Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner

The dreaded guest list! Old friends.

ExpensivePurpleCakes53263, 6 of November of 2019 at 15:23 Posted on Planning 0 1

Hi, looking for a bit of advice on my guest list. I have 3 or 4 old friends that I have not really had anything to do with for a few years. I actually stopped hanging round with them as felt they were a bit too bitchy for my liking and also upset a couple of my close friends so I distanced myself. I recently saw some of them at a mutual friends birthday and get the feeling they think they will be invited (only ever see them at mutual friends things). As we have mutual friends who will be at the wedding they will hear all about it. I'm torn as to if I should invite them to the evening reception just to save any drama or stick to my guns and have only my close friends there?

1 replies

Latest activity by HappyYellowConfetti12932, 8 of November of 2019 at 12:30
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You've stopped hanging round with these people because of the unpleasant way they behave. Do you really want people like that at your wedding? Ok, so maybe they will be unpleasant if they're not invited - but you already know they can be, so that's nothing new!

It's up to you, but if it were me, I'd stick to true friends for my guest list. Lots of 'friends' will come crawling out of the woodwork looking for an invite, but it's up to you to decide who you really want to support you on your wedding day. And the key word is 'support'.

• H
    Beginner
    HappyYellowConfetti12932 ·
    • Hide content

Completely agree with above commentor. If you've stopped talking with them and meeting up then that's a sign they needn't be at your big day. If you've previously set yourself the standards of 'only close friends' then there's a reason you set it....so stick with it Smiley smile

My chap is currently going through the same mentality with our guestlist - he has old friends who he has only seem maybe once in the last couple of years but because he's seen him recently he feels obliged to invite him.

My own way of judging if they should or shouldn't be invited would be to ask myself if they've felt inclined to include myself or my chap to any of their recent memorable events such as christenings, weddings, birthdays etc. If they haven't then they shouldn't be given the option. After all, some people want to come to weddings because it's a free meal and a good night out.

Hope this helps Smiley smileSmiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics