Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

jojo2
Beginner June 2012

*******jojo2 wedding report*******

jojo2, 29 of June of 2012 at 13:31 Posted on Planning 0 81

Background

E and I met in 2008 in a chance meeting. I was newly separated contemplating life as a single mother with a young child who I will refer to as T who happens to have autism so has additional challenges. E worked in the Cruise Industry and was on a business trip. We hit it off straight away and what I thought would be a long distance friendship soon flourished into a long distance relationship. He flew back and forth to the UK 5 times in 12 months and T and I made a few trips to Australia. We planned to move to Oz but the level of care and provision for Autism in the UK could not be matched over there so he made the big decision to give up a great life there so we could be together here. We got engaged in October 2010 and from then on the wedding planning began.

81 replies

Latest activity by jojo2, 21 of March of 2013 at 14:15
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Crying already. It's like a film!

• teapotty
    Beginner October 2013
    teapotty ·
    • Hide content

This is lovely already, more please!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Oh it's worked great stuff!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Wednesday 6th June

During the next 3 days we were expecting 24 overseas guests to arrive into the UK for our wedding who would be staying at the venue. E had arranged a BBQ and drinks on Thursday at our house and a meal for everybody in Stratford Upon Avon on the Friday so there was a lot of work to be done. The day was spent, shopping, waiting for carpet cleaners to arrive to spruce up the main carpets, me and my mother scrubbing and polishing and basically mentally preparing ourselves for the whirlwind of activity to commence.

We had our first overseas wedding guest arrive tonight from Argentina. He is a long time friend of E so we went to pick him up from the coach station and brought him home. I had cooked a roast chicken and roast veg and opened a bottle of red so whilst I was getting that prepared and my son ready for bed the 2 fellas were chatting away. He bought us a beautiful ornamental bowl with alpaca handles from Argentina and a wine bottle holder as a wedding gift, along with a traditional ornament for my son with his name engraved in it. I thought this was so sweet of him. We stayed up until 11.30pm talking and I enjoyed listening to them regaling stories of their early days in Australia. The next morning E’s daughters were arriving on an early flight from Australia so we got off to bed for what was to be the beginning of non stop activity.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Thursday 7th June

We woke up at 8am as the girls coach was due in at 9.30am. E was a bit anxious as he hadn’t seen them for a few months and the prospect of them seeing dad re-marry weighed on his mind as to how things would go. He needn’t have worried though as they were so happy to be here. We went in 2 cars and got to the pick up point early. When the coach arrived it was lovely to see them and partners. We loaded my car with the luggage and they travelled to our house with E. They couldn’t check into the wedding venue until 11am so we all caught up talking eating warm croissants and toast with jam and tea which was well received after a 22 hour flight. We had recently changed our car and I was due to pick it up that day as well as a few other jobs so decided to make a start on the salads for that night. I had prepped some green salads and stored them in the fridges. I began cutting up some melons whilst chatting away and it happened! The knife jolted in my hand and sliced straight into my thumb. It felt like a little sting so I wrapped it up and carried on. E took his daughters off to the venue and I carried on prepping food. My mum turned up to help which was a relief as I had my son running around the house needing to be taken care of. She eventually left as I was due to go and collect my car when it dawned on me that I had changed my dressing several times and was bleeding 4 hours later. I decided to take my son to mums and go to A&E as I knew it could take hours. Well it did! I had the car salesman ringing me asking where I was, the clock was ticking for our guests to arrive at our house so after an hour waiting I thought my finger had stopped bleeding so I got up and walked out and drove to pick up my new car. It was pouring with rain, I raced to the dealers and when I put down my brolly the spokes stabbed right into my freshly cut wound. I walked into the dealers a bit stressed at this with blood pouring everywhere, they had to give me 1st aid whilst I signed all of the paperwork.

That was the quickest car handover I have ever experienced. With 90 minutes until our guests were due I raced back to A&E and humbly booked myself back in. I sat waiting and rang my mum and sobbed. I had left my son with her for hours, I was stuck in A&E I wanted to spruce myself up for my guests and looked like a drowned rat covered in blood, not exactly the 1st impression I wanted to make on his family and friends. I left the hospital with a fat bandage on my thumb which was to be kept on for a week even though I pleaded for something smaller as I was getting married on the Saturday, the Dr couldn’t care less! It wasn’t until I got back into the car I saw the blood all over my shiny new steering wheel.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I finally got home and E was looking a little anxious but bless him, he had laid out glasses, cutlery and drinks and was just leaving to collect his family from the venue so the others could follow in a convoy. My mum said she would bring T later with her so I could get ready so I jumped straight into the bath, and changed into a black dress and court shoes and re –did my make-up. The guests were arriving as I finished getting ready. I came downstairs to a full house and the rest of the evening flew by with loads of food, wine and a great night. It was lovely to see E reunited with all of his friends and family again. I dreaded having to entertain everyone so close to the wedding but it was a great idea as it was a real ice breaker and a good opportunity to meet everyone beforehand. The last guest left at 11.30pm. Thankfully mum and I cleared up throughout the night so not to much work to do in the morning. Before bed I checked the weather forecast, “dry weather predicted”

• teapotty
    Beginner October 2013
    teapotty ·
    • Hide content

Oh no!! What a thing to happen!! My heart is actually racing thinking about what you must have been going through!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Friday 8th June

I woke up around 8am, got T dressed and left him with E as I had a nail and pedicure at 10am. I gave him his wedding gift a beautiful ceramic Tag heuer watch he had his eye on for some time. He was shocked to say the least but I told him it was the least I could do for some one who has given up so much, I really couldn’t put a price on that. E had 2 more sets of guests arriving and the suits to collect for the BM so after my appointment I rushed to M&S to get bunches of fresh white flowers for the stem vases, helium balloons for the children and nice yummy food to eat as I knew I wouldn’t have time to cook and raced back home to look after T whilst E raced off to collect a BM from the train station. My friend arrived with my mum around 2pm as all of the wedding décor I had been hoarding over the last 18 months had to be delivered to the venue ready for Sherrie in the morning. I strapped T in the front and loaded up the car and off we went. As we had the venue to ourselves from the Friday until the Sunday we unloaded into reception and the staff looked after everything for us. The chair cover lady had almost finished setting up and Green Claws had set up their lighting too so it was lovely to see things taking shape. The ceremony room and the dining room looked beautiful just needed the centrepieces I had ordered so long ago to take their place and finish it off.

There was nothing else to do so I headed off home with T and started packing his case to take to his daddies on Saturday night and my overnight case and all of the gifts. E came home with his brother to get his suitcase and gave me a hug and a kiss and said goodbye. I was so preoccupied with packing and T that I was a bit blasé and it wasn’t until he had gone I thought to myself “oh no” It dawned on me I wouldn’t see him until I walked down the aisle. Another good friend of mine arrived with 2 fruit wedding cakes she had made. We ended up eating dinner together and she helped me pack. She was supposed to give me a massage but time was running away so it didn’t happen. Eventually she left, I put T to bed had a bath and my mum arrived. We opened a bottle of champagne and watched Bridesmaids together just as I planned and it was lovely! Until E text me at 11.30pm to say 2 people had cancelled so there wasn’t much we could do. I put my phone down and thought like hell there isn’t. I wasn’t prepared to look at 2 empty seats and watch $$ go into the bin so mum and I racked our brains thinking who we could bump up. I opted for 2 cousins who would have loved to have attended all day so I rang and got no answer, well it was 11.30pm! I decided to text and actually got a reply that they could come. Mission accomplished! I went to bed around midnight but before doing so checked the weather forecast as it was still raining, “dry weather predicted”.

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Excellent work so far, more, more!

?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Saturday 9th June

Well I slept like a log which surprised me and I woke feeling great, the sun was shining for the first time all week. Mum stayed at my house so she could look after T whilst I went to the hairdressers. My appointment was 7.30am so I got showered and tried to eat breakfast but with great difficulty as I couldn’t swallow. I think it was nerves. I got to the hairdressers and she set to work washing, blow drying and GHD’ing my hair and then putting in my extensions. My short hair was suddenly transformed into long luscious locks and I felt so glam even without any slap on my face. Why on earth did I cut my hair last year? When she put the beautiful tiara loaned to me by Kharv into place I was done and earlier than expected so I raced to my car getting a few odd looks probably thinking I was doing the walk of shame (must be the tiara and boob tube on a Saturday morning). I told mum she could go and sort herself and my Gran out and I would see her at the venue at 12pm. Her job was to do up my dress and bring KFC for T as he needed to eat something he liked before the wedding and that is all he likes (T has autism and follows strict routines but that is another story, but explains the dinosaur and angry bird in all of our photo’s). At this point I felt really calm, Mum had bathed T so I got him dressed then sat, watched TV and tried to eat a sandwich. I planned to get to the venue at 12pm but when I got a call from my Dad and BM’s to say they were at the venue having travelled from London I thought to myself what am I doing? If I wanted to see Sherrie, the florist or chair cover lady I should get there before they left so I scrambled everything together, dresses, gifts, cases and food and T and his toys and sped off to the venue. Luckily it is 15 minutes from my house but E was due back from taking his female guests to the hairdressers in town within 30 minutes so if I wanted to avoid seeing him I had to get up to the suite quickly. I left everything in the car raced to meet Sherrie who was busy on the floor snipping rose stems and the chair cover lady who was just leaving. The Rooms looked amazing!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Jo I'm devouring every word! Fantastic!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I made my way upstairs with T then text my sisters to come and get my car keys. They unloaded everything and brought it upstairs to me whilst I stayed hidden away. T was happy exploring the suite and four poster bed playing with his toys whilst I admired the beautiful flowers the florist had left on the bed, watched people scurrying around outside and listening to the voices and laughter in the Great Hall below. I felt like the princess in the tower. Watching the VOG filming the grounds, cars being turned away from the front of the building so they weren’t in any photo’s and E’s family taking in the English countryside.

My BM’s took their dresses and got changed. T’s nanny arrived at 12pm and entertained Theo whilst I sat waiting for my MUA to arrive trying so hard to eat my favourite M&S sandwich and cream scone but my throat was clamped shut with anxiety. The MUA arrived at 12.30pm and set to work. [insert MUA picture]

What was a calm environment descended into a very crowded manic room. 3 BM’s, 1 tiny flower girl, 1 rampant page boy, a nanny, VOG, TOG and stressed MOB running back and forth all with lots of, nerves, laughter, questions and getting in each others way. We popped open the champagne and started to drink to calm the nerves. I was a bit concerned that every time my Mum came into the room that she was in her combat trousers and T.shirt as she was supposed to be dressed and ready to put me into my dress and it was 1pm. It turns out Gran was taking ages to get ready so she had to help her and her wing was a 3 minute fast walk from the Manor house so Mum was all hot and bothered. I sort of snapped at her to go and get dressed and come back so she disappeared.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

My make up was done so I sat and waited for Mum whilst my BM had her eyelashes put on in the bathroom (why didn’t I think of doing my make up there)?

It was quite calm and I thought this is fine I have 45 mins then there was a knock at the door. The co-ordinator reminding me the registrars wanted to see me in 10 minutes. “Damn it I totally forgot about them and wasn’t dressed and no sign of my Mum to do up my dress. It was panic stations, The Nanny and my BM started to do up my dress whilst the other 2 watched the children. We just started to lace up when I yelled stop I need a wee! So climbed out the dress and ran topless across to the bathroom, I couldn’t care less who was in the room at that point. The dress lacing started again at which point mum walked in looking beautiful but a bit frazzled, I started to ask her where she had been but the look on her face said it all so I

told her not to worry and asked her to put my shoes on whilst the 2 girls continued to lace me up. E had bought me some gifts one was a Tiffany box, the other was a badly wrapped box and a box of 4 personalised cup cakes from my favourite cake maker so I opened my pressies as I was being dressed. Inside was a heart diamond pendant, Swarovski ear rings and also a beautiful letter he had written to me.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

You are beyond stunning Mrs.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Finally I was ready, T was dressed and fed and all of my BM’s looked beautiful. Just in time the co-ordinator came to get me and my dad was outside looking so Dapper. He gave me a cuddle and a kiss and waited for me to come back from the registrar. I was fortunate to have the same lady who I gave notice too so it was very relaxed and went very quickly. After a few pictures we made our way down to the ceremony room

trying to run out the fire exit!!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I had told the BM’s to walk in slowly in time to the music. I had asked the pianist to play “so amazing” by Luther Vandross as it is such a beautiful song with lovely words. Well as the first few keys were played I looked at my dad and said “Oh no this song is too much, I am going to cry” he panicked and said “no don’t be silly” but it was too late, tears streaming and 2 more BM’s to go in I couldn’t control it. I told myself to suck it up as I didn’t want my gurning face in all of my photo’s so took deep breaths and focussed on smiling and waving at my dear friends and family as I made eye contact with them then I saw E and the tears stopped. He looked so proud smiling from ear to ear and my slow walk seemed to speed up confusing my poor dad.It was so lovely to be finally stood holding his hands. Apparently my son T who is not very verbal for an 8 year old shouted out “Hi E, so nice to see you” when he walked down the aisle before me which made everybody laugh and totally relaxed E’s nerves.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

The ceremony flew past with 1 reading and before we knew it we were Man and Wife. It was then a flurry of kisses and guests taking pictures, then we made our way back down the aisle with signed sealed delivered being played on the piano. We walked through the Octagon Room to find our Chimney sweep waiting for us to wish us luck, give me a kiss and hand me a piece of coal for luck which was a real novelty for our Aussie guests to witness

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

The tinkly sounds of our steel band assembled on the patio, it was a lovely atmosphere but after a few group shots the wind picked up so we moved the band in and the guests followed too whilst we took our photo’s. The 90 minutes of drink, music and revelry flew past and before we knew it, it was time to eat

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

don't ask me what he was saying ;-)

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

As it had rained all week our South African guest used a traditional ritual of putting a broom in a tree which apparently keeps the rain away. Housekeeping had to lend the lady a broom and I am pleased to say it definitely works.

The magic broom!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOVE this!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

We decided to make our entrance down the stairs to the room for our wedding breakfast praying I wouldn’t trip but E did step on my train! We had a fabulous meal of salad, Beef and lemon tart with clotted cream and sorbet then on to the speeches. They were short and sweet apart from E’s brothers who kept on accidentally calling him his sons name throughout the entire speech. E’s speech was funny and touching. He is quite straight laced and struggles to show his emotions so when he addressed his daughters at how touched he was that they chose to attend and how happy it made us his voice cracked then silence and there they were, tears. This promptly set me off and I touched his hand thinking I would have to finish his speech. I wasn’t aware my Dad was doing the same thing until I saw this photo. He also expressed his love for T and how he knows he will always have challenges but will always be there for him as if he was his own son. More tears from me, oh dear!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Our guest from Bangkok surprised us with a Thai love song which was beautiful and totally unexpected, T not wanting to be out done asked for the microphone and started to recite “Cat in the hat” talk about angry birds and start singing at which point I rescued our guests from what could go on for hours of T enjoying hearing his voice amplified.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

You are gorgeous, your son is gorgeous, your dress is gorgeous. Loving this. The picture of you and your dad touching your Hubby [:'(]

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

Argh tears rolling down my face here, what a wonderful report, so moving. What a wonderful couple you are, I wish you all the happiness in the world ?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

The meal was concluding around 6.45pm so we made our way out for more photo’s, freshened up and started to greet our evening guests who were arriving.

The evening was a fantastic party. We did our cake cutting then had our first dance to a reggae version of “lets stay together” followed by our DJ making us re-enact a Grease Medley to our guests delight

• MrsA2012
    Beginner July 2012
    MrsA2012 ·
    • Hide content

Trying to to cry as sat in an open plan office!

I love how personal to you this whole day feels. I can tell you all had a fantastic day. Can't wait to read the end!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

We partied hard and only stopped to eat cake, sushi and an array of wonderful food and use the photo booth which was a hit. Our TOG was due to leave at 8pm but stayed until 11pm partying with his wife so I made use of him. The flip flops and hospitality basket in the ladies went down a real treat as the ladies were making some serious moves on the dance floor and not one bit of detail went un-noticed so it all felt so worth it.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

The night ended at 1am with mainly E’s golf buddies still going for it. I was exhausted, T had been taken to his Dads so it was a relief to have a shower, get out of the dress and collapse with a cup of tea. It was a wonderful feeling spending our first night together as man & Wife. The bottle of Lanson left for us by the venue was packed away into my case for another day!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

And we all lived happily ever after x

Thanks for reading!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics