Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner August 2014

Reception Venue Decor (without sticking anything on the walls)

homespunbride, 21 of August of 2013 at 10:06 Posted on Planning 0 3

Help!

I am completely lost.

Our wedding reception venue is an old church, which has been converted into a theatre so we have a biiiig space to fill but we're not allowed to stick anything on the walls.

The room itself will comfortably hold 10 tables of 10 for our wedding breakfast, and up to 250 for the evening (don't worry we're not having that many). It's got huge high vaulted ceilings, and the back wall of the room is where the concertina seats fold back, and will be covered over by black drapes but, the walls themselves are a dark royal blue colour which doesn't really fit in with our theme.

The theme is 'Rustic French'. Think the restaurant setting in 'A Good Year' or Armande's Birthday dinner in 'Chocolat'. Just a nice relaxed family setting with good food, and a great atmosphere but obviously I'm going to need to decorate the venue in some shape or form.

The ideas I've got so far are for a restaurant style A-frame chalkboard with our Menu written on, and reclaimed doors painted faded/shabby chic white, with our table plan painted on, and maybe a couple of lollipop bay trees as you come into the main room. For our chair covers, I'm thinking basic white, with maybe a hessian band around, or pale blue ticking stripe to match our table runners. Cards will be dropped off into wooden wine crates brought back from a holiday in France. And I've got a few ideas for a French style buffet of cold meats and cheeses for the evening party.

I know it sounds like I've got a lot of ideas already but we've got large expanses of wall that either need covering completely or atleast distracting the eye from them for the duration of the afternoon. The only snag is, I'm not allowed to stick anything on the walls and the ceilings are far too high to even consider things like drapes or bunting, or swags of tuile etc.

I was thinking about maybe having panels of trellis dotted around the room, with ivy and fairy lights intertwined on them but, I'm not sure how I would weigh them down enough so they would be super sturdy and not risk being knocked over by drunken relatives in the evening.

Or I've seen a couple of ideas on pinterest with piles of wooden fruit boxes and wine crates, and arranged with flowers but I'm not sure how expensive this would be. We are on a bit of a budget so hiring a venue co-ordinator is a no-go, the more straight forward DIY ideas, the better.

So, anyone got any suggestions or links to Pinterest boards or blogs which might help?

3 replies

Latest activity by YellowDuckie, 21 of August of 2013 at 19:51

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics