Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Nursey*
Beginner May 2012

*Nursey*, 16 of August of 2010 at 06:13 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi All ?

We're just starting to plan our day in secret until we officially get engaged later in the year...

We haven't set a date yet but hopefully the Big Day will be May/June 2012. My best friend is getting married in the July that year and I'm really worried that our weddings will be compared (which I'd lose out on as my budget is much less than his!!)

The question I'd like to ask is: Are there any Norfolk B2B on here that could suggest a reception venue near King's Lynn? All the venues that I like don't have accommodation, which will be tricky ☹️

Help!!! I didn't realise this would be so hard!

21 replies

Latest activity by kj82, 17 of August of 2010 at 18:50
  • W
    Beginner June 2012
    wifey2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi welcome to Hitched

Good luck with the planning, I can;t help with the reception venue tho x

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Welcone to hitched. Sory i cant help with your venue either but i just want to say that dont worry about your budget being small or your wedding being compared my brothers wedding cost more than 70K!! and our budget is a little over 5K to begin wtith i was slightly worried as well but our days are so different and if i am honest i am so looking forward to my day and in my opinion will be nicer than my brothers (although his was perfect for him).

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome to Hitched ? Don't worry about the other wedding, plan the day how you want it and not how you think others would want it!! Jxx

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Hi, welcome to Hitched.

I too am planning my wedding in secret, as OH and myself are not officially engaged yet either (got to wait for his divorce to come through)

Can't help with the venue though, sorry. I'm sure there will be somebody local to you who can help.

Have fun with your planning. xxx

• jen52637
    Beginner
    jen52637 ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome!

I'm sure you'll like it here, it's a really supportive place with great advice and honest opinions! ?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your warm welcomes! ?

It's just all so daunting... I had so many ideas and dreams secretly looking at websites etc,but now we're doing it properly everything I've thought of seems to be going wrong.

Like our Honeymoon... We're both into VWs and for over a year we've been saying that our honeymoon will be a 3 week tour round Europe in our campervan so I thought of having a funky VW themed wedding which will be soooo us. But now my OH says that he'd like a "proper" honeymoon in a hotel and be pampered for a week ☹️ I've suggested having a week in a hotel then the next 2 trundling round in our camper but he didn't like that...

And it's so hard cause I can't talk to my friends or my mum about it all till it's official news!!

• Wren
    Wren ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome to hitched x

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Agh hun thats not nice. Can you ask him why he now feels like this, or what has changed his mind? It may be that he thinks that is what you want or someone may have said something (although people dont know they may have been talking about someone else). Or he may be planning something for you. You could always sit down talk about what you would both like and then hand over the honeymoon to him to sort out. That way you dont have to worry about it and i am sure what ever he plans you will enjoy.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Hi Tinks

I wonder whether someone has said something maybe. The thing is that he's really sweet but not the most romantic person in the world so I thought I could plan the details of the wedding while he plans the honeymoon. Then I wouldn't have to bother him with the likes of "do you prefer this favour or that one" etc!! Therefore reduce the dramas!

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

I think giving him somethign to do is a great idea. Once we started planning serious (I started before we were engaged) he went off and started researching transport, cakes and honeymoons all on his own. So i just left him to it. As it is we dont need transport but he was really into the planning of it, so i would def give your OH some thigns to plan/ research as it does make talking about the wedding easier if they have somethign to contribute as well. I think you are right and that someone has said soemthing so i would sit him down and try and find out as i think your VW theme is a great one for you.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I think the whole thing has all come as a bit of a reality check too, cause basically he hinted last week that he was gonna propose at the end of the year so I got all excited (obviously!) And then when I started properly daydreaming and discovered this forum, I realised that people were booking venues over 2 years in advance!!! So realising that we might have 21 or 22 months to go now, and if we wait till we're engaged to start planning, then it'll only be 16 or 17 months!!

So I kinda persuaded OH that we needed to decide on venues ASAP!! Lol

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

I started planning with about 16 months to go and it has all been fine, but then again we ar ehavign a very small intimate wedding in the middle of dartmoor so it isnt as though it is a venue which gets booked up years in advance. Personally i think you are doing the right thing (as when it comes to planning your wedding i think you should do whatever makes you feel best as trust me there will be 101 things that drive you mad, wind you up or make you just want to say sod it im not sure if it is worth it), havign said that i know that my OH felt quite pressured that i was planning while he hadnt propsed so it may be that despite your OH planning on asking he now feels as though he has to. If that makes sense. We never kept the fact that we were planning a secret which was a little different from you. But i really would talk to him about how the both of you are feeling, about what you are doing keeping it all secret till he proposes, what you want your day and honeymoon to be like ect ect.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

Thanks honey, I'll keep you updated! Lx

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Good luck and try not to get to stressed it is actually quite fun i promise xx

• Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome!

We're doing the whole VW honeymoon thang in New Zealand. With a couple of nights in a spa hotel to feel bootiful in. I'm sure you'll come to some compromise - after all that is what marriage is all about (or so I'm told!).

Planning ahead is a great idea if you want to get hitched in 2012. Although we've managed to do all ours in a year and a half with no particular worries - so don't fret!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome.

I'm in Scotland so don't know your area to help you there but what I would say is that you shouldn't compare your day to your friends. My wedding was amazing for us (the guests maybe didn't agree but I hope they enjoyed themselves), we had everything we wanted and more and it cost about £6k exc. honeymoon. My friend probably had a wedding more in the region of £15k and I still preferred my own day. I had a friend singing, castle booked for photographs for just the 2 of us, sky lanterns to give out to the guests and the cake, dress, tiara etc that I wanted.

Weddings are about the couple, the vows and the little touches you put in to the day and not about the money spent. When I've told people what was spent on our day they were surprised so money didn't necessarily mean anything.

xx

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

My friend's budget is £20,000 and he's having 200 guests for the day and 400 for the evening... I think that this is a bit much since I know they've got big families but I honestly don't think I know 200 people to invite!!! Haha

I've worked out that I could probably save £15,000 with a lot of overtime but we really don't want to spend that on one day so are looking at £10,000 at the most... As an avid follower of 4 Weddings I've noticed that the best weddings have the in-betweeny budgets and the most thought put in to them

Lx

• leiastevens
    Beginner June 2011
    leiastevens ·
    • Hide content

Things get easier and more exciting! WELCOME!! Check out your local paper for fairs and eventa, SEPT is a great moth for venues to show off!

xx

• sara 40
    sara 40 ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome to Hitched

Good luck with your planning and enjoy your day

Sorry can't help with the venue, not in your area

Best wishes

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content