Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2011

The Old Rectory, Essex

sophieb86, 31 of January of 2010 at 15:01 Posted on Planning 0 20

Hi

Has anyone used the Old Rectory nr Dunton in Essex ? we are thinking about booking it for our wedding in 2011 and are finding it hard to find revirews.

any help would be great.

Thanks

20 replies

Latest activity by Aykay, 12 of July of 2015 at 19:08
  • Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

I've been to 3 weddings at the OR, two just in the evening and one for the whole day. I can recommend it, a very seamless day (i.e. didn't notice them moving seats around), it's a lovely size and shape, not so big that it feels empty but can still hold a lot of people. The food was good too, and the rooms are lovely.

We certainly would have considered it if we hadn't been to so many weddings there already!

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    chocolatepickle ·
    • Hide content

We've booked there for our wedding in july 2011 and i was the same before i booked! I found a long thread about it on another site, i'll see if i can find a link xx

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    chocolatepickle ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, just realised im not allowed to post links on the forum so i'll pm you it when i can find it xx

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    sophieb86 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much ladies, any help is much appreciated at the moment, as you all remember i should think!!

Going to go for another visit with a fresh set of eyes with us so fingers crossed!

Thanks again, Sophie

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    chocolatepickle ·
    • Hide content

Please let us know what you think, take a camera too for some pics! I went there last weekend to pay my deposit and they were doing a bit of a refurb so it was a bit of a mess and hard to picture it so im keen to know if thats done so i can go back for a look again! x

• Kim31
    Kim31 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sophie,

It's lovely there and the staff are great. You can get some great shots in the grounds... very beautiful all year round.

HTH

Kim x

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    sophieb86 ·
    • Hide content

A bit delayed...but a quick update...all booked for 2011! it so nice to have a date to work towards! x

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    chocolatepickle ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh whats your date!? I'm 8th July 2011 xx

• artisanwedding.co.uk
    artisanwedding.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sophie,

It's a pretty nice venue actually. I can't really think of anything bad to say about it...

The food is good, the location is nice, the grounds are lovely, the staff are all very pleasant!

All good!

Pete x

Beginner August 2015
    3lliot7 ·
    • Hide content

Hi im hoping to book my wedding at The Old Rectory next week was just wondering if the deposit was high & how paying works so I have a rough idea x

Thanks

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married there in 9 weeks!!!! Eeeeeek!! Paid 500 deposit when we booked and we havent paid anything else yet. Need to confirm numbers 4 weeks before the wedding. Ours is midweek so I dpnt k ow if weekend deposit is higher. T hey are very quick at replying to emails and very accommodating with wanting wanting to visit again to check layout etc.

Beginner August 2015
    3lliot7 ·
    • Hide content

1st off Congratulations.

Thank you so much for the reply that was my main concern now I can hopefully book it this week coming.

Ive heard so many great things about it, its perfect for what im looking for.

Thanks again

Beginner August 2015
    3lliot7 ·
    • Hide content

Hi me again was just wondering the cost per head is now £36.50 but what about children as I have over 20 for the sit down & they wont want a 4 course meal. What r u paying per child?

Ive paid my deposit booked a date 27th Aug 2015 at 1pm

It is beautiful xx

Thanks

• Andy_Magicman
    Andy_Magicman ·
    • Hide content

Congrats on booking......It is a lovely venue.

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

I think its ten if they are having a kids menu....sausages and chips etc and either 14 or 18 if they are having kids portions of the main menu. Csnt find my notes at the mo. Annoyingly tho they get charged at adult rate for the evening buffet. ...cant have everything I guess.

Beginner August 2015
    3lliot7 ·
    • Hide content

Im not concerned about the evening its the day I got told by another bride its only under 3's & they dont do a kids menu!

Still waiting on reply email frustrating!

Thanks again

Hows your plans going? x

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

Thats odd as at my menu meeting with Sian a couple of months ago she ran through the kids menu...sausages and chip,chicken nuggets and chips and I think the other option was pizza. We are going for the same as adult menu tho. Was also told its up to us what age we order kids meals for.

Beginner August 2015
    3lliot7 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks hun

Still no email but ill go on what you say I just dont want to waste £100's on food that wont get eaten!

If I dont hear back ill give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks again your a ?

• HeatherH
    Beginner May 2016
    HeatherH ·
    • Hide content

Just wondering what the verdict was on this, thinking of having a wedding there 2016 and nearly half my guests are going to be children!

Thanks,

Heather x

• P
    Beginner December 2017
    planningtheday ·
    • Hide content

I am also looking at booking The Old Rectory, would be great to know the outcome of the kids menu prices etc. as we have a lot of children coming xx

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

I cant remember exact prices but I am sure the kids meals were £10 for the nuggets etc option and I think it was £15 for the smaller portion of the adult meal. What really impressed me on the day was that one child refused to eat his meal (all our children had the smaller portions of the adult option). When the waiting staff saw that he wasn't eating they spoke to his mum then told the chef . Without being asked they cooked him sausage, chips and beans so that he was happy.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics