Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

geekypants
Beginner August 2008

Wedding report! (Very loooooooong!)

geekypants, 9 of September of 2008 at 22:20 Posted on Planning 0 25

Sorry this is so long, but it was a topnotch day and I want to remember everything!

<!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

The day before

I got up pretty early with my Mum and sister, and my sister offered to re-do the table plan (people had dropped out, but we managed to fill the spaces!), which we wrote onto a vintage mirror using a CD pen. It took ages, but looked fab, and everybody commented, so was well worth it.

I dropped them off to get their nails done, and did a quick dash for some gift wrap for our thank you presents. I spent some time in Starbucks writing our thank yous and reflecting on what was to come. I think I'll remember that forever.

Then it was time to leave everything off at the venue. Running through it all with the coordinator reassured me that these guys knew what they were doing and everything would be OK. My Australian relatives had come over and I ran into my Dad and them while at the venue. After that it was back into town to get my own nails done. My Mum had lent my Aunt the garter I was to be wearing and no one knew where it was, so I got my toes done a funky blue to be my 'something blue'. It was lovely just sitting there, chatting to the staff about all things wedding, and afterwards the three of us went for a very boozy lunch in our family's long-running favourite restaurant.

My poor sister was on driving duty, and I met H2B near his work because we hadn't actually seen each other for a few days! He picked up some bits for HM, and randomly decided to get some lovely new aftershave. It was a very bizarre meeting, but nice to just spend some time together.

Then it was back home, where we went a got some Chinese, and caught up on all things Aussie. I was sleeping in my sister's room, and we half watched 27 dresses before finally going to sleep.

The day itself!

I was up super duper early, and found my family had decorated the whole house in balloons and sparkles, and stuff. It made me a bit emotional, but soon the champers was going (at 7am!).

My brother, sister, Mum and I went to the hairdressers (my brother had got his straggly long mosher hair cut just for the day, and was worried he wouldn't look smart enough if he did it himself, bless him!). They too had even more champagne and some very thoughtfully provided scones. We had all managed to forget to eat breakfast so that was a really nice touch. I've been going to that hairdresser for years, so it really was like involving another friend.

We then picked up some catering for the hoards at the house and went home to find the make-up lady set up and ready to go. Again, it was a friend who does Virgin Vie, so she joined in the excitement, and the fizz, too.

As my make-up was being finished, the flower girls arrived with balloons and more fizz and looking really cute. They started to get ready and then the car arrived. The room I was supposed to be getting ready in had kind of been swamped, and nobody really seemed interested in helping me. Thus my only bridezilla-ish moment happened and I started to cry. Thankfully everyone was lovely and it was all fine and before I knew it I was in my dress, the flowers had arrived and my sister and Mum had left. Dad and I had a wait by ourselves and he gave me a good talking to about the meaning of life after yet more champagne.

At the top of the aisle I could really feel the presence of God. I knew that this was my moment, this was our moment, and that the clay of our futures was getting ready to be molded into shape. The service was perfect, a real celebration of love. I sung until my heart was bursting, friends of ours prayed prayers for the big and the little things, the minister from Mr P's church gave a really funny, yet touching talk, and we were pronounced husband and wife. I actually punched the air when the minister announced it! After we signed the registrar, our organist friend played the A-team for us to walk down the aisle to. We hadn't told a soul, and the look on people's faces when they realised what it was was priceless!

It was absolutely chucking it down, so after saying our hellos to people on the way out of the church, we had some bridal party pics. It was then off to the venue for Pimms and a wee chat before dinner. The coordinator at the venue got us a drink while everyone was being seated, and it was lovely just soaking it all in. The speeches were lovely. My Dad is a journalist, and pretty used to after-dinner speaking, but he just seemed to choke up, which made me cry too. I gave a wee speech to thank all the people who had helped so much, and it seemed to go down surprisingly well! The minister then gave thanks and we ad some yummy food, wine and conversation. We circulated round the tables between courses to make sure we had spoken to everyone!

Mr P and I then ran away for a wee walk together, before our first dance. Loads of people had turned up for the evening do! We had wanted something to make everyone giggle, and had randomly chose 'All I want for Christmas' by Mariah Carey. The DJ had brought Santa hats too, which added a certain something! Everybody was clapping and cheering and laughing along. It was ace!

After a bit of a DJ set the band dressed up in blues brothers gear and we accompanied them into the room with blow up saxophones and sunglasses on. It was sooooooooo much fun and they kept everyone dancing. By special request, we had a bit of a cheesy rave thing, and I was bouncing along to QFX Freeeeedoooooom!

After a looooooong day, Mr P and I went up to our room to find complimentary champagne (Mr P had ordered some too so we had doublefuntimes!). We had some food and opened all the cards and presents. It was awesome.

Sooooooooo many of our friends hooked up it was unbelievable so I was up dead early the next morning, dying to find out the gossip!

I was never really a superbride, but I can without a doubt say that it was the best day of my life. The rain didn't matter a drop. We had sooooo much fun, ad the effort I had put into the small things really did pay off. It was the perfect start to our lives together.

Our month long honeymoon in Thailand and Laos was super special too. I've been freezing all day since coming home!

25 replies

Latest activity by MrsKitty, 12 of September of 2008 at 10:02
  • D
    Super November 2008
    donnaj36 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations!! fab report-sounds like you both had the time of your lives

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Congrats! Glad you have a lovely day and that the rain didn't affect things.

• Duck no more
    Beginner
    Duck no more ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations.

• K
    Beginner
    kentishbride ·
    • Hide content

What a fab report - congratualtions x

• ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations.

Your mirror was a great idea!!

Glad everyone had a good time - including all your friends!! ?

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations x

• R
    Beginner August 2009
    Royalty ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations, sounds like you had a fantastic day

xx

• Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations on a wonderful wedding report (still blubbing at my desk [:'(] )

- glad you had a fab day x x x x x x

• hely08
    Beginner September 2009
    hely08 ·
    • Hide content

Wow sounds like a fab day !! congratulations !! xxxx

• jaz
    Beginner
    jaz ·
    • Hide content

Congrats gp!!!

I can't remember, have we seen photos yet?

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Photos! photos! photos! photos!

congrats hon.... sounds perfect xx

• Spamboule
    Beginner October 2008
    Spamboule ·
    • Hide content

Great report ? Congratulations on your special day!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations, sounds like you had a fab day x

• Mazzy-moo
    Beginner September 2008
    Mazzy-moo ·
    • Hide content

Congrats to you both!

Sounds like you had a fantastic day! Can't wait to see pics of it all!

x

• geekypants
    Beginner August 2008
    geekypants ·
    • Hide content

Photos on bigglasseye.co.uk. We are keith and Sarah, surname Patterson!

Thanks all!

• willownat1
    Beginner September 2008
    willownat1 ·
    • Hide content

A huge congrats to you and Mr Geeky.

Fab report sounds like you both had a brilliant day

• F
    Beginner October 2008
    freckleface30 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations hon , sounds like you had a fantastic day x

• geekypants
    Beginner August 2008
    geekypants ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your good wishes folks!

And don't sweat the smal stuff and just enjoy your wedding days: its awesome!

• Debi*M
    Beginner July 2009
    Debi*M ·
    • Hide content

Congratualtions to you ? xxxx

• ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content

Great photos GP you look gorgeous!!

Love the piggyback ones!! ?

• S
    Beginner October 2008
    Sands ·
    • Hide content

Congrats to both you and your hubby, glad you had a truly fab day too!!!!!

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

Huh!

Where's the photo links??

Or am i being ficky

• bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Looks and sounds like you had a really magical day. x

• geekypants
    Beginner August 2008
    geekypants ·
    • Hide content

Tahdah, the pictures are on bigglasseye.co.uk. The password and stuff are up the page here!

Thanks again everyone...

• M
    Beginner September 2007
    MrsKitty ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations, sounds like you had a great day. Your little flower girls look so sweet!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics