Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2013

Flowers in September

Banner, 12 of November of 2011 at 23:17 Posted on Planning 0 12

I finally found some flowers that I really liked! I really do not know anything about flowers! I have just found out the flowers that I love are Lily of the Valley. After doing abit of reserach these flowers are expensive and are only in season in May and my wedding is in September. I wanted a bouquet for me and 2 bridesmaids and I need 10 vases filling on tables and I just wanted all Lily of the Valley.

Does anybody know of any other flowers similar to Lily of the Valley that are really simple and elegant that are available all year round or seasonal in September time?

Thanks for your help x

12 replies

Latest activity by Banner, 21 of February of 2012 at 21:41
  • overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Waxflower is a very good alternative as mentioned although it won't have the fabulous perfume that Lily of the Valley has but will be much, much cheaper! Lily of the Valley are unfortunately one of the most expensive flowers to have for a wedding as they do have a short season in this country and a lot of the time, it has to be imported which wacks up the price due to air freight.

Another pretty alternative would be button chrystanthemum - mix white ones with lime green ones for a wonderful fresh modern look. Gypsophila is another pretty flower but some varieties of gyp have an awful smell (a bit like cat piddle) so you have to make sure your florist orders only the best grade of wedding gyp to try and avoid this but even this can sometimes smell if it is used in large quantities.

Another alternative would be artificial lily of the valley - extremely realistic and often used mixed with fresh flowers when prices are sky high. I had artificial lily of the valley in my bouquet with fresh roses when I got married due to the cost. No one was any wiser. This is the artificial lily of the valley in a buttonhole:-

Hope that helps.

• avintagebride
    Beginner March 2012
    avintagebride ·
    • Hide content

Lily of the valley is lovely, but so expensive. I was going to suggest gyp too, util I just sat saw RF's post.

Seriously, it smells like cat pee?! I was thinking of having just gyp for my centrepieces after my palava with the venue florist, but guess not now! ☹️

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Buy a bunch from the florist and pop it in a vase with no other flowers just so you can tell.... the best quality gyp, which is the one with the real fluffy balls on rather than the little specs of white on the end, is the least smelly. If you mix it with other scented flowers, it's not too bad but can whiff a bit on its own.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

If it is the scent you are going for then you could use white freesia which are highly scented and delicate flowers. They look lovely in a bouquet or even as single flowers in individual vases for Centrepieces:

• Recycledbride
    Beginner June 2012
    Recycledbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The artificial Lily of the valley look nice, but the beauty of Lily of the valley is the scent.....may be able to fragrance with scented oils though?

To Vintagebride - have you thought about using Cow Parsley for your centrepieces? Put into google, "Cow Parsley rustic Wedding" and it will take you to a wondeful wedding blog. (no idea why this is now in bold!)

What's more, cow parsley is free!

• avintagebride
    Beginner March 2012
    avintagebride ·
    • Hide content

Oh Jude, I like this a lot!!! I will have to try and find out which flowers grow around here in March. In Teesside it tends to be a bit nippy still in March so not sure if it would be too early.

• avintagebride
    Beginner March 2012
    avintagebride ·
    • Hide content

Doesn't look like I'd have much luck with cow parsely (flowers from April), but I've found this website which tells you about wildflowers by month

http://www.flowers.goodpages.co.uk/index.php?page=march-2

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Banner ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your help. I came across gyp and thought it was beautiful but I am glad you told me about the smell. Also good to know Lily of the Valley flowers have a strong smell, I suffer with headaches and cant have any strong smells around me = No perfume for me Smiley sad So the last thing I want on my wedding day is a headache from my flowers!

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Banner ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Trust me to be getting married In september with only 2 choices of wild flowers!

• M
    mn81441 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

You are right lily of the valley is extremely expensive and not available for September. I am a wedding planner and florist and have had this dilema many times over the years, however for my brides I recommend bouvardia or stephanotis both are very small beautiful flowers. If you'd like any other ideas or help let me know I'm always happy to offer advice. Mandy (My number is ****). Good luck x

• Flawless Weddings
    Flawless Weddings ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Just posted some pics of bouquets with artificial lily of the valley and roses. as rainbow flowers says, you can mix the artificial LOTV with fresh flowers and foliages and no one will know!?

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Banner ·
    • Hide content

I have decided to go with Gypsophila, got an appointment with a florist in 2 weeks for a quote. Thanks for all your help x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics