Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2020

Sister in law

LuxuriousBrownCars73843, 21 of October of 2018 at 00:40 Posted on Planning 0 2

ImI no doubt posting in the wrong place but am not sure where there right place to post is. My fiance and I have been dating for 5 years and got engaged two months ago. My fiance's older brother started seeing a girl (his friends wife's sister who was engaged to someone else at the time) about 3.5 years ago.they got engaged about a year and a half ago and are due to get married next year. While I'm thrilled that they are both so happy together, I am finding her relationship with our mother in law to be challenging.

While our mother in law has knlen me longer and better (I used to spend every weekend in her house) she seems to have taken a preference to my sister in law to be. Every time my MIL to be visits, she tells me how great my sister in law is, or how great their wedding is going to be (my MIL is paying for their wedding).

My parents are struggling to scrape together the money for my wedding to my fiance. His mother is expecting to invite at least 80 people alone which my parents would not be able to afford. She has not offered to contribute to our wedding in any way and has criticised any venue we have invited her to.

In addition to this my sister in law to be plans on being pregnant within two months of her wedding - which would mean she was due her baby the month my fiance and I planned to wed. I did not know this til I asked her to be bridesmaid and she told me the wedding should be a different date because 'the little one's would be due

While I would be more than delighted for her to have a baby, I feel it a little unfair of her to expect us to change our wedding date on the presumption that she will be pregnant then.

Between this and my mother in law to be, I don't see the point of the big wedding I had always dreamed of - I feel it's more trouble than it's worth.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever felt like this.

2 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousRedStationery801, 29 of October of 2018 at 13:38
  • H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Wow! I'm more annoyed at the sister-in-law saying she's planning on being pregnant then. Does she honestly think that all woman just fall pregnant at the drop of a hat (or her knickers in this case!) She sounds like a bit of an idiot if you ask me! I was engaged many moons ago to an identical twin and his mum treated me very differently to his brother's fiancée and it made me really uncomfortable. She was nicer to me than to his brother's fiancée and she would say to her how helpful I was and really rub her nose in how helpful I was as if to say that she was unhelpful. I'm only talking about helping to clear dishes and serve food at family meals but his brother's fiancée never helped. Maybe try talking to your fiancé or if you're comfortable enough, speak to his mum about how she's making you feel. When I was engaged to this guy his brother and fiancée decided to get married 6 months before us which annoyed me at the time but now that I'm older that kind of thing wouldn't really bother me now. Why are any parents paying for anybody's wedding? I thought most couples paid for their own weddings these days?

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think you need to politely ignore the issue of the baby. Finance is another matter... you need to have the wedding you can afford. Maybe it's worth considering an overseas wedding on holiday or a cruise?

• L
    Beginner January 2019
    LuxuriousRedStationery801 ·
    • Hide content

I agree not to change the wedding date on a possibility that she may be pregnant or due a baby around that time. Becoming pregnant for some people isn’t always as easy as you might hope and I’ve known friends who have tried for up to 2 years before finally happening for them. Equally for some it’s not happened at all so it really isn’t very realistic of her to expect you to do that.

i don’t know what it is about weddings that make family members feel like they can just make any comment to the bride and groom. My future father in law said we were being inconsiderate to our guests by having the wedding in January and they won’t have any money because of Christmas.... o think they seem to forget that comments like that and what you’ve mentioned sticks with you and makes it hard for you to be around them without you wondering what planet they’re from!

As for the financial side of things don’t put any unnecessary pressure on yourselves or whoever is helping to pay for the big day. Everyone wants the most perfect wedding but for me personally I have to put a limit on things because the money could be so better used for our future plans. As long as the day is personal to you and your fiancé I am sure it will be perfect

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics