Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner August 2015

Wedding bus for guests

Purplecake, 21 of August of 2014 at 14:40 Posted on Planning 0 11

For anyone that's having a reception in a different venue to the ceremony; are you leaving your guests to make their own way there or hiring some form of transport?

I'm of the mind to leave them to it - it's a wedding, every one has enough time to factor in travel. But OHs family are travelling from max 2 hours away for the ceremony, and then there's a 40 min drive to the reception, and no one would've checked into a hotel until it finishes that evening around midnight. Is that normal or unreasonable?

I imagine their cars would then be left at the reception venue to collect the next day.

The alternative is to hire a wedding bus or coach to take from the church to reception, but then everyones cars would be left at the church which leaves them with a bigger taxi fare to get back the next day. And i have no idea how much a coach would cost. Not providing transport is easiest, but i don't know how acceptable that is!

11 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousPinkBridesmaid76267, 12 of September of 2019 at 06:44
  • E
    Beginner September 2015
    EssexBride89 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at a church with our reception venue being a 20 minute drive away. We are planning to either get a couple of vintage buses or a routemaster to transport guests in between. We are planning to include a line in the invitation to say that transport between the venues will be provided. That way I assume people are more likely to take a cab to the church and then our transport in between and a cab home/to their accomodation. I don't want to hire a bus for it not to be used!

• lolapickle
    Beginner March 2015
    lolapickle ·
    • Hide content

Same here Essex bride! Our reception is about 15-20 mins away from the ceremony but we're having drinks there first so we've hired a bus & put on the invites that transport will be provided.

How far is the hotel from the reception venue?

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

Our ceremony venue is about a 45 min drive from our home town and then the reception venue is about 15 mins from there, in the direction of home. I have family coming from Scotland (to Kent) who will be staying in a hotel near the reception venue. I'm planning on a regular coach and a small coach from home town to ferry guests to the ceremony and a small coach to ferry family from the hotel to the ceremony. These coaches will then take everyone to the reception. Two coaches will come in the evening to take everyone back to our home town, via the hotel. The logistics are a nightmare but it's the easiest way and no one has to worry about picking up cars the next day.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

We are arranging transport for the guests as majority of guests are travelling for the wedding (including us) We are arranging a bus from Cambridge to the church (about 20 mins), then from the church to the reception and picking up again at the end of the night.

So far I have found it's not too bad - about £360 for 40 seater coach, we also have camping on site of our reception venue but parking is really limited at the church so we prefer people car share/get the bus.

Our plan was to send wedding invites out about 3-4 months in advance asking who wanted camping (as we have to confirm numbers too) and who would want the bus - then we can book it in advance.

Plus our wedding is free alcohol and in the middle of the countryside!

• C
    Beginner
    cw2b ·
    • Hide content

We aren't providing transport much to the annoyance of OH family! I think if you have the money and if a lot of guests are traveling to the wedding it's a nice touch but I certainly wouldn't expect it

• K
    Beginner October 2014
    katie80uk ·
    • Hide content

We have organised a bus to take people to our daytime venue, sorted out a pickup point for the bus. Then our reception is somewhere else so the bus is picking them back up to take them to reception. Its only for about 35 people so didn't cost a lot.

• Sarah Ellen Bailey
    Sarah Ellen Bailey ·
    • Hide content

Not sure how practical this might be for you, but I've worked at a wedding where people have got the guests to park and meet at the reception venue, get a bus to the church and get back on the bus to the reception venue. It worked really well, was a bit of a talking point.

• RogueSnowflake
    Beginner July 2015
    RogueSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it is expected, there are always people who will have come from further away. We have decided to hire a bus because the church is my local village church and the parking is just non-existent.The reception hotel is a short drive away, and I'm hoping most people will be staying there.

A lot of our guests will be coming from Scotland (wedding is midlands) so I am expecting some of them will fly down and won't have cars.

However, does anyone know how much on average bus hire costs? I made an enquiry that cameback at £619! for one bus!? My reception venue is only 15 mins drive from the church!

• K
    Beginner October 2014
    katie80uk ·
    • Hide content

Bloody hell how big is the bus lol

I've got a 40 seated bus to take guests about 30 mins drive away to daytime and the come back at 6pm to take guests back to reception and its cost me £130

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Purplecake ·
    • Hide content

It's the logistics i think will be the downfall. A meet up point would be good then if they want to go in provided transport, they can. But i wouldn't like to pay more than a couple of hundred. It's a confusing one

• RogueSnowflake
    Beginner July 2015
    RogueSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

Haha, thanks Katie, I'm so relieved as £130 is much more what I was thinking!

• L
    LuxuriousPinkBridesmaid76267 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know exactly what you are planning what has a party bus will definitely satisfy your guest checklist. So, hiring the same will be beneficial...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics