Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Storky
Beginner May 2011

The Jade Goody Effect

Storky, 18 of February of 2013 at 10:10 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 79

I was chatting to my nurse this morning and she said the number of women going for a smear test has tailed off again. There was a surge after Jade Goody died and then again around the anniversary of her death but it's slowed down. Just a reminder to those of you putting it off, it really can save lives. It was done and dusted within a minute. Pain factor 0/10, embarrassment factor 2/10, sensible woman/healthy bits factor 10/10. Do it, you know it makes sense.

Here endeth today's lecture.

79 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 10 of March of 2013 at 19:45
  • Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Right on Storks!

I tried to book one when I was 21 as had been sexually active for (ahem) a few years and my Nana had been diagnosed with her third cancer but they wouldn't book me in- they said wait and we will write to you when you are 25. So I had my first one last year- and all was fine, in and out in minutes, pun intended!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Totally agree. I'm always up for a bit of health promotion!

I think it's so sad that something so simple and that can save lives is often put off as people don't want to have it done.

Yes it's a horrible thought but honestly we have seen it all (!) and we are professionals so tbh it's just a task to us. We don't think much about whether you've had time to "tidy up" or whatever.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Completely agree.

We get them at 20 in Wales and I had abnormal cells in my very first one (which were thankfully ok in the end) so I've had more than my fair share.

I don't understand people who just decide not to bother.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Vajazzling my nurse's initials a step too far, you reckon?

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

We also get them early in Scotland.

It's such a simple thing to do, can save your life. Some women still don't bother to go, when in reality they are quicker and less painless than a bikini wax!

The only time mine hurt slightly was when I asked the nurse if she could see Jade Goody's face up there, and she starting laughing and shaking the 'thing'....

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

Well said. I had my first one last week. The nurse was lovely. It was so quick and no where near as embarrassing as I thought it would be. Its one of them things where you've got to do it you might as well just get on with it. I think as women we are lucky that we have a screening process and we should make the most of it.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I was 18 when I had my first smear, haven't missed one since. Due one in april actually. I had to drag my 28 yr old sister to her appointment. Most of the local men had seen her foof, don't know why she was shy about a health professional having a look.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That made me chuckle!!

• BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content

I am all for health checks. I cant have one until im 25 so just under a year to go. Wish the age was lower though because I would have been doing naughties for almost 10 years before getting checked.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

It's 20 in Scotland, I don't know why it's so high elsewhere. My workplace carried out loads of research on the 'Jade Goody effect' - it was huge. She wasn't really my cup of tea, but I'm sure she would have been very happy if she knew what a difference she had made to many lives.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is terrible when you think of it like that. Ten years is a long time, many women these days will have that wait.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I would have had to wait until I was 25, but had one at 18 as i'd had a child.

The age should be lowered.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree, I can't imagine it costs much to do?

Does anyone know why England has a higher age?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See, I say that I've seen it all and then you go and say that ?

I'd imagine the age-lowering thing is due to the likelihood of getting abnormalities, especially with the HPV jab (I am guessing though)

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The cost:benefit ratio is too high. Very few women get cervical cancer before the age of 25 (and those who do suffer - and maybe die - from it make national news, introducing a bias in our perception). It simply doesn't make economic sense to have cervical screening at younger ages. It's the same argument used against early mammograms. The NHS have to prioritise the highest risk groups.

Wales/Scotland can afford to offer wider medical services (free prescriptions, early screening, etc) because they are supported by tax money coming from England. It's all wrapped up into the creation of a positive national identity - hey, look, isn't Scotland ace?

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

How often do you have to have them, I am 27 and only ever had one?

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

What age do they say to go for your first one?

Was I supposed to get a letter near my birthday or something?

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Every three years

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yup. Almost spat out my squash.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think so (if I can remember that far back!). Your doctor's surgery has a record of your date of birth and I think it's just all on a central register. I think my reminder letters come from Cervical Screening Wales or something like that rather than from the surgery.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

25. Make your own appointment - don't wait to be invited. Just tell them at reception that you want to book a smear test.

• *button*
    Beginner August 2012
    *button* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought this was the reason. They had a piece on This Morning a little while ago and they said that before 25 there were more likely to be abnormalities. They did a smear live on the show, it was the girl's first one, incredibly brave to do it on live tv I thought.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wales in particular has FAR longer waiting lists for most elective surgery/procedures than England though - but they have free prescriptions and free hospital parking, so who cares? ?

Anyway, as FTLOMB says, the reason it's been kept at 25 in England is that the likelihood of actually having cervical cancer before 25 is minuscule. But the likelihood of having a few abnormal cells is reasonably high, even though most of them will never become malignant (we all get some abnormal cells during puberty, and some take longer to go away than others). So you would end up treating a lot of women unnecessarily - and bear in mind that these treatments are not that pleasant, and can have an effect on your ability to carry a pregnancy to full term, so not without compliations - not to mention the mental anguish of thinking you have cancer.

It's most emphatically NOT a cost-saving measure - it's because our public health experts think this is the best option. In Scotland/Wales, I think it's just one of those things which they like to brag about - a PR measure rather than a clinical one.

I had my first one at 23 - I was one of the last women to be invited at 20 but wasn't sexually active at the time so didn't go. Got one at 23 because I had a few symptoms that warranted one; all OK. Just doing 3-yearly check-ups now.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

? Excellent post Storks.

I am embarrased to say I got my letter last May and still haven't had one. To be fair to myself, I did book one, got the last appt of the day which even then I had to leave work early to get to, then got stuck in traffic so never made it. Can someone please remind me post wedding to rebook this!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I am mortified to admit that at 28 years old, I haven't had one yet - and I know I should because my mother has a history of having abnormal smears. I was pregnant when I got my first letter, then after giving birth it just fell off my radar until I got another letter after moving house and joining a new surgery, but by then I was pregnant again. I had another letter about it last week though so I do need to go, and H has been on my case about it too.

I faithfully promise to get my arse into gear asap. I'll try and go on Friday morning if they can see me then because H is off work for his physio appointment so can look after the kids while I go get checked out.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I went for my first one last year when I turned 25. Nowhere near as embarassing as I thought it'd be, all done in a few seconds. The nurse was really nice.

It always surprises me when people say they haven't been, I am possibly the most easily embarassed person there is but I didn't think twice about going.

What did surprise me was that before I turned 25 when I went to get my repeat prescription for the pill the doctor would always ask me if I'd been for a smear. MY response was always 'I'm not 25 but as soon as I am I will book one' never understood why he kept asking me!

The nurse was surprised too that I'd got to 25 and not had to have anyone poking around down there already and she claimed most woman have had investigations for something before 25

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

They really don't bother me, but then I've had a camera shoved up my bum a few times, so nothing phases me all that much.

Had mine a few weeks ago and am pleased to have had my letter through within two weeks, telling me all is dandy.

My friend who is in remission from thyroid cancer keeps putting hers off. I nag her a lot.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I also confess that I am one of those stupid people who hasn't been despite getting her letter last March. I have no problems with people seeing my foof (well, health professionals I mean, not anyone off the street) but between planning a wedding, getting married, dealing with H's mental health problems and dealing with my own anxiety problems it always seems to be bottom of my priority list. Now that my life has begun calming down, I WILL go get it done.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I haven't been asked yet, but will go. I'm not 25 until August but I remember someone saying that I should have one done before then since I've had a baby.

I am bad for putting things off... need to book my new mum check and keep forgetting!... but I know it is important.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks footlong.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

Sure I was nearer 18 when I had my first one. Due another one this year. Always makes me laugh that they cover up your lady garden with a blanket then stick their face somewhere far more intimate!

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

I got invited at 20 but I was bad and put it off til I was 24. Thankfully all was well and no harm done but 4 years is a long time so it could have made a difference. I guess I was lucky it was in that 5 year gap where nobody can agree the risks!

• You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics