Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle772012
Beginner July 2012

slightly OT but what does your OH do that gets on your nerves!!

Michelle772012, 17 of November of 2011 at 21:18 Posted on Planning 0 22

Well i have had a gutsful tonight and am sure others must be in the same boat, my oh continuously leaves the butter knife on top of the butter tub after use "just in case he wants to use it again" never wipes up his crumbs, and will only wash up after he has had a little sit down and after washing up instead of putting things away he piles them around the kitchen for the little kitchen fairy to magically put it all away properly, anyone else have this problem or thereabouts?? i am under no illusion as to who i'm marrying we have been together 7 yrs lived together for 5 of those and i have put up with it for so long my second name should be nag lol anyway rather than said nagging i thought i would find out what little habbits your oh's have xx

22 replies

Latest activity by Sparkles82, 19 of November of 2011 at 11:32
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Aaargh sloppy language! Doesn't pronounce his Ts (I've said I'm going to make him a necklace out of scrabble Ts one day so if he forgets them he has some to hand - it's not a regional thing since his parents are very well spoken) and other grammatical vileness. I know it's irrelevant in the big scheme of things, and I'm a grammar pedant with an ex English teacher for a mother, but it does get on my nerves!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh my OH does this as well. I am an English teacher so it really irritates me when he says and spells everything badly. I remember we had a very OTT heated 'discussion' about him saying 'for' when he meant 'thaw' as he couldn't say the TH sound. WTF is that about?! He can do it on most TH words. Also he gets things mixed up quite a lot, when we were first viewing houses he insisted on calling a bay window a bayonet window, and other such clangers, and refuses to believe he is wrong!

Today everything he does irritates me as I am shattered and it is my hormonal/stressy time of the month!

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

I am loving reading your posts here ladies love the bayonet one lol and jojo85 i think they are twins lmao xx

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Oooh yes, mine does this. Not at the dinner table, thank God, but when eating snacks like peanuts or crisps, he has this thing for picking up a handful, tipping his head back and sort of pouring them down his throat. It just gets a raised eyebrow from me these days - if it progressed to actual eating at the table, I may be a bit more vocal in my disapproval.

On the other hand, what do WE do that annoys our OHs? I know mine hates the fact that I rarely screw lids on properly, so if he picks a jar up by the lid, it can fall. And apparently I leave cupboard doors open. OK, usually because I'm putting the crockery away at the time, but it still annoys him! Ah, and I leave piles of "not quite clean, not quite dirty" clothes by the bed. I am no angel!!

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Neither am i an angel he hates my OCD over cleanliness apparently its over the top and if people come to our home he feels me on edge and says it makes our friends a little uncomfortable, they have never said anything to me and i am like it as my son has serious allergies and is epipen dependant so i have been this way since he was born, i nag too much and i dont do his sandwiches like his mum and i have to have a cuddle pillow in bed between us yet he also cuddles this so what the problem is i do not know haha x

• MissTtoMrsB
    Beginner August 2012
    MissTtoMrsB ·
    • Hide content

My OH always puts empty boxes back in the cupboard!! grrrr that really iritates me!! I go to get a chocolate an there all gone!!!! hahaa

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

My OH interrupts people in conversation instead of waiting for a pause and I have to glare at him, he can't help it!

leave lights on all the time

doesn't wipe up his crumbs and throw empty packets away when making a snack.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Instead of putting laundry in the washing machine, he lets it fall on the floor next to the bed, but never picks it up. We end up with a pile of undies, socks, shirts etc. I used to bend down & pick these up for washing. After years of frustrations, if it really piles up, I move it all into his cupboard, or a corner, & if he has no clean clothes, its his fault. I tell him when I'm doing a load of wash, and if he cant be bothered to bring it to the machine, it doesnt get washed. I'm not the cleaning lady.

He has started leaving his plate on the side after a meal, and not bothering to clean off the bones, fat, inedible bits of food. This is very annoying & am working out a strategy for this one. I hate leaving the food there as it attracts flies, but if I clean it all off, it shows that the cleaning fairy will always do it! Any ideas anyone to tackle this one?

• xtlcx
    Beginner May 2012
    xtlcx ·
    • Hide content

I've got a few pet peeves

He hardly's ever pulls the shower curtain open to air off or opens the bathroom window after a shower.

Never washes the kitchen table when he does the dishes.

He's got a really deep voice and talks dead quiet I get sick of saying EH!

He's in charge of the garden and doggy doo but rarely picks it up.

I could go on lol but in the grand scale of things these are only small xx

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do this lol!

to be fair, I probably do what most of you say annoy you about your OH...my OH always cooks/cleans etc, I am quite lazy and leave things lying about (I hang my jacket over the banister, and leave me shoes and bag beside the couch, he goesd ape!! lol)The only thing that I do better cleaning wise to him is the bathroom (he only gives it a quick wipe where I'm down on my hands aand knees scrubbing like mad) He wouldn't know how to use a washing machine, has never ironed in his life...so I do that. Though I annoy him by not doing the ironing often enough, I currently have about 3 loads of washing waiting to be ironed...oops

What annoys me is that he can be a little OCD with his cleaning, on the rare occasion that I cook (usually only when we have lasagne, my lasagne is fab!) he's clearing away things that I'm using before I'm finished and moans if i don't do dishes inbetween preparing the dinner ( I prefer to wait till after dinner to clear up, whereas he will do all the dishes before he sits down to eat that way he only has to clean the plates and cutlery... but hello your dinner getting cold!!)

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

My OH does so many of the above things and it drives me insane. Does anyone else think they're getting another child instead of a husband sometimes?

My OH never wipes the worktops or chopping boards after himself and he never puts ingredients away. He'll leave his dirty dishes on the worktop instead of filling the dishwasher too.

I do all the clothes washing, ironing and folding and he still can't bring himself to put them away.

He listens to the TV ridiculously loud and doesn't shut door behind him.

He has finally, after 13 years of me asking, learned to put the toilet seat down after use.

• F
    Beginner
    finty ·
    • Hide content

Loving this thread ?. My OH doesn't really do anything that gets on my nerves, the only thing is due to the job he does he's a bit of an 'organiser' to the nth degree. I sometimes like to just take things as they come but nope OH likes to have every detail planned. It's not the first time I've said "do we need a spreadsheet for that" ?.

• tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

MRS H to b - are we long lost twins?? Apparently I never put the lid on anything properly and leave all cupboard doors and draws open LOL

Must say to those with noisy eating OH's I couldn't bear this, they wouldn't have got through the first dinner date cannot STAND noisy eaters!!! MEGA hate lol

The only thing mine does thats irritating is open windows...oh and sulks....and snores.....and parps in his sleep....

• B
    Beginner June 2012
    birdboo ·
    • Hide content

My FMIL swears that the "th" sound is one of the hardest parts her of learning English (from Dutch).

Mine seems completely uncapable of wearing an extra layer when he's cold. He will sit there in a t-shirt and barefoot with a electrical heater on; in a room that's so small only a desk fits into. When I ask him to put a jumper on he replies that they are, "only for leaving the flat in."

He also drives to work when the walk takes 20 minutes. ?

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    BigRedCandle ·
    • Hide content

Love this thread!

Mr R is pretty good, I'm the irritating one out of the two of us :p

The only things he does that wind me up are:

washing up while I'm trying to cook dinner. its not helpful, you're in my way!!

leaves things to the last minute - I'm the kind of person who arrives half an hour early to everything (you never know what might happen on your way there!) whereas Mr R is very relaxed about everything then rushes at the last minute. Example: he has a meeting at 10am and left the house today at 9:54am. ARGH!!

leaves just-washed washing in the machine for it to go smelly instead of hanging it out. Horrible!!

On the other hand, he does 80% of the housework, leaving me time to look at pretty wedding things and play with the cat.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

OH used to sprinkle all over the floor & seat in the bathroom. After 30 odd years of practice, you'd think he could aim IN the toilet bowl. After years of frustrations & sitting on a wet seat, he now wee's sitting down. Not sure when this started, but no more seats left up & no more wet bum!

• Jules73
    Beginner August 2012
    Jules73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL! Mine does this too but he does actually make an inhaling noise when he does it, a bit like hoovering up the food so not to drop any crumbs while he's stuffing his face. He once almost choked on chocolate because of this habit. I told him he should try not to do it but he said he didn't even realise he did do it.

Another thing he does is finish my sentences before me when I'm talking. I know he gets this from his mum as she does this too (unless I am just very slow at talking).

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm with you on this one finty, my h2b does a spreadsheet even when he goes on hol for his clothes, shoes etc. Mithers me to death to pack lightly and then takes 20 t-shts, 6 prs trainers etc etc.

He also thinks that because he works full time (I do too but over 4 days), he can come home and not have to do anything, while I am bathing/dressing/feeding/running round after our little one; cooking dinner EVERY evening; catching up on the housework; shopping........... the list goes on.

Beginner December 2011
    *Karina2009* ·
    • Hide content

The worst thing that my OH does is.............PICK HIS Nose im sure all men do it, but thats the one that tips me over the edge lol. i think its disgusting!.

I came home from london last weekend, and had not done his washing up! so i ended up doing it. Leaving wet towels on the floor when he gets out of the shower. the list is endless bless his heart.

Karina xx

• Sparkles82
    Beginner April 2013
    Sparkles82 ·
    • Hide content

I could write a book on mine! Lol. But, this mornings main peevs are -

1) He doesnt do anything around the house without prompting. If i leave a list, he will do it all,but if I dont then he will presume nothing needed doing dispite the overflowing mountain of pots, the bin being full to bursting etc.

2) He is another noisy eater. I get sick of asking him, and its not just the lip smacking, he chews louder than anything I have ever known!!

3) He is CRAP At time keeping. We got a rabbit the other week, and H2B decided he was going to build him a run last saturday. I asked how long it would take as we had lots to do last weekend - he said 2 hours. Fast Forward to Wednesday afternoon - the run is finished, after 3 hours on saturday, 3 hours on Monday and 4 hours on Tuesday! Similarly, he will phone and say "Just leaving work, be home in 20 minutes" - yes, you will, if you go about 120 miles an hour and dont stop at any traffic lights or junctions, so I will see you in about 40 minutes which is more realistic!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics