Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner August 2015

Where to get married abroad?

Hollis2b, 21 of June of 2012 at 16:22 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 14

I am currently in the process of finding a destination to get married abroad. Can anybody recommend somewhere where family came out as well? It is most likely that there will be around 20-25 of us, and therefore a resort etc appropriate to this number of people would be helpful. I have all the brochures etc, but wanted to get a more personalised response from anybody that has been somewhere that they would truly recommend.

Many thanks!!

14 replies

Latest activity by Ampy, 5 of November of 2012 at 09:37
  • Kayels
    Beginner May 2013
    Kayels ·
    • Hide content

Rhodes and Crete are gorgeous islands and have big hotels that are all inclusive which maybe ideal for your guests and are family friendly if you have children going, i have been on holiday to these islands several times with alot of my family and have also loved it! Smiley smile

If you are thinking long haul i can highly recomment Mexico, went on holiday there last year, all the hotels are massive, loads to do, goregous beaches, there were a few weddings i saw while over there which looked totally fantastic! xx xx

• adelly
    Beginner April 2012
    adelly ·
    • Hide content

We got married in Vegas and had 26 friends and family join us. It was the best time of our lives! You didn't mention the ages of your group as of course Vegas might not be ideal if kids are coming. We said no kids at our wedding so for us Vegas was perfect. It has loads to see and do - shows, shopping, day trips to Grand Canyon, helicopter rides, sightseeing. Loads of places to eat and drink and fab pools at the hotels for those that were on a tighter budget and just wanted quiet time during the day. Some of our guests twinned Vegas with a trip to other places like New York. Flights can be expensive but there are flight and hotel options to suit different budgets. I know it's not for everyone but it's another point of view for you ?

Our report -

https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/317539.aspx

• F
    fotogenico ·
    • Hide content

I guess it also depends on where you live; is there any airport nearby with good connections?

I've collected some ideas for wedding destination on my Pinterest board; have a look here: http://pinterest.com/fotogenico/destination-wedding-ideas/

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weilee ·
    • Hide content

It depends what type of wedding you prefer, beach wedding, castle wedding, local traditional wedding or church wedding

• C
    Beginner August 2013
    chelsey-leigh ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in cyprus next august but already sent out our save the dates and we have had a really good response so far - i think if you book and let people know early enough more people will be able to attend Smiley smile x

• B
    Beginner
    breet ·
    • Hide content

I am planning to get married in Australia .and i am ready for this actually i am planned besides the beach.

Howard johnson hotels near wet n wild orlando

• hannahransome
    Beginner June 2012
    hannahransome ·
    • Hide content

Back in June we celebrated our wedding at Pian Di Cascina in a stunning and secluded part of Umbria, Italy. We hired out the whole accomodation for our closest family and friends (30 including bride and groom). We wanted an intimate wedding where we could relax and have fun with our guests and were definitely not disappointed. The location is stunning, the rooms immaculate and the pool has an unbelievable view of the Umbrian hills.

Isabel (English but fluent in italian - owner of the villas) is a fantastic and creative wedding planner - she listens and understands exactly what you want and then makes it even better with her own suggestions and ideas! She has a lot of experience arranging weddings and it definitely shows. No detail is overlooked and she has a reliable list of suppliers including hairdressers, flowers, musicians, photographers and even arranged a fireworks display for us which got all the local farmers talking! Isabel is very familiar with the legal side of arranging Italian weddings and makes the process very easy to understand.

After a lovely ceremony in Gubbio town hall and the most delicious wedding breakfast (our guests could not believe the size of the menu!) we returned to Pian Di Cascina where Isabel and Paul had arranged a dancefloor on the grass area. We danced away to the band into the early hours of the morning to a backdrop of pretty lanterns and fairy lights. When we returned to our room (The Cantina - perfect for couples wanting a romantic escape!) it looked beautiful and was full of romantic surprises (I won't give it away in case you choose to have your wedding here...) It really was a dream wedding.

Paul and Isabel were welcoming and helpful throughout the whole of our week stay, not just for the wedding. On the first evening we chose to celebrate my partner's birthday in the Tavernetta (The villa's own restaurant). Isabel's cooking is absolutely delicious and very authentic. Our guests were particularly taken with the Lasagna course which they say was the best they had ever tasted. Not only were we treated to a full Italian menu but Isabel also made Neil a fruitcake (his favourite!) complete with sparklers. It seems nothing is too much trouble for this lovely couple!

If you are looking for an intimate wedding abroad where you can spend time with your nearest and dearest I honestly can't think of a better place.

These links might help:

http://weddingsinumbria.info/Weddings_umbria.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187906-d1379558-Reviews-Villa_Pian_Di_Cascina-Gubbio_Province_of_Perugia_Umbria.html

http://www.avillainumbria.com/en/

I hope that helps!

• G
    GerryW80 ·
    • Hide content

You could consider having a Caribbean wedding or celebrate it in BahamasSmiley smile

• F
    fodenphotography ·
    • Hide content

I would 'second' the opinion that Greece is a great choice of location for an overseas wedding- stunning locations, very family and child friendly, and overall lovely, warm people.. As a photographer I've seen a lot of Greek weddings blogged that look absolutely stunning photographically... Good luck!

www.fodenphotography.com

• Seaweed
    Beginner July 2012
    Seaweed ·
    • Hide content

We got married in Greece in July and we had 120 guests with us! If you go to Greece/Spain/Italy, then its a maximum 3 and 1/2 hour flight, cheap as well so more people are likely to come if you give them enough notice.

• jadestevenson1982
    Beginner June 2013
    jadestevenson1982 ·
    • Hide content

You should consider Santorini, my best friend got married here www.santorini-weddings.info/images/index/agia-irini/10-st-irene-chapel.jpg ! Isnt this amazing? They had 35 guests! We moved from the ceremony to the reception with a bus, easily and had the greatest time! Her wedding planner was really good, we are actually using here services for our wedding in 2014! 
    We stayed in Kamari, close to the sea, at Aegean Plaza hotel, and my friend booked everything through the wedding planner from Santorini Weddings with excellent rates! Must consider Santorini definitely! ?

• jadestevenson1982
    Beginner June 2013
    jadestevenson1982 ·
    • Hide content

You should consider Santorini, my best friend got married here www.santorini-weddings.info/images/index/agia-irini/10-st-irene-chapel.jpg ! Isnt this amazing? They had 35 guests! We moved from the ceremony to the reception with a bus, easily and had the greatest time! Her wedding planner was really good, we are actually using here services for our wedding in 2014!
    We stayed in Kamari, close to the sea, at Aegean Plaza hotel, and my friend booked everything through the wedding planner from Santorini Weddings with excellent rates! Must consider Santorini definitely! ?

• Ampy
    Beginner October 2013
    Ampy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi hannahransome

Your wedding sounds absolutely dreamy;; would you mind if I asked you how much everything worked out at? And also the number of people you had?

Feel free to pm me or tell me to bugger off ;-)

xx

• J
    Beginner September 2014
    Josssh ·
    • Hide content

I’m going to get married in the Italian Riviera!
    We’ve just come back from an inspection visit in Italy and we had a wonderful time! It was summer, so warm and sunny!
    It was also a productive trip.
    We met an Italian wedding planner: Danila from DAMA Wedding.
    A friend of mine recommended her, she got married last year and was thrilled with the dama wedding team. She told me how helpful, careful and professional Danila was and that she would have never been able to plan a such memorable day without her.
    At first I was pretty sure I could plan the wedding by myself. But after meeting her I completely changed my mind.
    Danila spent two full days with us, she showed us stunning venues and gave great advice about how to start organizing our wedding.
    As a non Italian who knows nothing about the language, the country and suppliers, organizing a wedding in Italy is a daunting task.... But Danila has incredible knowledge about everything, and I think this way I'll actually enjoy the planning - it will be stress-free!!!
    Moreover she's a reliable professional, she showed venues and hotels and discussed vendors, so that only after everything was clear we signed the contract. No surprises!
    Also compared to other planners, DAMA wedding's prices are absolutely reasonable.
    I suggest that you contact damawedding.it, I’m sure they can recommend a wide choice of venues, suppliers and provide helpful advice. I know they are based also in Lake Como, Tuscany, Venice and Amalfi Coast
    I'm so excited! Really looking forward to planning my special day...
    Chat soon,
  • Ampy
    Beginner October 2013
    Ampy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The British consulate have advised me that the law on weddings in Italy are changing and that you will only be able to book things a maximum of six months before!

Has anyone else heard that?

I have asked them if we rush and book now that we will be ok as effectively we would be booking before the law changes but we haven't heard back from them.

It has made me realise that Italy is at the top of my list for a destination!

Thanks for her contact details _ I am going to get in touch with her.

Good luck with your planning xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics