Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Romanticdreamer0606
Beginner June 2021 Cheshire

Postponing August 2020 Wedding

Romanticdreamer0606, 3 of June of 2020 at 09:22 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi,

I was due to get married 21st August 2020 but with obvious Covid issues we have decided to post pone till June 2021, our venue rang us yesterday telling us we can keep waiting and waiting to see what the government decide but then you could be leaving planning last minute things too late, and also if weddings go ahead in August they have been told at the moment it would be small numbers and may only be allowed to have ceremony and then the wedding breakfast and reception another time. This helped us make our decision to go with plan b date as the build up to our wedding has been stressful and not enjoyable like it should be. I wanted to know how many other brides are rearranging their August weddings and why?

8 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 14:01
  • S
    Beginner
    SunnyGreen1Confetti ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Yes, we were August 2020, and have now decided to postpone to August 2021. We have given our original date up, it’s officially next year now. Our venue did say we could keep waiting, however we have over 100 guests, some relatives are elderly/vulnerable. Also we have quite a few guests travelling 100+ miles, they would need accommodation. Then if the wedding needs to be cancelled at short notice (we are ill, track and trace, lockdown is reinforced, etc) then it might be harder to rearrange. Our venue have been really accommodating and helpful, we are quite lucky. I am slightly sad about postponing 2.5-3months in advance when it could have improved, however we doubt the government will allow groups of 100 by August (our guess, no one knows). Also there’s lots of minor issues- getting the dress altered, finding entertainment. Although if we were to have gone ahead, I quite liked the idea of a silent disco- can be socially distanced.

Also we decided we would like all our family and friends to be there. We will get married, just 1 year later.

• R
    Beginner October 2020
    RachaelMullinsToBe ·
    • Hide content

Hi! Our wedding isn’t August (it’s October) but we feel in very much the same position. I think what you’ve done is sensible! I can’t see things improving and you’re much more likely the have the wedding you dreamed of next year. Good luck with everything:-) x

• HappyIvoryHair12465
    Beginner July 2021
    HappyIvoryHair12465 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We were in the exact same boat as you about 3-4 weeks ago. We were (finally) given the option to have a back-up date or postpone by our venue. We initially chose to back-up, then decided a few days later to fully postpone. We should have been getting married on 24th July but we've now also gone for a June date. It's a Sunday, so not as good as our original Friday date but better than mid-week.

We decided to postpone for a few reasons, but mainly because we just thought, even if the wedding were able to go ahead, it wouldn't look like our dream day we imagined. I also didn't want that pressure on some of our older relatives, to have to decide if they wanted to risk coming to the wedding, or stay at home.

We are actually still hoping to get married in church on our original date, even if there can only be us and our parents, We just want to be married and something good to actually happen! Keeping that quiet though, so shhhh! Smiley winking

All this has caused us so much hurt and pain; I know what's going on in the world right now is awful, but that still doesn't stop this being such a painful and upsetting times for us couples. I feel like I've spent much of the last 10 weeks feeling really miserable over all this, but since we've postponed it has felt like a weight has been lifted.

Take care, and I hope things start to settle down soon x

• HappyIvoryHair12465
    Beginner July 2021
    HappyIvoryHair12465 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We were in the exact same boat as you about 3-4 weeks ago. We were (finally) given the option to have a back-up date or postpone by our venue. We initially chose to back-up, then decided a few days later to fully postpone. We should have been getting married on 24th July but we've now also gone for a June date. It's a Sunday, so not as good as our original Friday date but better than mid-week.

We decided to postpone for a few reasons, but mainly because we just thought, even if the wedding were able to go ahead, it wouldn't look like our dream day we imagined. I also didn't want that pressure on some of our older relatives, to have to decide if they wanted to risk coming to the wedding, or stay at home.

We are actually still hoping to get married in church on our original date, even if there can only be us and our parents, We just want to be married and something good to actually happen! Keeping that quiet though, so shhhh! Smiley winking

All this has caused us so much hurt and pain; I know what's going on in the world right now is awful, but that still doesn't stop this being such a painful and upsetting times for us couples. I feel like I've spent much of the last 10 weeks feeling really miserable over all this, but since we've postponed it has felt like a weight has been lifted.

Take care, and I hope things start to settle down soon x

• HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Big hugs to all my fellow C19 brides!

We were due to marry in September, but have postponed by 12 months. We took the decision to postpone back at the end of April, as we just couldn’t see any significant progress from the government in terms of containment or any sort of rational and cohesive action plan.

Whilst part of me still wishes we were getting married this year, as the lockdown gradually eases, the lack of proper progress has just supported our choice to postpone.

Given that weddings are meant to be all about family, friends and celebrations, having to enforce restrictions on distance, vulnerable guests and overall numbers will put a massive dampener on things.

As well as the responsibilities of keeping everyone safe, we also didn’t want to spend a huge amount of money and not have the day we wanted.

We’re an older couple, and somehow people seem to think that postponing our wedding isn’t as heart breaking as it is for younger people! Some people have been quite insensitive about it, it’s my second marriage, but my fiancé s first. It shouldn’t matter if it’s your first, second or ninth marriage, it’s all emotional, special and meaningful. Don’t let anyone tell you different!

At the end of the day, we are all in different circumstances, and you can only do what’s right for you both.

xx

• B
    Beginner
    bopsybunny ·
    • Hide content

We're postponing from August 15th, to May 2021.

We decided when lockdown started that we would wait until June to make a decision, and generally for most of that time I've felt very hopeful. The last few weeks however I've felt differently, as we're running out of time to get things sorted/purchased, and no certainty over whether the wedding could happen at all, or if it does, with how many guests?

We've got over 100 guests and most are travelling from other parts of the UK, us included! We've been together for a long time and even though we have known for years that we both wanted to eventually get married, we wanted to have a big wedding (both have large families!) and we wanted to be able to save up and pay for everything ourselves.

The prospect of having a small, socially distanced ceremony just doesn't interest us. If we wanted that, we would have just got married years ago! I want all of our friends and family there, and I want to be able to eat, drink, and dance with them, and hug them.

A few days ago we made the decision to postpone. While I am gutted that we aren't getting married this year anymore, it feels like such a weight off my shoulders and I am so glad we have made that call.

• K
    Beginner August 2020
    KateDPlanBWedding ·
    • Hide content

We were due to get married in April in a barn with a 100 guests, but moved to August and a back garden reception for 50. We hoped making it smaller and at home we'd feel more comfortable by now but it's starting to get really stressful again with no idea if we can go ahead. Deciding whether we want to go even smaller or just wait.

• E
    Beginner May 2021
    ExpensiveRedDiamonds46938 ·
    • Hide content

We are in the exact same position as yourselves. We were due to marry on May 23rd 2020, moved to August 21st 2020 on the idea it would all be over with to some degree of a decent day. Then the government said YES! GET MARRIED!! Then we seen the guidelines and thought this is nowhere near any form of a wedding to us. No live music, No food or drink, Sanitizing hands all the time (even though we have lived together for 5 years), Sanitize before an after touching the rings, Father can walk the bride down the aisle but at a one metre distance and cant link arms, 30 people can attend but that number includes bride,groom, registar, photographer and any suppliers not employed by the venue.I can not see anything really changing come August, maybe more "guests" maybe a small form of reception afterwards but you would still have to be distance and sanitizing between everything, Venue staff wearing masks. Its just no the day i had in mind. I want people to be relaxed and enjoying themselves, not anxious and worried.

We have once again changed to May 21st 2021 in the hopes that most of this will be allowed, if not a normal wedding day with just more standard cleaning. I feel relieved that it is now after christmas and also worried about all the small businesses for example cake makers, florists who's main source of income is the wedding industry.

If you haven't already been in touch with your registrar regarding Notice then as long as its within the year you wont have to pay for change of date.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics