Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E

Wedding in France

ExpensiveYellowBridesmaid982, 7 of November of 2017 at 13:13 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 10

Hello everyone,

I am new and this is my first post on Hitched ! ?

My fiancé and I would like to have a destination wedding and we've been dreaming of France. We did not pick a date yet but we've been thinking maybe in about 2 years time... (we're not in a hurry ?)

Do you know anyone who got married in France and if so, do you know if they would recommend it?

I am already looking for info, advice and of course, a wedding planner. Had a consultation with a couple of them, but for the moment I would go with Arbre & RIVIÈRE (French wedding planner in London) as I love their concept. Also, if you know someone who already worked with them, any suggestions would be much appreciated ?

10 replies

Latest activity by Rolandjen, 2 of June of 2023 at 15:38
  • H
    HappyPinkBridesmaid12457 ·
    • Hide content

Hi ExpensiveYellowBridesmaid982

Did you find any info about getting married in France? A friend of mine got married in the South of France and it was really beautiful and well organised. She definitely recommends it and I'm thinking about getting married there too so maybe we can share some advice.

I went to check Arbre & RIVIÈRE 's website and they seem interesting. I got a consultation with another wedding planner but they are more expensive. I think I will get in touch with them for a consultation. I'm not sure as natural weddings wasn't my interests initially but I'll give a go and I'll let you know how it goes.

• B
    Brian-Mcculloch-Glasgow ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine got married in France a year or two back and I heard from them that it was the best day of their life. They too hired a french wedding planner in London and everything was great.

• E
    Beginner September 2018
    ExpensiveGoldBridesmaid56619 ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in France in the Dordogne next September.

Although, we will be going to the registry office in London about a month before hand. It's quite complicated to get legally married in France as a non resident (I think if you have family who have property the mayor has discretion to marry you). And even if you do manage you'd have to get the certificate translated here and some such which will start to rack up costs.

Planning so far has been pretty straightforward, most of the contractors we are using are local, a couple of them are ex pats so that's been helpful, in terms of language! We're bringing a photographer over from the UK - which has proved to be quite expensive.

We have a wedding planner who came with the venue, to be honest she's pretty laid back about stuff, which isn't necessarily how I would like her to approach things. But then she is invaluable as she has a lot of contacts in the area and speaks fluent English which is a super helpful.

A good wedding planner familiar with the area you want to get married in is a must I think.

• E
    ExpensiveYellowBridesmaid982 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice!

We will be legally married in the UK then have our wedding ceremony & reception in France. It's much easier!

I also think that a wedding planner familiar with the area is a must when planning a destination wedding. We are opting for an independent wedding planner as some venues come with wedding coordinators who do not deal with all the planning process before the big day.

• H
    Beginner
    HappyOrangeCars4208 ·
    • Hide content

We loved our wedding in France - highly recommend! The Dordogne was beautiful and our guests had an amazing time and made a vacation of it. I would be very careful with choosing your planner, though - we had a terrible experience with ours, Marry Me In France - they were absent, unprofessional, and refused to take responsibility or even so much as apologize for the numerous preventable things that went wrong due to their lax work ethic and lack of attention to detail.

• L
    Beginner July 2025
    Luxuriousredhair70186 ·
    • Hide content

I too am thinking of getting married in France and so any useful tips would be greatly appreciated.

I was originally looking at Italy but my aunt owns a house in France and she has convinced me to do it over there as they have beautiful chateaus and venues.

Will the process be easier for me as I have family that own a property in France?

• W
    Wildcoastflowers ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I got married in the French Alps five years ago and have been planning weddings ever since.

I found the process at times hard work, from the French pace of replying (or not replying) to simple emails, to having to get my decorations from one country to another not to mention sourcing vendors and such. Still, I learned a lot and I wouldn't have changed our day. It was perfect.

You have so much choice in France from quaint medieval villages ski resorts and lake sides to grand hotels, castles and beaches. Have you zoned in on a particular area?

I am happy to help offer advice anyway.

• E
    Beginner August 2021
    ExpensivePurpleCakes58521 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I am looking to get married abroad in 2021 and would love to get married in the French Alps during summer. Do you have any recommendations or advice?

Thank-you

Lauren

• U
    Beginner July 2024 Washington
    Usmanjamilu ·
    • Hide content

My fiancee is French, and we are planning a wedding there. It would be interesting to find out more about wedding traditions there, and maybe some good places.

• R
    Beginner July 2024 Washington
    Rolandjen ·
    • Hide content
    France sounds like a dreamy destination for a wedding. I haven't personally attended a wedding there, but I've heard amazing things about weddings in France.
    By the way, speaking of France, I recently took a trip there, and it was absolutely magical! Europe is such a great place to explore, especially in June. Oh, and I'm also planning a trip to Germany this year. Can't wait to experience the vibrant cities and stunning landscapes.
    By the way, have you checked out DB Fahrplan ( https://www.dbfahrplan.com/de/ )? It's a handy website for booking train tickets in Germany. Makes traveling around so much easier.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics