Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2018

My parents are ruining my wedding and the whole experience

LuxuriousIvoryFlowers685, 5 of January of 2018 at 15:53 Posted on Planning 0 3

I am getting married in 5 months and it is now where we have to confirm mostly everything to our suppliers. Myself and my husband to be are paying for the wedding with no help from our parents.But my parents are destroying this whole experience for me and this is why.

When we were looking for venue, initially we wanted a very small wedding (20 people max) based in Lake district but my parents were very against that as its a very long drive for them (London based) and my sister who is 11 years old cannot be this long in the car as she gets car sick but mostly because was too far for their friends and other family members to come. My partners parent did not have issues. So we tried to please my parents and have found this amazing venue we both fell in love with and its within our budget. My parents have refused to help out financially because my partners parents are not helping either. My partners parents are in a bad financial situation and we understand and have decided to pay it on our own. The big problem is that my parents want their say and their way. They want control of the menu, they want a free bar, unlimited bad as they dont think that a 3 course meal, canapes, and a buffet is enough for everyone. we have said no to this as we cannot afford it. Myself and my partner decided to our decision is the final decision. but my parents went absolutely crazy that we did the menu without them and not only this but my mum is refusing for my sister to be my bridesmaid and wants her to wear a white dress! Also, my dad is refusing to have the same suit as the groom, father in law and best man. I'm at a breaking point and don't know how to deal with this anymore. I told them if they keep acting like this they are not invited. It ended with me having a huge argument with them and my partner arguing with them as well. what do i do?

3 replies

Latest activity by Sorbet, 13 of January of 2018 at 13:40
  • S
    Curious August 2018
    SpecialEdition1987 ·
    • Hide content

I know that they're your parents and you love them:

Tell them to jog on or back off or whatever

It's your Wedding day. You do what is right for you and your partner.

• T
    Beginner January 2018
    ThroughGreenEyes ·
    • Hide content

You've already compromised by picking a different venue yes you and your fiance love it but you have had to changed your plans because of your parents having tantrums.

I'm assuming your parents are married? if so they have had their day it's time for yours!

You need to tell them it's your special day tell them exactly whats happening and tell them they need to get on board with this no ifs no buts! If you want your sister as a bridesmaid tell them it's important to you to have her be part of your special day and tell them if you don't want her in white shes not going to be!

You just need to keep reminding them the day isn't about what they want it's what your and your fiance want is it's your wedding your day.

I stuck with my guns for what I wanted and I'm glad I have I'm getting married on Wednesday and can't wait Smiley smile

All the best Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Just tell them firmly its your wedding and they dont have a say, then ignore it and do as you wish... if they act bad they get kicked out

they are only act badly because your allowing them to, they are the ones that lose in this its like a toddler thowing a tantrum they can cry but it doesnt mean they get the toys they want

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics