Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2021

Wedding entertainment - different and unusual ideas. Help!

SunnyBlueDiamonds92134, 12 of January of 2020 at 18:21 Posted on Planning 0 3

So I had an idea for my wedding reception but now I’m starting to think that it’s silly and/or pretentious and I could do with some advice.

My theme is ‘Enchanted Woodland’ and I know a company that do Shakespeare plays and workshops for children. To keep everyone busy during photo time, I thought it would be a great idea to have them do a short ‘A Midsummer Nights Dream’. My favourite Shakespeare play, in keeping with the theme but fun as well as it’s a comedy. Afterwards they would do a workshop with the children whilst the adults could eat, drink and get bored by speeches!

I mentioned this to someone and it was not received well. So now I’m thinking of alternatives but second guessing myself over everything,

What entertainment did you have?

TIA

3 replies

Latest activity by YourWeddingFilmed, 31 of January of 2020 at 14:53
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

The problem with having a play doing photo time is that presumably, people would miss bits of it as they were called away for photos, so I can see why that wouldn't work. But a workshop for the kids during the speeches sounds like a great idea.

Unless you are having billions of photos, I don't think you really need entertainment during that. Most weddings I've been to, people just mill around having a drink and chatting. Some weddings I've been to have a 'fun fact' or 'photoboard' display about the bride & groom, so you can find out a bit more about them & see pictures of them when they were younger, which is a nice idea if you don't know one half of the couple very well and gives you something to look at and talk to other people about. But generally, I wouldn't worry about having entertainment during photos.

Tbh, I think entertainment is pretty overrated at weddings. I've only been to a few that had anything (magician, cartoonist etc) but I don't think anyone would have noticed if it hadn't been there.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

As a wedding photographer my experience is that any entertainment during the photos only serves to make the photos take longer than they should.

The section between the ceremony and meal is usually 1.5 hours and people will be mingling chatting drinking during the photos which should not take very long out of that time. Also think about where the main photos will be taken which could be in a different spot to where the entertainment might need to be due to needing shade or power etc and then you get problems where either you have to go and get people (that were told you need them in the first place ) or the entertainment is happily entertaining no-one because the photos are being done around the corner.

Bouncy castles for the kids- I always advise the bride and groom not to inflate it until you have finished the photos with the kids because you have problems getting them off and then when you do the parent spends 5 mins cooling down the red faces and tucking the clothes back in. Its a good bargaining chip to use - promising to inflate it when they have been good for the photos. ? works much better than the promise of sweeties.

So speak to your photographer and ask where they would usually do the main photos at that venue.

• rosealvina
    rosealvina ·
    • Hide content

As we all know that, weddings are exceptional and full of entertainment event in everyone's life. It should be full of happiness and entertainment event. Here are few ideas from Miami wedding planners:

1. Wedding games. Wedding games can entertain non-dancing guests throughout the evening.

2. Hire audience entertainers. Magicians are always a solid hit.

3. Table games and props.

4. Photo booths and photo walls.

5. DIY food.

Hope you will organize event of your life in best possible way.

• Y
    YourWeddingFilmed ·
    • Hide content

Entertainment is not usually needed during this time apart from drinks and bites. As mentioned otherwise you risk overrunning with photographs and delaying the wedding breakfast.

Guests also often like a chat and a catch up and a wander around, a singer or a magician is often a great idea though as they add to this section of the day.

Good luck with your wedding planning, an enchanted woodland theme sounds great.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics