Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

My photographer has gone missing....

10 of January of 2013 at 10:13 Posted on Planning 0 17

Our photographer is not replying to emails/texts/phonecalls, but I can see that texts have been read land we have less than 4 months till the wedding!! Smiley sad

The last time we spoke was in Sept. I emailed him in Nov asking him a general question that I wasn't to fussed about a reply. I then emailed him early last week about arranging our engagement shoot and still nothing. Before this emails were answered promptly and if he was away there would be an automated response. We have phoned both mobile and land line and they ring out. After some MI5 snooping online my OH has found him to be active on a gaming forum, as in he was online last night!
My OH looked on his domain info and it is a different address to the one we sent the deposit too. One of my good friends is a wedding photographer and he has been able to do a bit of digging around and found out that in Sept our tog got into some trouble and asked someone to shoot a wedding for him and since then has not been around.

So basically, i'm looking for advice on how to get our deposit back. Luckily we have wedding insurance but don't want to go down that route unless we have to. We have written a letter to send to his address and will also email it aswel, but if he is not responding what more can we do? Is it ok to contact him via this gaming forum he goes on as we know he is active on there? Can we turn up at his house? Do we go down the legal route?

Thankfully, my friend has found a fab tog for us who is happy to shoot our wedding. I just hope there aren't many other brides who have been let down by him!

Thanks Smiley smile

17 replies

Latest activity by <3FutureMrsN<3, 10 of January of 2013 at 21:28
  • gizmobear
    Beginner September 2013
    gizmobear ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear this, and its the kind of thing I worry about when booking anything for my Wedding in Sept.

Do you have Wedding insurance? If you do, it may cover things like this so worth checking.

Keep us updated, let us know what happens. Good luck, and stay positive and keep your lovely Wedding in mind. I know thats easier said than done when money is involved, its hard not to get upset but I wish you all the very best.

• <3FutureMrsN<3
    Beginner March 2016
    <3FutureMrsN<3 ·
    • Hide content

Could you post the name so no other bride to be get sin to this mess with him x

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Is there much of an excess on your insurance? If not I'd go down that route and let someone else deal with the stress of chasing him down.

So sorry you are going through this so close to the wedding! Even if he did get in touch now, would you want him to shoot your wedding?

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear about this.

Deposits / retainers are very hard to get back if a supplier goes AWOL as most of the problems people get into involve money.

How much was the deposit, how much was the booking in total?

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Oof that's scary did he sign a contract with you?

• Hide content

I'd be interested to know who it is (by private email only)

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Likewise......☹️

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear that, Unfortunately this thing is a little more common than we would all like.

Deposit wise it is a bit of a nightmare as to be honest you would probably have to take them to the small claims court and that would only be after he didn't turn up for your wedding, the same is with insurance as they are less likely to do anything at this stage, I would speak to your insurance company see what they say, if im right (i have filled in for an AWOL photographer before) you may have to stick a note on your diary to chase him after the wedding and just forget about it for the short term.

If theirs anything we can do just ask.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

No offense, but I wouldn't go with this guy. Unless you're in l'hospital, it's really not hard to text "am unwell, sorry" or something, and also if it's true as soon as he's better he should've let you know about his absence, rather than you having to chase him. I wouldn't trust him to show up on the day at all! Are you legally bound to still go with this guy i.e. no way of getting your deposit back?

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly, especially if he is "so ill" he can manage to post on a gaming forum!! To be honest, its more annoying that he isn't just holding his hands up and saying he can't do it anymore, so you can get your money back! Hope you get it sorted ☹️ good job you have another tog on standby!

• Hide content

For funky_monkies...

Initial observations suggest photography is their second income. The price he charges isn't crazy amatuer low, he's mid range.

A service should be offered in return at a professional level. Always.

Their work is quite decent so it surprises me a little they are poor to respond.

I suggest they are being slack. Even if I was really ill I would respond to an email...even if it just said 'call an ambulance'.

I would start giving time frames for things to get done. There are a lot of togs out there who will fill his shoes who may even do a better job.

Further, they have a dead twitter and facebook feed. I get the feeling photography isn't for them / isn't all it cracked up to be.

Or maybe there's trouble at mill that's beyond his control. Who knows, regardless it needs to be taken in hand. Call them directly to pester them if need be or lose the £200 and find someone new. I would do the latter personally.

• Purple*Sparkles
    Beginner June 2013
    Purple*Sparkles ·
    • Hide content

LOL!!! Hope all gets sorted out for you x

• <3FutureMrsN<3
    Beginner March 2016
    <3FutureMrsN<3 ·
    • Hide content

Glad its all sorted x ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles