Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

***PB's Sunflower-Filled Wedding Report 5/8/12*** (Now with new and improved flashy goodness)

pandorasbox, 22 of August of 2012 at 12:33

Posted on Planning 66

OK this may be a record for quicket report ever, and possibly our first Hitched August 2012 report. Clearly I have far too much time on my hands! (jet lag means I am sitting around doing not much except typing) Well where to begin? I promised myself I wouldn’t bother writing a detailed report and...

OK this may be a record for quicket report ever, and possibly our first Hitched August 2012 report. Clearly I have far too much time on my hands! (jet lag means I am sitting around doing not much except typing)

Well where to begin? I promised myself I wouldn’t bother writing a detailed report and just do flashes instead, but it has been really nice reliving all the little details. Feel free to skim through for pics though, it is a bit flash heavy! Dave and I had an incredible wedding day, so many things went extremely smoothly which made up for the hectic week we had prior to the actual day!

Background

Dave and I had unknowingly lived around the corner from each other for many years, but as neither of us ventured into local pubs and so on we never really ran into each other socially. We actually met at our local Post Office, but didn’t officially ‘meet meet’ until I saw him on Match and sent him a message, but we still say the Post Office is where we first laid eyes on each other and have been known to sing along to the Rihanna song ‘We found love in a hopeless place’ but change it to ‘found love in a post office.’ I used to get sick of him holding up the queue with all his eBay parcels when I was trying to flog my old uni books on Amazon, and he apparently used to perve on my bum in my work trousers, but never dared speak to me – even after I had made polite conversation with him! We tried to incorporate a few Royal Mail-esque touches throughout the day such as our postbox and postcards to commemorate our meeting place.

We have had our ups and downs and we can both be very firey. Despite this we moved in together into our first rented house in May 2010 and on Christmas Day 2012 Dave proposed, and shortly after I became immersed in the wonderful world of Hitched! After we got the wedding more or less planned, we found a house to buy, got our kitties and life was more or less sorted.

The Run-Up

The weekend before was crazy… Neither of us had managed much sleep as Noisy Next Door folk went away and hired a team of builders in, ones that actually turned up and didn't just slack off all day. So every morning from about 7 they were hammering, drilling, unloading vans etc throughout the day and so on, all day right up until the evening. We were both running on empty, getting frazzled and having little annoyances crop up everywhere.

Then Dave’s granny went into hospital after going on an anti-gay rampage and upsetting herself, along with Dave’s gay sister, and knowing full well we were having a very gay-friendly wedding day. I was worried about her, but also worrying about the fact she was going on a religious mission to ‘convert’ our gay guests. She recovered quite quickly, luckily, but Dave was trying to deal with all that on his own. His dad (his business partner) and both sisters were on holiday at this point so he had been left to run the family business alone, as well as look after his granny. He spent Sunday night driving all over Manchester to get the men to try their suits on (only 2 out of the 5 were right) and back up to MRI to check on his gran.

Turns out his gran’s illness was not just stress after the hysterical family row, but an actual vomiting/diarrhoea virus. By Monday night, Dave also had it, along with anyone who had been in contact with his gran, her house (where the business is based) so in the end it affected all of Dave’s family and most of his colleagues, all of whom were our guests. Dave spent all of Monday night up until Wednesday suffering. Luckily I did not catch it, scrupulously scrubbing my hands after I had tidied up the bathroom when he had been ill, changing the sheets every day, and generally becoming totally OCD about the housework. Tuesday mum and I went to the venue to practice the aisle walk and see how the music fitted; I kept everything crossed that I wouldn't spread the virus germs to her or any of the venue staff!

By Thursday he was fully better, but it looked as if at least 10 of our guests would not be able to come due to illness. Around this point of the week I was past caring about the guest list and table plans, save for hoping they would soon feel better. (As it turned out, all of our day guests were better and made it and only 6 of our evening guests didn’t turn up, 2 of which was down to the virus). Mum and I had been to pick up my dress and found there were pin holes, loose beading and threads, and a few suspect orangey make-up looking stains. It fitted fine, which was all I cared about, and mum and I told ourselves nobody would notice the little flaws, not to worry, nothing could be done at this stage and so on. I decided I would deal with it after the wedding as I really didn’t want to give myself extra stress at this point.

By Friday afternoon our favours still had not arrived despite numerous promises from the company (they still haven’t though the company claim they have been delivered) so I annoyed over that. So many lovely Hitchers offered to come to my rescue, I was so touched. I can never thank the lovely ladies for the 2012 group enough for their generosity and kindness. In the morning my mum had called the dress shop back, they immediately said they knew how to solve the problems and to go back right away. Back to town again in mental traffic. In the 15 minutes it took for them to steam the holes closed and spot clean the stains I managed to sort out replacement favours from Thornton’s over the phone, pack Dave off to the Trafford Centre to collect them, and pick up ribbon from the craft shop next door to the dress shop so we could decorate the chocolate boxes. Job done! The dress was hung up in my mum’s spare room to allow any other creases to drop out.

Later on that day Dave and I dropped off the cats at the cattery and crashed out ready for an early start on Saturday to get to the venue, who were allowing us to set up behind screens hidden from that day’s wedding. Everything went fine with the set up, far easier than planned. Some of the linen was a bit creased or stained and the venue swapped everything until we were happy. Dave and I had a nice lunch together on the way back home, then he had to pack for the honeymoon. We had tea together then he left to stay at his grandmother’s place as it was important to him that we kept to that tradition (I wouldn't have minded us being together the whole time, but he wanted to be surprised when I walked down the aisle), my mum came round for a bit to keep me company. Earlier that day I had hidden her gifts in her bedroom, so when she got home from mine she found them and sat up til 2am reading her ‘Beautiful Mum’ journal! Dave was in his old bedroom doing the same with his ‘Gorgeous Groom’ one, so both of them were texting me til the early hours to say thank you - nobody got much sleep at all!

66 replies

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

PB you looked fantastic and did so well in keeping calm!

Congratulations!!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We did this too! OH's Grandpa carried his granny into the reception so we posed like that too.

ETA - Beautiful report!

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful report! Loved your bridesman! You two were every bit as glam as me and mine I dont know what you were talking about!

How you managed to stay so calm I dont know, well done you.

You both look so wonderfully happy together. Big congrats again. xx

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Fab report Pandora, sounds like you had a lovely day despite all the stress.

• BlueBow
    Beginner December 2013
    BlueBow ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous report! And you looked stunning!!

I'm amazed at how calm you stayed with the co-ordinator.

Love the pic of you and your OH posing the same as your grandparents, i'll have to remember that idea

• Sparkly Momma
    Beginner November 2013
    Sparkly Momma ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report! Am rather horrified about some of the stunts your venue pulled, but OMG the nut bit. I have a severe nut allergy myself so will now be making doubly, triply sure to be very clear with our venue on this! Congrats to you both Smiley smile

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Great report, congratulations on your day! And big congrats for managing to stay smiling through all that!

• xx Mrs Amor to be xx
    Beginner September 2012
    xx Mrs Amor to be xx ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report, congratulations! x

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

What a fantastic report. The most detailled I have ever read. Myfavourite bit was reading about how much your Mum was flapping about it all!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

PB this is fantastic! Such a lovely day. And you look amazing.

I really should post mine!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Such a lovely report and I loved your sunflower theme. You deserve a medal for not telling your co-ordinator off, how rude to have clients in your space on your day without speaking to you first, glad it didn't spoil your day.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report!!! You loked fab and I am amazed you kept your cool!

Where did you get married? I am macclesfield born and bred!

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! A lovely report. Everything looks beautiful, the LOVE cookies are great!

(I hope you complain to your venue about the total lack of regard for your wedding in showing other people round on the day.)

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Fab report and pics. Congratulations to you both.

• A
    Beginner June 2014
    Ashlili ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic report! Enjoyed it all. Not sure how you kept so calm on teh run up with all those things going on!!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Huge congrats PB, this is a fantastic report and I really enjoyed reading it. Looks like you had a lovely day despite the coordinator!!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for the lovely comments! Glad you all enjoyed reading it.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

LOVE the sweetheart table! And I'm toying with the idea of doing blue toenails, its fun! Lovely report!

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report, well done on staying calm through everything and you looked beautiful!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Love it love it love it!!!

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    Soon2bMrsMay ·
    • Hide content

Amazing report, i am pleased you had a good day, despite the co-ordinator! Stunning pictures!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. I am so pleased everyone likes reading it. I keep remembering little details and having to go back and add them in! Still got all the disposable camera pics to see yet, so may have to do more updates at some point.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Looks like you had a fab day! X

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Eeekkkk pandora congratulations looks like your day was beautiful despite your venue coordinator!! Hope you had a fab honeymoon too, we flew back yesterday had an amazing time! X

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

How thoughtful...the balloons and the cookies :-) . Well done at not turning into Bridezilla with the organisers, I'd have been seething ! xx

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Just got our disposable camera pics back, sadly they are not very good quality. OH says it is the camera's fault so if anyone was thinking of getting some I would say reconsider and provide cheapo digital cameras and discs instead! I have added a few extra flashes, mainly of the evening do so you can see the quality.

• Purple*Sparkles
    Beginner June 2013
    Purple*Sparkles ·
    • Hide content

Such an amazing report. As others have said before well done for remaining calm and not letting your venue staff and co-ordinater ruin your day. You have set a really good example and sound like you had an amazing day no matter what happened.

Jen x

• D
    Beginner August 2014
    Deb11 ·
    • Hide content

Fab report! Looks a beautiful day! Random question - where did you get your post box?! Love it! Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner August 2014
    Deb11 ·
    • Hide content

Fab report! Looks a beautiful day! Random question - where did you get your post box?! Love it! Smiley smile

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Aww what an amazing wedding report!!
    Really loved reading it and read every single word Smiley smile
    Sounds like you both had an amazing day despite the co-ordinators carry on and catering troubles, handled it very well though.
    Love the pics, you looked beautiful and everyone looks like they had an amazing time at your wedding Smiley smile Love the pic of you both copying your grandparents, lovely!
    Congratulations to you both xx

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Thanks folks. Can't believe it has been almost a year!

Deb we got it from here: https://www.yourweddingpostbox.co.uk/

• D
    Beginner August 2014
    Deb11 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! I still have a year to go (tomorrow!!) but will definitely keep this in mind! Such a fab idea!

ps we're also having sunflowers and blue - great minds!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics