Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

sal.san
Beginner December 2011

Sal.San Wedding Report - Lots of Flash

sal.san, 9 of January of 2012 at 15:58 Posted on Planning 0 37

My apologies for the delay in writing this but no excuse really, apart from Christmas and the New Year, drinking and eating too much and generally having a well earned break. Here goes folks, hope I don’t bore you too much.

The week leading up to the wedding was relatively calm. On the Monday, I couldn’t force my hass out of bed at silly o’clock to go to Bootcamp so I decided to go for a run at a more healthy time of the morning (8.30). Looking back, it was pretty stupid as the roads were rather icy and I could easily have gone on my hass but alas, managed to get back in one piece!! Tuesday I did get to Spin class at a stupid time (6.45am) but then I knew that would be the last at the gym until after the wedding.

The following few days were relatively relaxed, finalizing bits and pieces. I collected the cake on the Wednesday and took it to mums as she was doing the rest. Later that day, I had my spray tan which I was pleased with.

On the Thursday, again pottered and packed up the hundreds (or what seemed like hundreds of them) boxes etc to get ready to take to the venue. Packed my bags to stay at mums, packed our overnight bags for our wedding night etc.

It was really strange going to bed on the Thursday as I knew it would be the last time I would sleep there as a “miss”!!! We had a lovely night and opened a bottle (or 2) of wine.

I knew Friday was going to be a bit manic so was up bright and early with an excitement bubbling away inside. I left before H to get to mums and unpack some of the stuff that was to stay there and H went to pick his mum up. They arrived at mums and then we packed mums car up and then we all trundled to our venue (all 3 cars!!) to unload.

We were unable to set up the evening hall until 2 in the afternoon which wasn’t a problem so we had a bite to eat in the Student Union bar/restaurant. The weather at this time was bright, dry and cold – just perfect and what I wanted! We managed to set up the hall in record speed – really really pleased with how it looked, set up the photo props and sweetie table and decorated all the tables. My best friend came along too and took some photos which was lovely. Mum, H and mum in law then left and I showed my best friend where everything was, the ceremony room, etc etc.

Had 5 minutes with H before he left and the whole thing was surreal. So wonderful and so exciting to think that in less than 24 hours I would be marrying my knight in shining armour. My last 4 words to him were “see you at 1pm”.

Time was ticking on now (coming up to 3.45) and I had my nails booked 4.15pm. Walking to the car park with best friend and realized that I had “lost” my cars keys!! Panic panic panic!! Phoned H and mum and they didn’t have them, traced my steps back to the venue etc and thank the lord, they had been handed in!! Rushed then to have nails done (Shellac – would really recommend these as mine lasted nearly 3 weeks).

Got back to mums and gave mum and my niece their tee-shirts and then went to pick up my sister and 3 nieces to go and visit dad. They all had their tee-shirts too. Poor dad was being invaded by one crazy bride to be, one super hyper 7 year old flower girl, 3 “normal” bridesmaids, one nutter chief bridesmaid and his super gorgeous and beautiful wife. Luckily, we asked if dad could go in the day room and it was lovely just to spend time with dad, all girls together. We opened a bottle of fizz. Just before we left, I gave both mum and dad a card and also the “My Beautiful Parents” Journal. Mum started reading it and by the 2nd page, just fell to pieces. Can you just imagine me, mum, dad, sister and 3 bridesmaids bawling by the side of the bed. When we all had calmed down, they all said goodbye to dad and I had 5 minutes on my own with him which was truly magical. His baby girl was getting married. I told him that I loved him so much and that I would always be his baby girl and that I would see him tomorrow. It was heartbreaking to leave him. (On a side note, as some of you are aware, Dad had a major stroke 4 months ago and was very poorly in the beginning. He has come on leaps and bounds since he first went in but is still not able to walk yet. We have had a very emotional rollercoaster last few months.)

We got back to mums and opened the champagne. I had a beautiful card from mum and dad and also a card from my sister, again more tears shed. Mum and sister also got me a white hoodie with “bride” on the back and Mrs J on the front. I then gave the girls and mum their pamper gift bag which went down a storm with them all.

It was a very emotional and surreal evening thinking that “I am getting married tomorrow”. Watching the “hubbub” of the girls having their rollers in, drinking champagne, enjoying my last nite of freedom, etc, was so unbelievably amazing.

I gave the girls their orders at which time to be up and showered – that went pie in the sky! I slept very well and set my alarm for 6. My sister was up the same time as me and we went downstairs and made a cuppa!! Felt a little “woozy” – doesn’t help drinking champagne and not going to bed until midnite!!! Hairdresser arrived at 7.30 and started on the girls.

You really wouldn’t have thought that there was a wedding going on that morning as the whole house was very calm indeed. The champagne was opened at 9 and I enjoyed a glass or 2 whilst the girls and I were being done.

During the morning, mum asked me how I felt and in all honesty I can say that I felt as calm as a cucumber and no tears!! It was a very calm morning and I know I was always thinking of dad etc but was trying to hold myself together for everyone. When my flowers arrived, I started to cry as they were exactly what I wanted and more!! My florist did me so proud. They were amazing.

The next thing I knew it was midday and I wanted to leave at 12.30!! Time to get dressed! Once I put my dress on, I fell in love with it all over again. My sister and nieces came in and cried. My hairdresser came up then to put my headpiece in and she cried too. I was trying to hold it together for everyone until I saw mum!!! More tears.

The cars then arrived and the weather was just what I booked – cold, bright, sunny and dry. We had arranged to meet dad at the venue as he was arriving in a taxi straight from the hospital. I arrived at the venue 20 minutes early and had photos in the car with mum first and then got out and saw dad! I could hear him saying “where is my girl”!! He burst into tears and so did I. We had photos before we went in and I then had to go and see the Registrar.

Bang on 1pm, the music started and the girls went in. I walked in with dad holding his hand and if im totally honest, I cannot remember a thing about walking down the aisle. My nephew was pushing dad in his wheelchair and there wasn’t a dry eye in the house. I can remember giving my dad a kiss and then kissing H.

During the ceremony, there were a lot of tears and I could hear mum saying to dad “come on darling, hold it together”, my dad’s response was “why should I when nobody else is”! This was dad’s personality and humour shining through. (Due to the stroke, dad was very emotional but now is a whole lot better due to him being on a low dose of anti-depressants.)

Before I knew it, we were officially Mr and Mrs J and claps, tears and shouts rang around my ears. It truly was a magical moment and one that I will treasure forever.

We then went outside and the weather was beautiful. We had some fabulous photos taken and I can remember taking a step back at one point and looking at all my wonderful friends and amazing family and thinking, this is mine and H’s day! Everything, so far, was perfection.

After the photographs, we went inside to have a champagne reception. It was wonderful to mill around talking to our friends and family and thanking them for being part of our day.

We knew that dad had to be back at the hospital by 4 ish as he was only allowed out for a maximum of 3 hours. Whilst he was with us, he did his speech during our champagne reception. There is a photo with dad making his speech with my sister, brothers and nephew by the side of him. This was one of the most emotional parts of the day for me and every single one of our guests. I looked around at one point and there wasn’t a dry eye around me. I was so very proud of dad at this moment and it totally broke my heart when we wheeled him back to the taxi. My sister and brother in law went back with him and they said that he was sleeping by the time he got back to hospital.

Time flew past and before we knew it, we were welcoming guests in for the wedding breakfast. All our guests were seated and then we were introduced as the new Mr and Mrs Jones – how fab did that sound to me?!?!

We ate our wonderful lunch and then H did his speech which he spoke in verse and, if I may say so, was simply superb! (I will try and remember to post in on here – it makes me go all goosey and laugh out loud every time I read it.) I then did my speech and yes, you guessed it, cried as did numerous others, and then the speeches were rounded off by our bestman. I was very conscious that we were running late and that our evening guests had started to arrive so both myself and H quickly made a dash to our evening room to greet our guests.

The party started and guests and more guests arrived. The kids (and big kids) absolutely loved our photo props table and soon tucked in to the sweets on the sweetie table.

I think it was about 9pm that we had our first dance to “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” by Aerosmith. Towards the end of this song, we asked our friends and family to join us on the dance floor which was fab.

I don’t think the dance floor was ever empty and I think I sat down for about 5 minutes in total all evening.

Before we knew it, our fabulous day was coming to an end. We said our goodbyes and waited with our best man and his wife to go to our hotel.

When we got to the hotel, all I wanted was to sit on a comfy sofa, kick of my shoes and enjoy a glass of champagne – this is what I did. It was truly beautiful to have half an hour or so to relax with H and his bestman and wife.

I can honestly say that this was truly the most wonderful, amazing, emotional day of my life. People have asked me how did it go and my answer has and always will be, “everything I wanted and more”. I knew that everything would go together but to see it together was a dream come true. It truly was a fabulous day and everything I wished and dreamed for.

It was wonderful to see all the people who mean the world to us together on one day. Friends and family are so precious and what I have learned over the last few months is to grab life by both hands and treasure every single moment of life.

We are having a blessing later this year when dad is more himself and I am one very lucky girl to get to wear her dream dress again.

People have also asked me “how do you feel now you are married”. My one and only answer is “complete”.

Thank you and congratulations if you have got this far and I will leave you with some, well actually quite a lot, of photos.

Sally xxx

my beautiful and adorable mum and dad

my niece just looking very cool!

the new Mr and Mrs!

brilliant sun even though it was 10th December

More photos to follow Hitchers - unless you have had enough already ? xx

37 replies

Latest activity by Vanilla Pod, 13 of January of 2012 at 23:25
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*wipes away tear*

LOVLEY report SS!!! You looked absolutly amazing, and im not just saying that!!!

• SassyT
    Beginner August 2013
    SassyT ·
    • Hide content

Ohh, that report made me well up!!

The pictures with your dad are so so lovely.

Your HUSBAND looked very dapper in his kilt too!!

More pics please!!

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    nicadele ·
    • Hide content

You look beautiful and sounds like you had an amazing day!

Its lovely to see and hear that your dad was able to be there with you after being ill!

Your hair piece is stunning - if you dont mind me asking where is it from?

x

• Hollie1984
    Beginner July 2012
    Hollie1984 ·
    • Hide content

LOVELY report, you had my welling up at my desk!!

You looked beautiful and sounds like you had the perfect day - congratulations!

H x

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

So amazing! I love the way you finished your report, the bit about complete!!! Congratulations! Smiley laugh

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Oh that made me cry!!!

Congratulations xx You look amazing, love the fluffy feathery cardi !!!!

• Jonesey
    Beginner June 2012
    Jonesey ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Such a lovely report and I'm also tearful after reading it. Stunning photo's. I'm going to be a Mrs Jones too in 5 months so I'll be joining the "Mrs J" club * I can't wait!! x

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Nic, to be honest, i am not totally sure what make etc. I bought it from a shop local to me (South Wales). I will have a look in my now defunct ☹️ wedding file and will get back to you tomoro, if thats ok. xxx

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Little bit crying at this beautiful report. what an amazing family you have.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

It all looks lovely, congratulations!

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous report and lovely pictures. Really made me well up. Congratulations - so pleased your dad could be there.

• hopefulmum2b
    Beginner August 2012
    hopefulmum2b ·
    • Hide content

Wow you looked like you had a wonderful day.

pics are fab xx

• Flamin Nora
    Beginner August 2013
    Flamin Nora ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely report, never too many pictures! Congratulations!!

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

That report was very lovely and emotional ! Congratulations your pictures are lovely. I love your dress and the feathery bolero/wrap!

• Mrs-HFA
    Beginner December 2012
    Mrs-HFA ·
    • Hide content

That was lovely, you looked beautiful and it was so nice that your Dad could give you away.

• essex_charlene
    Beginner September 2012
    essex_charlene ·
    • Hide content

So beautiful xxx

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

I'm sat in tears here so very happy for you both and that your dad was their to witness it!!

lots of hugs xxx

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh brought a tear to my eye this report Smiley smile

I'm so happy for you that your dad was able to be there on your big day Smiley smile

Sx

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Nic, it was an Arianna Pearl Flower Side Tiara. Hope this helps. Sal xx

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Stunning report and beautiful pictures. Congratulations!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! You look beautiful and your dad ROCKS! Welcome to the OMs Club!

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Found a website for you https://www.ariannatiaras.com/products/tiaras/side-tiaras/ar323-arianna-product.html

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    nicadele ·
    • Hide content

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely report. You look beautiful and so glad your dad was there to give you away. Xx

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report Sal.San, one of the most emotional ones I have read. Congratulations on your beautiful and complete wedding day x

• L
    Beginner June 2012
    lele_1985 ·
    • Hide content

*sob*

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

Your report and pictures are really lovely.. Your day sounded so perfect. If my day goes as perfectly as yours did I'll be a very happy and lucky lady ? xx

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report has bought tears to my eyes, congratulations you looked like you had the day of your dreams!

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies - it truly was an amazing day.

CookieKat - i just loved my wrap! i was calling it my "fluff" all day. It was some sort of feathery thingy........ great description hey!

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations...I needed to go grab a hankie half way through. Love the pictures.xx

• E
    Beginner December 2011
    eternallyme ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Beautiful report Sal... very emotional and had me in tears throughout! I'm so glad that you had the day you wanted and deserved! Seeing you and your dad together really shows what a lovely father/daughter bond you have and also your mum looked beautiful and very proud of you both. Also Mr J looked rather daper in his kilt!

And finally, you looked stunning and I hope that you enjoy getting to wear your dress again!

I loved what you said about how it feels to be married as people keep asking me if i feel different and when i say yes, they don't seem to understand it! I just feel calmer and more secure but your word sums it up better. I shall start using 'complete'!

Much love and hugs!

Deb

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

Awww!!!! so fab. so thrilled for you that you had a perfect day. totally deserved and if anything it seems that what you've been through has only mad you appreciate it all the more.

I'm so pleased it was so great. your hair and dress are absolutely stunning - really gorgeous. love oh's kilt too!! but where were these extra photos??

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics