Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner October 2012

Essex venue help

pez, 30 of November of 2011 at 11:45 Posted on Planning 0 29

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. Smiley smile

I've just begun the long search for the perfect wedding venue and wonder if you guys can help! We're having a small wedding with around 30 guests, but still want to venue to look lovely of course. So far everywhere we looked, the venues tend to be suitable for much larger groups, and the smaller places tend to have low ceilings or no outside space at all, both of which can make me feel a bit claustrophobic. Does small have to mean dingy? Smiley sad

We're in Colchester and might have our ceremony at the town hall which is beautiful, so the venue only needs to be suitable for a reception. Somewhere close to Colchester would be lovely. It can't be a religious location because we're having a lesbian wedding.

Can anyone advise please? Thanks very much!

29 replies

Latest activity by jhndavid, 7 of December of 2011 at 04:35
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

what about Milsoms at Dedham just outsdie colchester? beautiful intimate venue!!!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Congrats on your engagement and welcome to hitched. I looked at a few places around Colchester as OH is from there. We too only wanted a small group, but due to issues with MIL, ended up getting married abroad!

There is a restaurnat in Clacton-on-sea that often hold wedding receptions but I cannot recall the name just now. (Will check my book when I get home). Tollbooth or Tollgate is around Cholchester & said they could hold a smaller wedding for us. I never actually got to go there due to the MIL issues though so cannot recall what their min numbers where.

We did see a palce in Suffolk called Woodhall manor. Absolutely gorgeous. Fantastic grounds, a mini-chapel with doves, rooms to stay in. They did have a massive disco type room, which was far too big for what we wanted. For the ceremony though they had a smaller room or the garden to use. It seemed ralaxed, we could hire staff to cook breakfast or have a BBQ/cook breakfast ourselves the next morning.

Will check my lists from last year as there was another in Suffolk we saw too that was lovely. Sorry I cannot be much more help, but I know the difficulties of finding a venue for a smaller amount of people.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooooo The Pier at Harwich!!

we looked here too, turned out VERY expensive!!!

Le talbooth on Dedham is the Milsoms I mentioned in my previous post, i think min numbers were 20 there

Belstead Brook, (the colchester side of ipswich so 15mins away) has smaller rooms for intimate weddings too!!

• P
    Beginner October 2012
    pez ·
    • Hide content

Wow, thank you for all the reponses! I will definitely check out those places and give them a ring.

Has anyone used Clarice House before and can share their experience? It looks lovely but when I searched here it says "This venue is no longer listed with us " which made me worry that maybe they had some negative reviews and so decided to not list here all together...

Woodhall Manor is definitely outside my price range but it's gorgeous. Teal, if you could share your list that will be very helpful, thank you!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

The restaurant at Clacton is Kingscliffe that hold functions. I never got to see it, so appologies if its dreadful.

I've eaten at Francos also in Clacton & the food was fantastic. They can hold private functions, but not sure of min numbers.

Appologies, but cannot find the paperwork with other venue names on, as it was over a year ago & think got shredded!

Best of luck with the search.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Little Hallingbury mill?

We have a wedding booked there next year and it's lovely. http://www.littlehallingburymill.net/resources/_wsb_423x293_mill028.jpg

http://www.littlehallingburymill.net/functions.html

• M
    Beginner April 2012
    Misstd ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at hylands house in chelmsford, it may seem huge on the outside buts lovely inside with cosy rooms with massive ceilings, the dinging room only seats 80 max at a squeeze so 30 will be lovely, it's run by council so doesn't feel business like and small numbers wouldn't bother them, plus you get to use the whole house unlike others, it has lovely outside areas and extensive parking, only downside is you can't stay overninght, I love it so much can't wait!

• W
    Beginner
    Wicket ·
    • Hide content

What about Nayland Golf Club, their function rooms can be of varying sizes. I second Le Talbooth, they've got a marquee there in the summer. There's also a place outside Thorpe-le-Soken that has a marquee that overlooks the surrounding land. I've only been to Clarice House for the spa there so can't comment as a venue. Just thinking of other venues - Layer Marney Towers, Kingsford Park Hotel, or The George on the High Street in Colchester so you only have to walk down the road. I think The Lemontree can be hired out and it has an outside terrace.

HTH

• P
    Beginner October 2012
    pez ·
    • Hide content

Thanks once again, you guys are so helpful. Smiley smile

Teal > not to worry, you've already given some fantastic suggestions.

Le Talbooth looks gorgeous, in fact all of the Milsoms venues seem great, we're going to ring up and tell them what we want and see which of their venues they could suggest as most suitable...

I've looked at Hylands House before and it seemed huge! But perhaps I should give it a chance if they're cosy inside!

Also looking at The Lawn and The Old Rectory at the moment.
    http://www.thelawn.co.uk/weddings_venue_in_essex
    http://www.theoldrectoryweddingvenue.co.uk/

Just want to find out as much as possible before we do actual scouting since we don't have a car at the moment so getting around isn't easy!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

The marquee at Thorpe-le-soken is called Springfield marquee & my SIL go married there 5yrs ago. I forgot all about it, but think its far too big for 30 people. She had maybe 80-100 and there was still room for a massive dance floor. It was very nice though with gorgeous grounds for pics.

For her wedding, she had the hens party at the Geisha hotel. We had dinner there first in their restaurant, which I think they can hire out for weddings. At the time, the food was great. There is a disco/nightclub in the basement, but we couldnt hear this at all whilst in the restaurant.

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content

Stoke by Nayland Golf club is lovely, have been to a few weddings there, but none of them have been 'samey' (obviously cater for individual requirements).

Asked Mr B for his opinion. He suggested the football club (big supporter).

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content

Also, if you're looking for a good restaurant, The Crown in Stoke By Nayland is amazing. The food is unbelievable, and not ridiculously priced. There is an outdoor area too, which I haven't really checked out, but there are lots of places close by with stunning views.

• Sweetpeaposy
    Beginner
    Sweetpeaposy ·
    • Hide content

I got married at Hylands House in July and it is an absolutely stunning venue (I may be slightly biased!). If you have any questions please ask away. The people who work there are truly lovely and we had the most fantastic day.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• D
    Beginner July 2011
    duckandholt ·
    • Hide content

Spains Hall in Finchingfield is really lovely, they can do small weddings too.

• honeybee9
    Beginner May 2012
    honeybee9 ·
    • Hide content

Hello. I'm also in Colchester Smiley smile The town hall is lovely but isn't it quite big???

I'm getting married at East Mersea Hall. I having the ceremony room and pavillion (marquee) but you could have the ceremony room and the terrace (the small marquee attached to the house )for your 30 guests breakfast.

https://www.monbuzz.net/

If you do decide on the town hall it might be an idea to look at somewhere in town. I think the George Hotel have a reception room?? Or that pub at the bottom of north hill (use to be Quiters) they have a reception room(at least they use to) with outside space and its own bar.

• happy_feet
    Beginner
    happy_feet ·
    • Hide content

We got Married in July at The Fennes. It was amazing, we had 65 guests so used the attached Marquee, but you can use the rooms inside the house for smaller weddings. Beatiful grounds and bridal cottage. We also booked 5 months before the wedding and got a really good deal

• P
    Beginner October 2012
    pez ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fellow Colchester girl! Smiley smile We got shown around the town hall a few days ago and some rooms are bigger than others. The Moot Hall is HUUUUGE and definitely not for us, but we quite like the quirkiness of the Council Chamber. The Grand Jury Room is also gorgeous, it's larger than we need but it's the same price and it does give a "walk down the aisle" effect. So it's between one of these two. We might also make a donation to the mayor's charity so that we can use her balcony as well!

We looked in The George but it's a bit too enclosed for me. Haven't asked that pub yet (I think they're called River Lodge or Riverside Lodge) but I'll add it to the ever-lengthening list! Good thing I'm doing the research and the other half is making the calls. Smiley laugh

Marquees aren't really my thing so East Mersea Vineyard isn't for me, but East Mersea Hall and the Fennes are both being added to the list!

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content

I've just had a thought. Have you looked at the Marks Tey hotel? I'm off there tonight for a christmas do. I can report back on what it's like?

• P
    Beginner October 2012
    pez ·
    • Hide content

That would be really really helpful if you could, thanks!

• A
    Beginner March 2012
    amyc1984 ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married at The Fennes in Braintree but my friend got married at the Rose and Crown in Colchester in May and it was lovely - very reasonably priced too! And my sister got married at the Holiday Inn at Eight Ash Green, Colchester in August and again it was a really nice setting and she got it for a great price!

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content

So I had a fab night at the Marks Tey Hotel (I'll leave a link for the website - only really took drunken pictures of friends!) http://www.marksteyhotel.co.uk/the-marks-tey-colchester/the-marks-tey-colchester.html

Food was lovely - I have found at some places when cooking for a christmas party where there are upwards of 100-150 people, the food can suffer. Last night's was delicious!

Bar was a little busy, they only had 2 members of staff on and evryone arrived at the same time so we waited 20 minutes for a drink! But there was a lot of people and after the mad dash for a drink it was fine - prices not too bad (£4.40 for a vodka lime and lemonade - I have seen them cost a lot more in some places!)

The venue itself was lovely. Very grand entrance with lovely staircase that nobody would pose on with me (sigh!), and the function rooms were Art Deco.

My favourite bit? The red carpet up to the entrance!

• L
    Beginner
    Lorz11 ·
    • Hide content

I got married at Prested Hall in Feering, we had an amazing day and the venue is beautiful. Staff were fantastic-can't recommend it enough!!

• P
    Beginner October 2012
    pez ·
    • Hide content

We've made a few phone calls!
    * Milsoms picked up the phone, said something to a colleague and then hung up on us. Couldn't believe it. Then we couldn't get through again, so we sent an email. Received a generic reply with a brouchure...
    * The Lawn was very enthusiastic. The woman we spoke to turned out to be the owner, who was bored to death looking after the phones during a wedding (her son has taken over most of the operations), so she told us all we needed to know and even the history of the place, hahaha. They came across as knowledgeable and helpful.
    * The Old Rectory seems the best price-wise and they also seemed very capable.
    * Fennes can do a very good deal for intimate weddings! Doesn't beat Old Rectory on price, but it looks very attractive. It turns out they have a wedding fair tomorrow, I'm trying to work out if I can make it.
    * East Mersea Hall - a child picked up the phone and timidly asked us to call back later. I guess it must be a family business. Smiley smile Will call again soon.
    Prested Hall will be next. We've decided we prefer exclusive use so most of the hotels are out unfortunately. And during the search we've decided that we don't have to use the Town Hall for the ceremony if we really love the reception venue and they have a license for ceremony too.
    I think we're almost ready to make a short list of which places to visit soon. Almost over the first of many, many hurdles!

We've made a few more phone calls!

* Milsoms picked up the phone, said something to a colleague and then hung up on us. Couldn't believe it. Then we couldn't get through again, so we sent an email. Received a generic reply with a brouchure...

* The Lawn was very enthusiastic. The woman we spoke to turned out to be the owner, who was bored to death looking after the phones during a wedding (her son has taken over most of the operations), so she told us all we needed to know and even the history of the place, hahaha. They came across as knowledgeable and helpful.

* The Old Rectory seems the best price-wise and they also seemed very capable.

* Fennes can do a very good deal for intimate weddings! Doesn't beat Old Rectory on price, but it looks very attractive. They sounded professional. It turns out they have a wedding fair tomorrow, I'm trying to work out if I can make it.

* East Mersea Hall - a child picked up the phone and timidly asked us to call back later. I guess it must be a family business. Smiley smile Will call again soon.

Prested Hall will be next. We've decided we prefer exclusive use so most of the hotels are out unfortunately. And during the search we've decided that we don't have to use the Town Hall for the ceremony if we really love the reception venue and they have a license for ceremony too.

I think we're almost ready to make a short list of which places to visit soon. Almost over the first of many, many hurdles!

• happy_feet
    Beginner
    happy_feet ·
    • Hide content

I must admit I loved the Fennes- biased I know, (Amyc- you will love it). The staff were fantastic- if you book little tip, don't book any extras they offer, you will get sent loads of last minute offers, including the bedrooms!

• A
    Beginner March 2012
    amyc1984 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am biased towards The Fennes as well Clarelou - am so excited now! Bet your wedding in July was fantastic! Our wedding manager phoned today and we booked our planning meeting for January :-)

And yes you do get sent a lot of special offers for things too, and the last minute weddings are great value - fell in love with the place straight away when we were looking at venues, I am really happy that we chose it (it was between them, Prested Hall and Spains Hall) x ?

• J
    jhndavid ·
    • Hide content

The white hart and three revers country club is the really good venue in essex.These are the two venue are familiar to me.Plan your wedding carefully and arrange the wedding arrangements properly. Good Luck!.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics