Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner August 2013

What are you doing for wedding favours?

NatGlenn89, 13 of January of 2013 at 20:42 Posted on Planning 1 48

I would like to do something a little more original than sugared almonds in organza bags but what??

What is everyone else doing for thiers?

48 replies

Latest activity by Sara.Head, 17 of January of 2013 at 13:26
  • Katherine Courtney Weddings
    Katherine Courtney Weddings ·
    • Hide content

Hi! Favors are a great way to treat your guests and thank them for sharing your special day. Sky is the limit for favors, all depends on budget etc. Check out our Favor page on Pinterest for a few ideas. Good luck! http://pinterest.com/kathcourt/wedding-favors/

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

I've got loads of ideas and will tailor them to each person. Sachets of wild flower/herb seeds, seed cakes to hang out for the birds, fridge magnets, tulip/hyacinth bulbs, mini heart shaped chocolate brownies/sweets, little with a lavender/other plant..... I'm sure there's more ?

Thrying to think of things that are useful and won't cost the earth to make

• S
    Beginner August 2013
    sarah321 ·
    • Hide content

I am having afternoon tea so in keeping with the theme having cupcake shape boxes with something inside yet to be decided but maybe forrero roche

• Jen_P
    Dedicated August 2013
    Jen_P ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

These are mine Smiley smile We are having a bit of a vintage Alice in Wonderland 'theme'.

Jam Tart in a little box or bag

Wine glass charms

Something a little bit boozey Smiley smile

• TamarValleyGirl
    Beginner May 2013
    TamarValleyGirl ·
    • Hide content

We're not doing them. I think they're completely unneccessary. The only favour I can remember from a friend's wedding was an organza bag with chocolates in it - we ate the chocolates after dinner and left the bag on the table.

Guests don't need sweets or miniature bottles of booze to take home - they'll have plenty to eat and drink at the wedding. They don't need a keepsake with 'C&M's wedding' on it - what do you do with it when you get home?

Or maybe I'm just an un-sentimental old grump who already has more than enough clutter in her house ?

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content

I do identify with the post above but we're having fudge fancies as they're delicious and only £1 each. We couldn't afford anything great to keep so this is the solution for us. If anyone is interested in fudge fancies just google it.

• mandunc14
    Beginner July 2014
    mandunc14 ·
    • Hide content

I agree that some favors are pointless (IMO). Like if you get something that would normally be a part of a set or that would look out of place at your home. I think a cute ornament could work or another cute idea I saw was using the paper holders for cd's (so it has the plastic window). Putting a cookie in it and a sticker with your name or even just regular love themed stickers.

If all goes how we want it, we are doing candles that are unique to where I am from. I brought on over for my fiances friend and everyone fell in love with it so I think it will be a good choice. We will dress it up with ribbons of our color or something similar. My only question is do I do one per couple or one per person

• LotBot
    Beginner March 2015
    LotBot ·
    • Hide content

I am going to buy champagne flutes - in bulk I think they're 50p each. I'm going to decorate them with our names and wedding date. They can be used for the toasts and then the guests can decide to take them home or not Smiley smile

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

I wanted something different & in with my theme & went for jam for the ladies & chutney for the men. They'll look v similar to this...

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I may make fudge but I may not do them at all.

• J
    Beginner April 2014
    Jader123 ·
    • Hide content

I am not spending loads on favours mainly for the reasons others have stated about having enough to eat n drink etc but do like idea of having small favour so we are ordering in bulk, mini love heart packets that have our names and wedding date on...everyone loves a bit of love hearts yummmy Smiley smile nothing too big and fancy but nice, cute wedding favour I think x

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

We're having rock sweets:

Pirate kits!:

Temporary tattoos:

and knot tying kits:

in these bags:

Sealed with these stickers (different colours / names, obviously!!):

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content

I am doing what the lady ^^ up there said - Mini rolls of love hearts with our names on the labels.

Twenty quid for seventy five rolls, bargain.

And I am quite known for my "Crap Jokes" so I will be putting a Crap Joke in every favour bag as well, just like a christmas cracker

Jan's Jokes #1

Tried some Rocket Salad for my lunch yesterday, but it went off before I could open the bag.....

that kind of thing.

(I got 100 of those little beauties - groan!)

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

We are havin minature personalised alcohol bottles- whisky for the men and some sort of cocktail or spirit for the women. We are also making wine charms. Each to their own, but I disagree about them being a waste of time. I've always kept (or consumed!) all the favours I have been given, and for me, it's the little touches that make a difference. I went to a wedding in the summer, and can't really remember what the flowers looked like, but I remember the favour we were given, as it was something unique and personal to them. So for me, I want to have something as an extra touch, and they are very cheap to make ourselves.

I agree that some types of favours may be less useful than others. One of the reasons we decided on an alcohol minature, was that we are not able to provide any free drinks for the evening reception (I know it's not expected, but it's something we would have liked to have done), and so it's a way of giving everyone an extra drink!

• B
    Beginner October 2013
    bristol1984 ·
    • Hide content

We are also doing this Smiley smile

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Lovely idea but I don't like this bit. I choose who I give charity money to! If YOU want to donate money, fab.

OP: I made bag charms for the girls and guitar pick keyrings for the boys.

• *2014bride*
    Beginner August 2014
    *2014bride* ·
    • Hide content

I am thinking of doing a lucky dip for every guest on the national lottery as we are getting married on a Saturday and then the envelope/card will double up as a place setting.

For the children I am going to make up a box with something along the lines of colouring book, pens, puzzles, relevant to the child and their age.

• BrownEyedGal
    Beginner May 2014
    BrownEyedGal ·
    • Hide content

I think we're going to have heart shaped welsh cakes, which my brother I going to make, in a box. Shouldn't cost too much and will prob put a little message in such as 'welsh cakes like Grandma used to make' or something like that.

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

I don't really see favours as necessary but have decided to have one white and one black Lindor chocolate at each place setting as we have a black and white theme and we both love Lindor.

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

My daughter had the little gold Lindt rabbits in favour boxes. My other daughter had vintage tea cups and saucers which guests could keep.

Lynne

• N
    Beginner August 2013
    NatGlenn89 ·
    • Hide content

There's some really nice ideas here...

I thought about doing lottery tickets/ scratch cards, home-made wine glass charms, home made fudge/ biscuits, little pouches with seeds mixed in with rose petals and lavender to scatter in the garden, sweet bags with the centrepiece to be jars of sweets in our colour...

I don't think favours are entirely neccessary but I do think it's nice to have a little point of interest/ conversation especially if you are mixing up friends and family who don't necessarily know each other (as we are), and if you put some thought into it, you can give things that people will really appreciate or cherish as a reminder of your day.

• Sparkly Momma
    Beginner November 2013
    Sparkly Momma ·
    • Hide content

I got loads of small white hearts in the dotcomgiftshop sale. I intend to get some ribbon personalised with R & K 17/11/13 or similar to thread through the hanging hole. This will be for the ladies, men I'm not so sure on just yet.

• C
    Beginner January 2011
    Carlyr7 ·
    • Hide content

We are having different glasses (champagne flutes for women etc) and they are being decorated with our colour and having people's names on so that way they double up as a place setting too!! Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    Hayse-08/10/11 ·
    • Hide content

We didn't give favours (except to the three children that attended- two pageboys and flowergirl). We had a free bar for the whole day and night and thought that was enough.

Generally I'm not a fan of favours and always forget to take mine home when at weddings. However, we went to a wedding recently and they did homemade jam made by the brides grandma and it is the first favour I received that made it home and was used.

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    jeenj81 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are making a donation to charity in memory of my Dad, but i have been thinking about doing something else as well - love this idea of the champagne flutes - how are you putting the names on them or can you order them with the names on them?

• L
    Beginner July 2013
    leeds lass ·
    • Hide content

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

To clarify, I completely understand the reasons behind charity donations. I just don't really like the idea of being told that money has been donated on my behalf. What if it's a charity whose aims I disagree with? Or how they spend their money? And so on.

The standard reply here is usually: how can you disagree with where the bride and groom donate? Well, I can't. But just tell me YOU'VE made a donation. Receiving a pin/charity favour and a note to say that the bride and groom have donated to X charity in memory of Y, I have zero problems with. Even better, don't take the pins off the charity in the first place, as they cost them money.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't get this bit. If I tell you now that I've just donated £5 to a charity that supports (whatever) and I did so on your behalf, do YOU feel like you've made a difference?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Given your rundown of the stats, it should be obvious that it is very likely that I or my family has been affected by cancer. So perhaps a little temperance is appropriate?

Did you read any of my post? Where did I suggest that 'guests would be offended that (you) have donated to charity'?

I'm not going to discuss my ambivalence to Cancer Research UK, suffice to say that they wouldn't be what I consider the appropriate cancer charity to give money to in many situations. If I was thinking of donating for breast cancer, fabulous. If I was thinking of donating for lung cancer, or pancreatic cancer, or brain cancer (three that I can assure you are extremely close to my heart), I'd look elsewhere. Sometimes, fabulous marketing campaigns do not translate into solutions for desperate life situations.

I'll stop. I should know by now that people who wish to misunderstand the point I've made will continue to do so.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Point taken that opinions weren't canvassed. Apologies.

• LotBot
    Beginner March 2015
    LotBot ·
    • Hide content

I would be happy for a couple to donate to a charity on my behalf, especially if that charity is important to them. We will be doing a bit of fundraising at our wedding as well for a charity that pretty much saved my OH's life which is Wales Air Ambulance. I know for sure if I were to donate money to them on my guest's behalf (which am now considering) they would be delighted because they all know how important it is to the both of us. I don't think the wording matters at all, it will still give a warm fuzzy feeling.

Our fundraising (idea from Pinterest) is to have two jars, one with bride, one with groom, and people put money into the jar of which person they want to see 'wear the cake'. Just a bit of fun really and hopefully it is OH that gets it - I may even put money in his myself just to avoid it being me! :p

At the end of the day, if the guests know it is a charity close to your heart, it doesn't matter how it's worded, I'm sure they will be thrilled.

X

• Kylie541
    Beginner February 2013
    Kylie541 ·
    • Hide content

We donated a sum of money to Dogs for the Disabled and made a slip to go in the boxes with 2 chocolate lucky sixpence. My dad has lung disease, my mum is deaf, I suffered a stroke, oh uncle has downs and his little cousin is wheelchair so I think our guests will understand our decision.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics