Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner December 2012

What flowers could I have in my bouquet?

kingfisher1923, 14 of November of 2012 at 19:03 Posted on Planning 0 7

Really hoping you can all help me out with some info here! My friend goes to a flower arranging class and has access to a wholesaler, and has offered to do my flowers, which is really kind of her. She's asked what flowers I'd like in my bouquet, and in the church, but I don't know much about flowers, and don't know what to suggest! and she doesn't seem to have many specific suggestions to offer, apart from roses and carnations…

I know about gerbera, peonies, lilies (the one thing I definitely don't want), but that's about as far as my knowledge goes, and I'm struggling to find any websites which show me pictures of different flowers with their names, and any info about which ones would be suitable to use in a bouquet.

I also have no idea which ones would be cost-effective at this time of year… (I’m getting married in a few weeks’ time).

Can any of you suggest any suitable flowers which I could look up, and/or direct me to any websites please? I can find lots of pics of beautiful bouquets, but I don’t know how to find out what sort of flowers are actually in them, or whether they’d be available in Dec, so I’m not getting very far at the moment! My colours are ivory and red.

Thanks so much :-)

7 replies

Latest activity by Kriek, 15 of November of 2012 at 21:42
  • Foote2c
    Beginner December 2012
    Foote2c ·
    • Hide content

Google cut flower wholesale and there,s a great site that comes up that'll tell you what,s available when and with pictures. For example I saw a lovely bouquet that had calla lilies but they are 'out of season' in December so I'm having roses instead. However, anything is available, but at a price depending on where it is flown in from.....

• Fran @ Hitched
    Beginner April 2012
    Fran @ Hitched ·
    • Hide content

Maybe you could make a moodboard of the wedding flowers that you like, in order to show your friend?

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-pictures/flowers/

Click 'save' on the images you like - and then head over to the moodboard section to create your own inspirational moodboard.

Fran

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about having berries or even pine cones mixed in with the flowers? I'm not very good with names of flowers etc but if you have pictures of things you like then a decent florist should be able to make suggestions.

I've even seen some with Poinsettia

This website has a few pics and the names of the flowers shown

https://www.brides.com/flowers-4692031

ETA - Just realised you said your friend might be doing them rather than a florist. If you're really stumped you could go into a florist for a consultation to give you a better idea of what to ask your friend for.

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Ah thanks for the replies, really appreciate that! What flowers are you all having in your bouquets? Or are you going to just specify the colours and leave it up to your florist? Does it tend to be mostly roses, or are people having other flowers?

• krebecca
    Beginner
    krebecca ·
    • Hide content

Hi.

This article is really useful (just google image the names):

http://www.confetti.co.uk/article/view/5049-8206-3-Match_your_wedding_flowers_to_your_season__Flowers.do

I really love anenomes, which you can get in ivory and probably red.

Incidentally, the article suggests calla lillies are in season in winter (?) and they would look lovely with red roses.

• Fran @ Hitched
    Beginner April 2012
    Fran @ Hitched ·
    • Hide content

There are also some really good, helpful articles relating to wedding flowers right here on hitched!

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-planning/flowers/

Let us know what you end up choosing.

Fran

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    coolartist87 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there kingfisher!

I to married in December last year and I also had red in my theme ( and black). I used silk flowers however due to the cost for the flowers I wanted at that time of year. I had red roses ( dark and crimson), black coloured spray berries, red Gerber daisys, deep red calla lilies, black/red hydrangeas, black feather sprays, and red/burgundy orchids. Sorry it doesn't help much with what's in season, but pointsettias are very plentiful around this time a year and come in read and ivory Smiley smile

cheers!

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I actually have no idea of the names of the flowers I'm having, I just know I'm having a few white roses and a mix of purple and red flowers. I think the berries we are having are called steel berries. I'll check the receipt from my florist at the weekend and see if there's any more info on there.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics