Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner August 2015

Some advice re bridesmaid dresses please

Panda-gill, 17 of May of 2015 at 15:00 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi there, I am new to this so hope I am doing it right I am just looking for some impartial advice.

My fiancé and I have been engaged just over a year and due to him being in the forces etc have decided to arrange a last minute wedding in 3 months. I am from up north and previously lived down south where I met my best friend who was always there for me when I was so far from home and is good friends with me and my partner. When we got engaged it was a no brainer to ask her and my twin sister to be bridesmaids (having a fairly small wedding). There are about 5 or 6 other girls I couldn't decide between as a third so decided to just stick with 2 because previous weddings in my group of school friends have let to tension due to say only 2 girls not being bridesmaids etc. My friend has still been a good friend since I've moved back just not as close as before as she has a new bf etc but we still speak regularly.

So that's the background this is the question. My twin and i are obviously very alike and we are both around 5'3" and a size 10-12. My other bridesmaid is a little bigger at around a size 16-18 and is about 5'11". This does not bother me in the slightest but I am also aware that my partner is only around 5'7" and the best man not much taller. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this and advice on how to dress the bridesmaids so that my friend doesn't look much larger than everyone else (colour we are thinking is pale pink as the venue is very purple!) Any of the other girls I could potentially have as a third BM are all fairly short too!

Sorry for the rambling :-)

4 replies

Latest activity by Panda-gill, 18 of May of 2015 at 19:00
  • TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

Hey. In the nicest way I wonder if you're perhaps overthinking this- I'm not sure its an issue really, when you go shopping as long as you find something you both like n she looks good in then it doesn't matter if she looks taller/bigger than the rest of you does it, because well, she is, and she knows she is so she's not likely to mind? My two bridesmaids are both bigger than me, both taller, both different shapes themselves, and we're all taller than my OH lol, and actually one of them is probably also taller than the best man too, we just shopped and tried loads of things on and in the end found something that flattered both their shapes and sizes, that they were happy with, in a really bright coral peachy pink colour, they look gorgeous. They're both going to be wearing heels (they've bought whatever they wanted) but if the height things a real issue could you ask her to wear pretty flat pumps if she's happy to? If she hasn't mentioned that she's worried I wouldn't even give it a second thought

• critter1066
    Beginner September 2015
    critter1066 ·
    • Hide content

If you are all in long dresses could you and your sister wear mid height heels and your taller bm wear some really lovely flat or kitten heels? I think it's a bit of a tricky subject to broach in all honesty without potentially causing offence. Or you could embrace the height difference (and potentially size difference) by asking them to wear different dresses and Accessories/shoes just with one common theme, so she isn't made to feel out of place and rather the difference celebrated?

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I agree with treacle tart in that you're probably over thinking this. She is taller than you all in every day life, why would it suddenly be a problem at the wedding? All I would say is make sure she doesn't wear towering heels. Don't wind yourself up about things you can't change :-) I'm guessing you're going high street as you don't have long to go, bear in mind that lengths could be tricky, try and go with a shop that does tall as well or your friends dress will be swinging around her ankles/up round her bum depending on if you go short or long.

Most importantly though, congratulations!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Your friend sounds just like me. I'm 5ft 11.5 and was a size 16-18 when I was BM for my friend. Luckily her groom was a bit taller than me but I was by far the biggest person in the bridal party apart from him. The others BMs all wore heels and I wore flats so that made the height thing less of an issue. I really wssn't comfortable in my dress though as it didn't flatter me at all and was much more suited to the smaller, thinner BMs.

Basically as long as get a dress they're both happy with then everything will be fine. No one will care that you have 1 tall BM, but if she looks/feels uncomfortable then she will stand out for the wrong reasons.

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Panda-gill ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the advice we've chatted and she says she doesn't plan to wear heels to her own wedding let alone mine and we're going to get 2 dresses the same colour and length but different styles :-) xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics