Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nutella
Beginner March 2013

My Big Fat Nutty Wedding Report - 2nd March 2013

Nutella, 24 of March of 2013 at 21:06 Posted on Planning 0 76

Well here it is, time for my report that you’ve been nagging me for! I don’t promise that it will be eloquent or flow in a way that’s easy to read. It might even contain details you’d really rather not read about (what I ate for breakfast..!) but I’m not going to apologise, I will however give you permission to skim through the wordy bits and just nosy at the pictures if you so wish.

Background

Before we got together in 2010, we knew each other through work for a good 3yrs beforehand although our paths rarely crossed. To be honest I never gave him a second glance as far as any romance was concerned but he says I made an impression on him from day 1! To cut a long story short it was very much a case of needing to be the right time for both of us and then bam it went from nothing to everything just like that!

Planning a Wedding

In all honesty I think I have ranged from being the biggest nightmare bride to being totally chilled out and having a good amount of perspective (my hitched and HOF friends have helped me with the latter!) We gave ourselves about 18months to plan, although really the time was for saving rather than planning and we had to fix the date around work. I drove myself mad with how obsessive I was to begin with, there are some things you just can’t do that early and it frustrated me! I work in events planning and am used to planning to precision!

During the course of planning the wedding, we both changed jobs twice, I gained a bridesmaid and then lost one, I fell out epically with my own mum and pretty much lost the plot a couple of times. But before I knew it, it was 2013. The wedding was now just 9 weeks away and for every person I could have happily slapped for telling me it would fly by, they were right!!!

The few weeks before were both boring and a rollercoaster at the same time. My dress had not gone to plan and wasn’t ready yet (separate dress report to follow!) but everything else was falling into place and my planning was paying off (I believe I even complained of being bored!) I was really quite taken aback with everyone else’s behaviour in these last few weeks, their excitement overwhelmed me, certain people really stepped up to the mark and took weights off my shoulders. D was the absolute cutest, clearly excited about me becoming his wife. No cold feet in our house! 2 weeks before I had my Mum down with me for a dress fitting and we had a lovely chilled out day, then the weekend before the wedding my best friend (and BM) came all the way from Liverpool to be with me even though it was just 5 days before she had to come all the way down again. She is the best. I luffs her. She kept me excited and squeeeed with me in unison!!!

Wedding week!

I still had to get through 3 days of work. These 3 days were some of the longest of my life EVER! Work was really busy and I kept having to sneak off to print wedding stuff or have my nails done in between pretending to work ?

Evenings were also pretty painful during the early part of the week and I suffered a mini meltdown every night, from my Granny saying she didn’t want to be in any photos, to finding out guests weren’t coming 3rd hand and contemplating the implications of that.

Finally though I finished work and I am not exaggerating when I say I woke up on Thursday morning feeling like a new person. I was calm, rational and nothing could phase me! [insertgirlpoweremoctionhere!]

So, with 2 days to go, we did what every normal bride and groom does. He went off to a job interview the other side of town and I went to the dentist and library… !! Whilst running my little errands I was fielding calls between venue, caterer, mum and my aunty about changing table plans and room allocations. Thursday night I stuck the table plan down.. man that felt good!

It really started to hit home at this point how close we were to getting the show on the road and although we had wedding stuff packed up, we had yet to pack any kind of overnight bags for ourselves.. what would I need, my hair & makeup was being done for me, did I even need anything other than pjs? (sounds trivial but I really did panic, I’m the kind of person who hates packing for holiday for fear of forgetting something)

Once we’d given up on doing any more jobs for the night we laid back and just let it sink in that this was our last night together pre marriage and that this really was real and yes we really did want to marry each other.

76 replies

Latest activity by Ali_G, 8 of April of 2013 at 14:41
  • Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Friday 1st March 2013 – The Day Before!

We got married an hour away from where we live and our parents were meeting us there (they don’t live there either). So we had a bridesmaid and an usher coming over with cars at 11.30am to help us get everything over there. It was manic getting everything packed and I was freaking out I’d forgotten something, literally pacing around as the other 3 sat having a cup of tea and munching on discarded table chocolates!! Once we drove off though I instantly felt relief that if it wasn’t en route or sorted already then it wasn’t going to happen and probably wasn’t important anyway! I swear my shoulders physically felt lighter. We were off to begin our wedding weekend. OURS! Not anyone else’s, not just a weekend away, OUR WEDDING! Cue lots of eeeeks from me!!!

We arrived just after 1pm at the venue. Took a while for everyone else to arrive and I was tapping my foot a bit impatiently but eventually everything was delivered and I talked our coordinator through the contents of each box (I got a gold star for how everything was organised per table/room!)

D and I then went our separate ways temporarily, we had the rehearsal later in the day but until then we were going to settle into our separate accommodations so he headed off to the pub he was staying in and I went off to the holiday cottage my parents had rented to be reunited with all my BM’s together and my immediate family. We spent a couple of hours catching up and getting excited then before we knew it, it was time to head back to the venue for the rehearsal.

We pulled in at exactly the same time as all the boys were arriving and D gave me a wave from the car! Rehearsal was brilliant, so loud, the verger said she’d never known such a rowdy rehearsal – this is where it pays off to have your godparents taking the service for you, we had lots of fun figuring everything out and D and I were so chilled. Unfortunately this meant I was incapable of making any decisions, I was asked things like did I want them to say ‘let no man set asunder’ or ‘let no man divide’ and just answered the question with a blank look that said “as long as we get married tomorrow I do not care!!”

After the rehearsal we should have gone our separate ways again, my godparents were joining us for dinner at the cottage and we were supposed to head straight back but for logistical reasons I won’t bore you with we needed to drop off my BM’s car at the pub D was staying in so clearly we couldn’t resist popping in for a cheeky drink with ‘the other side’!! Glad we did as I managed to bump into a few of my own guests having dinner there and also my Granny who was staying there (and ironically had been allocated the room next door to D!). We did eventually have to leave the boys to it though and head off for our dinner. It felt so weird saying bye to D but exciting as we knew we’d be in church next time we saw each other so we didn’t even get emotional we just got excited!

Back at the cottage and the girls had a surprise in store for me before dinner… How bloody gorgeous is the flower girl one!!

Dinner was fabulous, so chilled and so many laughs! Mum was hostess with the mostess and I let her enjoy the moment, we’d had some ‘moments’ through the planning but honestly my Mum came into her own for the weekend – I luffs her!

After dinner my Dad thought it would be funny to get the home videos out (I thought I’d avoid this by us being in a holiday rental but oh no!), funnily enough though it all backfired splendidly and everyone else was more embarrassed than me!! Me and the girls then shirked off to the bedroom and faffed about with nails and facepacks for a bit. I gave the girls their gift bags while the facepacks were on which was quite entertaining as they couldn’t even smile!!! A bottle of champagne later and it was 11.30pm, we decided we’d better get some shuteye for a busy day tomorrow… the girls all wished me goodnight and my mum popped her head round the door to tuck me in like a child ?

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Saturday 2nd March 2013

OMG I’M GETTING MARRIED TODAY!!! Was what went through my mind as I woke up with the larks.. only I couldn’t scream it out loud as no-one else was awake yet!! I lay there for ages just staring at my dress which was hanging just by my bed.

Finally the BM sharing my room started to stir, then I heard noise in the corridor.. my other BM’s were awake and my Mum was starting to bash about in the kitchen! One by one they popped their heads round the door for a little squeeee!!! Mum brought me a cup of tea in bed and went off to start cooking bacon *nomnom*

We girls all put our trackies on and trundled off to the kitchen to be greeted by the paparazzi (aka my brother!), Mum had laid on a great breakfast, I struggled to eat but I’d pre-warned my BM’s that if this happened they were to insist I ate something anyway! So much excitement and it was infectious!

Hair & makeup was being done at the venue from 9am so me and the girls had to load ourselves and the dresses into my car and head off – Mum Dad and brothers were joining us later.

Arrived at the venue to find H&MU and VOGs ready and waiting ? The next 2 hours were amazing, I don’t want to say it was the best part of the day because that would do a dis-service to what is to follow but it exceeded my own expectations. I thought it would be frantic and I’d be stressed but I was calm as anything, for that 2 hours it was just me, 3 BM’s the H&MU lady and Laura one of the VOGs. We sat around having a laugh while each of us took our turn having hair done, at one point myself and a BM even went off for a leisurely walk around the venue in our trackies – cue funny moment walking into the main barn and being asked if we were here for a showround…errr no love I’m the goddamn bride!!! ?

At 11ish other people started arriving and chaos ensued for about the next hour. 2x TOGs arrived, my FG and her family arrived, Mum & Dad rocked up, my brothers snuck in, flowers arrived, champagne was drunk and the noise levels just went up and up and up until I had to shout at my Mum to kick everyone out the room who was not waiting for H&MU!! That was my only bridezilla moment of the day but it was necessary!

I just want to take a moment for the flowers here. My jaw dropped. I nearly cried! They were amazing, exactly what I imagined and more. I tried to negotiate a swop with my FG but funny enough she rather liked her basket too and wanted to keep it!!!

After a chilled out start to the day, suddenly time started disappearing very fast and before I knew it I was being told I needed to go up to the bridal suite, both to hide from guests (some of whom had already waved at me through the window while I was having makeup done and they were checking into their rooms.) But I also needed to get the dress on. BM was in a bit of a dither about it as it was her responsibility to be in charge of buttons!

As I stepped into my dress, flanked by just my Mum and best friend the emotions started to catch up with me and I started to shake and sweat! Laura our VOG was in the room too although the camera was off and then another BM arrived in the room so calm was restored quite quickly but that was the only moment of the day I felt any kind of nerves!

️?️

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

The best thing about our venue… I didn’t need any cars!! I could walk to church… this walk was such a special moment, me, my girls, my dad and my gorgeous FG (who suddenly needed a wee as we were about to start walking, cue panic but disaster was averted!!). The venue accommodation is managed by an onsite couple who had looked after us all morning and then became our bodyguards as we set off for church (checking there were no guests outside still!) they walked half the way with us and then waved us off. We giggled like mad the whole way across and I kept being told to slow down as my BM’s were trying to hold my dress up!!

Before I knew it we were at the church doors, I was being swept along in a total whirlwind and suddenly here I was.. the moment I had waited so long for. The further along the planning we got the more terrified I became about ‘that moment’ when you walk in the church and everyone stares at you… but actually all that disappeared as soon as the door opened.. the vicar (my godfather) said in a loud authoritative voice ‘Please stand for the entrance of the bride’ and off we went…!!!

This one on the right is possibly one of my favourite pictures of the whole wedding day. The expressions on the faces of 5 people here just makes my heart skip. You’ve got me, happy as larry grinning away total opposite to how I thought I would feel, Daddy Nuts looks proud as punch, my best friend in the whole world who had restrained herself from crying at my final dress fitting and has been amazing all morning has finally cracked, OH has just looked round and looks excited and his brother, the best man is apparently whispering to him ‘she scrubs up alright’!!

Reaching the top of the aisle.. we look at each other and then he whispers to me ‘I need a wee!’ Cue me rolling my eyes..! (this is standard procedure, anytime we are anywhere important one of us needs a wee!)

A few more ceremony pictures, I will let them tell the story for me – except for something that no picture can ever capture.. when my H said ‘I will’ he said it so loudly and with such conviction that he had everyone in stitches!

️?️

We walked out to ‘I’m a believer’ (shrek anyone?!) and pretty much bounced out although I was going faster than him so kept having to check he was behind me!

After church we ended up doing an unintentional mini receiving line which was totally not planned but because we’d come out first and then everyone had to get past us to where they were going to throw confetti people wanted to congratulate us on their way past! Also, a top tip if it is at all chilly outside – give bridesmaids pashminas to MOB to take into church for them (assuming they aren’t wearing them up the aisle). My lovely Mum bless her went round my BM’s outside the church laying their pashminas over their shoulders (a couple of guests commented how seamless this was and the BM’s certainly appreciated it!)

Confetti shot.. explains itself really although it was a bit frustrating how long it took to setup, in the end I said something along the lines of “just bloody do it”

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

After the ceremony and confetti bits were over, we strolled over to the drinks reception where we had bucks fizz and beer (major brownie points for the beer!) and our guests munched on cupcakes instead of canapés (more major brownie points!) During all this we were outside having our formal photos done – I absolutely freezed my t*ts off but it was worth it. I held out until the BM/usher shots before putting my coat on!

️?️

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

While we had our ‘us’ photos done, our guests were called through for dinner. Apparently everyone had a good chuckle when they realised our table theme. Each guest had a bar of chocolate coinciding with whichever table they were on. This prompted some swopping between courses ‘I’ll swop you my twix for your dairy milk’. Twas funny!

We were announced into the room xfactor style with a recording I had the voiceover guy do when he worked at an event my company was running. (more brownie points from teenage cousins!)

Dinner was fantastic although I struggled to finish all of mine, even my chocolate desert ? think it was the adrenaline still! Was so pleased with how all the table plans worked out, we’d sat our parents on the top table but his parents together and my parents together rather than mixing it up which I think they really appreciated as for both them and us it was the first real moment to just sit and take it in, catch up and have a chat. H and I kept staring out at the other tables just people watching – watching everyone else have such a good time at your wedding..priceless.

As dessert ended, the atmosphere on the top table got rather more tense as those giving speeches realised it was nearly time and those on the receiving end (ie me!) got butterflies as to what was about to be said and the fact that everyone would be watching for reactions. But none of us need have worried, all 3 speeches exceeded expectation and I can’t wait to watch them back on our DVD.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

After dinner our magician arrived! Having wanted one for ages but felt like we couldn’t justify the cost I bit the bullet and booked one just 3 weeks before the wedding. I do not regret it – although I didn’t see much magic on the night myself, seeing everyone’s reactions and even now people saying how it’s still puzzling them how did he do xyz..!

During this time, before the main evening do started I needed a breather and wanted to freshen up so H and I headed over to the bridal suite and located BM on the way. It was nice to step back, BM then helped me to freshen up and we sat for about 5mins in the bathroom just nattering about the day so far.

When we went back down to the reception we realised some people had started to head back up into the main barn (where the bar was) and we hadn’t cut the cake yet so we quickly got the parents together and just cut the cake anyway! I vaguely remember thinking to myself that it was a bit disappointing how few evening guests had turned up so far as I thought it was later than it was. It was only afterwards when I looked at the timestamp on the photos I realised we had cut the cake a full half hour before planned and only just at the advertised start time for the evening – ooops!

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Once the cake was cut we headed into the main barn ourselves.

My gorgeous internet weirdo’s turned up, cue such loud squeels that we had to dash back out to the entrance hall ? Meant so much to me that these girls could come, they really have become true friends and after sharing our planning journeys together it was special to me that they could be there to see it come to life.

I was called off to do our first dance as people were itching to get on the dancefloor. Our first dance was Adele Feel My Love. We shuffled around a bit, did a few little twirls and then beckoned everyone else to come up. My best friend got all emotional again and so I called her to come dance with me, this left my H and her OH to dance with each other – funny!

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

The rest of the evening disappeared into a blur of shots, dancing with my dress hoicked up to my knees and much hilarity.

Fabulous day, amazing friends and family, such a great time had. We felt like the luckiest people in the world.

At the end of the night, the DJ came up to me and said did I have a end of the night song I wanted him to play.. I didn’t, so he suggested since he hadn’t played Greatest Day yet and it was on my playlist should he do that… so glad he did as it was quite a moment, everyone back up on the dancefloor all in a big circle belting out a classic piece of take that! Sadly I have no photos of this bit but the moment will live in my memory forever. ?

When it was time for everyone to go home, H & I had to try and make an exit in order to get everyone else to leave. We were staying at the venue, just a 30second walk. About 20 others were staying too so we all headed off. I went and took my dress off, put my bridal trackie back on and we all went into the lounge and enjoyed champagne, beer and wedding cake. The come down had begun but to quote one of my favourite fellow brides “if it wasn’t over then it would never have happened”

And that my friends is what happened when Nutty became Mrs Nutty.

Thanks to everyone who’s helped me along the way, my wedding journey would have been much more boring had I not found this site.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Suppliers:

Photos - Mydas Photography (some of the ones in the report are courtesy of my brother who acted as an unoffical TOG all weekend too!)

Video - Dream Wedding Video

Flowers - Nix Flower Studio in Whitton

DJ - A1 Discos

Venue - Wasing Park

Main cake - Mama Nuts and toppers by the lovely Kate at Love on Top

Canape Cupcakes - D's aunt with toppers supplied by MIL as a surprise

Hair & Makeup - Charlotte Elizabeth

And in case you missed them along the way, here's all the video links together

️?️ Bridal Preparations ️?️ Ceremony "I WILL!!" ️?️ Venue & Photos ️?️

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Oh you wicked woman- get it copied in here!

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

?

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Copy it FASTER!!! Smiley smile Smiley smile

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Hurryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppppppppppp!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

EEkkk the bar is soooo high for us 2013rs and Nuts hasn't even posted the ceremony yet!! Smiley laugh

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Hitched, sort out your website. It keeps crashing every time I try to upload a picture. That's why it's taking so long!!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Bloody hell, how many posts have you reserved for this epic?! Keep it coming, I love this so far!

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

Hurry up!

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Amazing so far!

Can't believe you even suggested skimming - NO WAY!! Far too good for that.

**LOVE** your dress, you look absolutely stunning / beautiful / gorgeous!!!!

Edit: Love your table plan! Do you have any flashes of your table set-up with it in place? Would love to see if you do!

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

What a fabulous report!! Congratulations, Mrs Nuts it all looks absolutely perfect!! Lovely *sigh* xx

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

Great report Nutty! You looked gorgeous!

Look forward to the honeymoon pics!

• unexpectedpenny
    Beginner January 2013
    unexpectedpenny ·
    • Hide content

Amazing report! I completely forgot you had the xfactor guy do you a recording! I'm so pleased you had an amazing time. Beautiful photos x x

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Fabulous report - read every word !

You looked amazing and I wish you both a happy life together as Mr & Mrs xx

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Fabulous report, Nuts! Lovely to read about your day, everything looked gorgeous Smiley laugh

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Fab report. You looked gorgeous. Congratulations to you both. x

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

This is a FAB report and you looked SO lovely!! I love you dress! your Husband looks happy as Larry Smiley smile

What a great wedding day! Congratulations x

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Fabulous Nutty one. Awesome report, you looked amazing and it sounds like a really wonderful day was had by all.

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

Firstly massive congrats!!! What a wonderful report, loved it. XFactor voice over is brilliant.

You looked beautiful, love your dress. Looks like such a wonderful day.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous! All of it.

Congratulations Nuts. So pleased you persevered with your dress. It looked wonderful.

• claire_91
    Beginner July 2014
    claire_91 ·
    • Hide content

It looks like an incredible day Smiley smile

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

There's so much I like in this report! I especially love the blue bridesmaid dresses with the sunflowers. The sunflowers stand out in every photo and look amazing.

And your dress is stunning.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! ? Loved reliving it as I wrote it ?

2013bride - I've just added a couple more table pics was that what you were after?

Lannyb27 - Beer is defo a good plan, we bought a package of 40pints, the venue lady was gobsmacked that it all ran out pre wedding breakfast as usually there's some left for table drinks too.. she promptly decided to ignore usual 'protocol' and opened the bar during the meal - they were raking it in ?

mandspice - I loved how the flowers turned out and the brightness against the blue ? They are actually gerberas not sunflowers.

• B
    Beginner June 2014
    Babbo ·
    • Hide content

Fantstic pics, and a great read... looks like you had a perfect day!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics