politics and your OH

Mellow_Yellow
Page 2 of 4 (50 items) < Previous1234Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 3 Mar 2015 16:51

Re: politics and your OH

I'm probably a little more vocal about my political affiliations but i don't think OH minds. We tend to agree so that helps. Or I make him agree with me! Stick out tongue

• Posted: 3 Mar 2015 16:57

I always vote but I have to say that I don't feel like I really know enough about politics to make a fully educated vote. 

Each time I feel like I'm voting for the lesser evil (which I probably am) and tend to just listen to the bits here and there I that people I know say about the different parties.  I would like to know more about what each party is proposing, and it is entirely my fault for not knowing, but I also feel like they'll say whatever they feel like saying to ger my vote and then backtrack once in power anyway.

• Posted: 3 Mar 2015 18:39

RE:politics and your OH

Totally agree with you Pugsley. I don't know who to vote for anymore. I know who I won't vote for but, as you say, with the other parties it is the lesser ofthe evils. I was a Lib Dem voter prior to the last election but not sure that option is a feasible one now. Totally confused!
  • Posted: 3 Mar 2015 21:44

Re: RE:politics and your OH

I still vote but I'm very cynical with it. In terms of party politics, I get annoyed that it's all vote catching to stay in power rather than genuinely trying sort the issues out

My OH is very conservative on some issues, we've had some very heated debates on things like the death penalty. He's more eye for an eye & Whereas I think no one has the right to decide who lives & decides. He calls me a bleeding heart liberal because I believe in the welfare system. He thinks the rich shouldn't be taxed more than anyone else, I don't

You can do tests that help work out your political ideology - it's quite interesting & there are some very morally grey questions that you have to answer.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test 

• Posted: 4 Mar 2015 8:43

Re: RE:politics and your OH

Interesting chucklevision. I came out pretty close to Gandhi!

personalised chart

• Posted: 4 Mar 2015 10:42

Not very accurate as I have to admit to not understanding some of the questions fully ... also felt there were some trick questions in there, and a lot of the questions were very leading!

• Posted: 4 Mar 2015 10:44

Well...that's helpful 

Posted: 4 Mar 2015 10:56

*Pugsley*:

it is entirely my fault for not knowing

I have to stop you there Pugsley.

Its not your fault for not knowing at all! 

I had a great chat with my OHs best man last week. He teaches politics at the university of Westminster, so I feel he is a bit of an authority of the subject Stick out tongue

He agreed with me that the parties are not represented very well, or in fact at all - and its no fault of our own that we do not understand who we should be voting for. It is no surprise that lots of people don't vote, and some that do vote for their chosen party, do so because thats who their parents/hubby/other have always voted for - and they don't really know where they stand. 

A really great way to learn more about politics and to begin to understand what the parties stand for, is to watch and engage with the debates, and try and read bits and bobs here and there. I havent got enough time in my life to sit and read a full party manifesto, but I try and pick their ideas up as I go. I also try and watch Question Time each week (I used to think it was boring cobblers, then I started watching it and realised the things they talk about actually impact my life). 

Years ago I wouldn't have bothered to vote, as I didn't understand the differences at all between the parties and just felt lost. But recently I have tried to build my political knowledge and develop my own views and just talk about it a bit more. 

What is really frustrating, is when people say - I don't vote because they're all the same. Or that they're manifestos dont impact my life - when in fact, if those people DID vote, the political parties would soon be changing things to suit those people. Every vote counts.

I do think however, that there should be more women in parliament, and more representation of the classes - instead of this Eton boys club we're faced with. They're not the type of people 99% of the country can relate to which makes the whole process even more confusing. 

Sorry for that little rant - ha! I hope that doesn't sound patronising to anyone, thats not my intention - I just feel quite passionate about it. 

• Posted: 4 Mar 2015 11:00

Oh - interesting MY!

• Posted: 4 Mar 2015 11:03

Funnily enough, it's what I expected!

• Posted: 4 Mar 2015 11:06

personalised chart

I always thought I was more left than that - obviously getting more reactionary in my old age!  Must work on thatROTFL

Posted: 4 Mar 2015 11:11

Thought I was more right wing than that - but hey ho! Couldn't have got further away from Hitler, which is never a bad thing Laugh

• Posted: 4 Mar 2015 11:43

I'm pretty similar to everyone else here really:

• Posted: 4 Mar 2015 12:24

SW, it looks like most of us have similar views to you, maybe you should have married one of us? Laugh

• Posted: 4 Mar 2015 20:40

What SW said on page one!

My dad is Iranian. When I was 19 he asked me who I was going to vote for later that day and I said I couldn't be bothered. He RAGED at me for about an hour about what an ungrateful spoilt western child I was, educated me on the state of affairs in Iran (no vote for my female relatives!) and then made me sit on google til I understood politics. And now, a decade later, I'm the same as him. I absolutely DESPISE political apathy!

Me and my OH are equally passionate, and have pretty solid near identical views, which is good and easy. My ex and I were total political opposites and even though we were really compatible in many ways, it drove a HUGE wedge between us! I like that w2b and I have similar core ideas/values.

Return to: Off Topic Posts
Page 2 of 4 (50 items) < Previous1234Next >