My photographer has gone missing....

greenleaf
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12Next >
Sort Posts:
    Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:13

My photographer has gone missing....

Our photographer is not replying to emails/texts/phonecalls, but I can see that texts have been read land we have less than 4 months till the wedding!! :(

The last time we spoke was in Sept. I emailed him in Nov asking him a general question that I wasn't to fussed about a reply. I then emailed him early last week about arranging our engagement shoot and still nothing. Before this emails were answered promptly and if he was away there would be an automated response. We have phoned both mobile and land line and they ring out. After some MI5 snooping online my OH has found him to be active on a gaming forum, as in he was online last night!
    My OH looked on his domain info and it is a different address to the one we sent the deposit too. One of my good friends is a wedding photographer and he has been able to do a bit of digging around and found out that in Sept our tog got into some trouble and asked someone to shoot a wedding for him and since then has not been around.

So basically, i'm looking for advice on how to get our deposit back. Luckily we have wedding insurance but don't want to go down that route unless we have to. We have written a letter to send to his address and will also email it aswel, but if he is not responding what more can we do? Is it ok to contact him via this gaming forum he goes on as we know he is active on there? Can we turn up at his house? Do we go down the legal route?

Thankfully, my friend has found a fab tog for us who is happy to shoot our wedding. I just hope there aren't many other brides who have been let down by him!

• Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:32

Re: My photographer has gone missing....

So sorry to hear this, and its the kind of thing I worry about when booking anything for my Wedding in Sept.

Do you have Wedding insurance? If you do, it may cover things like this so worth checking.

Keep us updated, let us know what happens. Good luck, and stay positive and keep your lovely Wedding in mind. I know thats easier said than done when money is involved, its hard not to get upset but I wish you all the very best.

• Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:37

Could you post the name so no other bride to be get sin to this mess with him x

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:41

Yeah we have insurance luckily, OH will speak to them today and see what they suggest.

I won't name and shame him just yet, incase there is an innocent reason for it....but it's not looking likely....

I'm just thankful I have contacts and was able to get another one at such short notice! 

• Posted: 10 Jan 2013 10:57

Is there much of an excess on your insurance? If not I'd go down that route and let someone else deal with the stress of chasing him down. 

So sorry you are going through this so close to the wedding! Even if he did get in touch now, would you want him to shoot your wedding?

• Posted: 10 Jan 2013 11:04

Sorry to hear about this.

Deposits / retainers are very hard to get back if a supplier goes AWOL as most of the problems people get into involve money.

How much was the deposit, how much was the booking in total?

• Posted: 10 Jan 2013 11:12

Oof that's scary did he sign a contract with you?

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 11:19

Yep contracts were signed, he came round our house, met him he seemed lovely! We paid £200 deposit back in December 11. 

No way would I trust him now to turn up on the day even if he did show his face with the best apology in the world. I have this new tog on stand by and will have him as soon as we know exactly what is going to happen. 

• Posted: 10 Jan 2013 11:43

I'd be interested to know who it is (by private email only)

• Posted: 10 Jan 2013 11:58

Chris Giles Photography:
    I'd be interested to know who it is (by private email only)

Likewise......Sad

• Posted: 10 Jan 2013 12:49

Sorry to hear that, Unfortunately this thing is a little more common than we would all like. 

Deposit wise it is a bit of a nightmare as to be honest you would probably have to take them to the small claims court and that would only be after he didn't turn up for your wedding, the same is with insurance as they are less likely to do anything at this stage, I would speak to your insurance company see what they say, if im right (i have filled in for an AWOL photographer before) you may have to stick a note on your diary to chase him after the wedding and just forget about it for the short term.

If theirs anything we can do just ask.

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 14:57

We have been advised to write a letter and send it signed for delivery and to give a time scale to respond outlining that we would prefer to solve this amicably but will take further legal action if needs be. Hopefully the threat of legal action will make him grow some balls!

Posted: 10 Jan 2013 17:54

Quick update.

He has replied following an email/letter that we sent threatening legal action if he doesn't respond. 

He's excuse? He is feeling ill and not upto replying to emails/texts etc....

• Posted: 10 Jan 2013 17:59

No offense, but I wouldn't go with this guy. Unless you're in l'hospital, it's really not hard to text "am unwell, sorry" or something, and also if it's true as soon as he's better he should've let you know about his absence, rather than you having to chase him. I wouldn't trust him to show up on the day at all! Are you legally bound to still go with this guy i.e. no way of getting your deposit back?

• Posted: 10 Jan 2013 18:09

mariannechuaphotography:

No offense, but I wouldn't go with this guy. Unless you're in l'hospital, it's really not hard to text "am unwell, sorry" or something, and also if it's true as soon as he's better he should've let you know about his absence, rather than you having to chase him. I wouldn't trust him to show up on the day at all! Are you legally bound to still go with this guy i.e. no way of getting your deposit back?

Exactly, especially if he is "so ill" he can manage to post on a gaming forum!! To be honest, its more annoying that he isn't just holding his hands up and saying he can't do it anymore, so you can get your money back! Hope you get it sorted Sad good job you have another tog on standby!

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12Next >