we could have the use of the 'bridal suite' even for the ceremony so that the large bathroom would be accessible for our wheelchair guest. There is a little step up, but its really small so she shouldn't have any problems.

Overall, a really nice venue, some areas look in need of a little TLC, it's an old building I know, but flaky paintwork for those prices shouldn't really be there. The only thing that kind of put us off was the fact the staff didn't seem to be expecting us even though we were told to be there at a certain time. And the fact we couldn't even view the 'bridal suite', I appreciate its a hotel, but if we're specifically going to view it with regards to a wedding, you'd have thought they would have made sure it was free!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics