possible eloping recommendations

HappyIvoryDecor15653
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 3 Sep 2018 19:45

possible eloping recommendations

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for eloping. My OH and I have been together for a wee while, and while we both want to BE married, neither of us can be bothered with the drama a wedding would cause us. There’s family drama on both sides. I had a falling out with my parents, which I doubt we will ever reconcile over. They are not nice people and have become isolated as a result. We were at my sibling’s wedding recently and my parent’s were so rude... just had a face on them the whole night and I could tell they were annoying my brother and his now wife. Her family were so welcoming and tried so hard to connect with them, but they just didn’t want anything to do with them at all. They clearly did not want to be there, and it was a really nice ceremony and the reception was really fun. Both my OH and I were angry that they had acted like that.... they barely spoke to me at all as well, and what they did say were just passive aggressive comments. Mainly, however they just sat there grumpy. I get that not everyone is a wedding person. But you put on a brave face and just get on with it. It angers me that they didn’t care enough to even try.

It made me realise that I didn’t want them there when it was my turn and my partner and I have decided that eloping is probably for us. Just so that we don’t have to explain why family members we don’t want there, weren’t there and to keep the stress down. My mum would be really offended and make my life miserable if she found out I had a wedding and didn’t invite her, which I know sounds crazy judging by what I’ve written above, but it’s just the way she is. If I just said we eloped I think it would be easier as well... no one would be there. My OH has similar issues, with his dad and his partner. Drama would be caused by people refusing to accept they just aren’t invited. It’s a stress neither of us want.

So, I was wondering if anyone has any similar stories, and what they decided to do. Did you “run away” or did you stay where you live? How did you tell your friends who you would have liked there and how did they take it? Or did you decide to not elope and just told people they weren’t coming and that was that. I would like to hear other people’s advice, good and bad.

We would like to stay in the UK for it, preferably Scotland (as we’re both born and raised here!). But I saw a gorgeous place in Cornwall.  I’m not totally against Gretna Green, there are some nice venues there and it’s cheap! But I think we would both prefer the city, maybe Edinburgh or Glasgow, we don’t drive so public transport as well (a modest taxi ride would be fine from a train or bus station, like half an hour or so kind of thing). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I know it’s a long post!

• Posted: 4 Sep 2018 22:21

Re: possible eloping recommendations

Sounds like you're doing the right thing! I often read about people with complex or difficult and awkward family members having a wedding and these family members ruin the whole build up to it and the actual day itself. I think sometimes we have these airy fairy ideas that they will not be awkward or difficult for our weddings but in reality that's never gonna happen! It's good that you recognise this. Have you thought about Largs registry office? It's a Victorian building and in gorgeous surroundings for any photos. 

• Posted: 5 Sep 2018 10:21

That sounds like a great idea! As I understand it,in Scotland you can get legally married anywhere as long as you have the registrar and a couple of witnesses, right? There are so many cool places in Edinburgh - I lived there for a year, and it's my favourite place on earth!

If you don't mind a hike, you could get married on Arthur's Seat or Calton Hill momuent or observatory, with views over the city and castle? Or next to Scotts Monument?

Or, on the Royal Mile, you have the heart in the floor near the cathedral. I know it's meant to be something about paying taxes, but it could be cute to stand in a heart whilst you say your vows. 

Of course all of these suggestions are in public view, so bear that in mind. If you wanted something a bit more private - you could maybe contact some of the tour groups and see if you could have a short private ceremony in the vaults? Auld Reekie Tours are a good one. Or maybe try the people who run the Mary Kings Close tours? Be pretty cool to get married on Edinburgh's most haunted street!

Try speaking to the University too - Teviot Place is the SU building and McEwan Hall is where they do graduations. Both are beautiful old buildings, and you might be able to hire a room in them for your ceremony. 

I hope this helps! Have fun planning! X

• Posted: 9 Sep 2018 12:25

York register office is popular for elopements.  They have a nice old building with a garden.

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)