Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner December 2014

Music - Inspirational Thread

WinterBride14, 2 of April of 2014 at 08:13 Posted on Planning 0 39

Hi

My OH & I sat last night trying to find music for 1) the guests to go into 2) music for the bridal party 3) the signing of the register & 4) the recessional & it got me thinking that it might be really useful if we started a thread so brides can take a look on just one thread for inspiration. So if you think this is a good idea please post your music and it might be really helpful to others (including me!) X

39 replies

Latest activity by epeczek, 1 of June of 2014 at 17:06
  • BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

Just wrote this all out on another post!

1) We are having a string quartet who will play during the guests' arrival. We have asked them to choose what they play in this time.

2) Entrance - Pachelbel's Canon in D (maybe a bit cliche but it has meaning to me and my Mum!)

3) Again the string quartet will play. I have asked for the Largo from Winter from Vivaldi's Four Seasons and O Mio Babino Caro as I love them. OH has asked for anything from Spring from the Four Seasons. Other than that they can choose.

4) Wedding March by Mendelsshon played by the string quartet

The string quartet are also playing for the drinks reception but again, they can choose. My mother asked if they take requests! Bless her she is so sweet and really looking forward to that part! (Not sure she will totally enjoy the evening music which is a DJ and not her sort of thing tho!)

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

This is the thing we really can't decide on - everything else has been easy but we are still stuck for ceremony music. What we have so far:

Guest arrival - generic classical (provided by register office - this is how desperate we are ?)

Our entrance - possibly Here, There & Everywhere by The Beatles. Possibly Lady by Modjo. Possibly This is the Day by The The (Mr Foo's choice, I am very unkeen). Possibly Only You by Yazoo. Possibly some still to be found jazz piece. What I REALLY REALLY want is Feel the Love by Rudimental but I don't think I'm brave enough. ? At this rate we are going to be walking in to the above generic classical.

Signing the register - Love is the Sweetest Thing by Henry Hall, v happy with this choice.

Exit - Just Can't Get Enough by Depeche Mode.

• EdenNI
    Beginner December 2014
    EdenNI ·
    • Hide content

My friend is singing How long will I love you? by Ellie Goulding (bit cheese, but it is a lovely song and will be a personal touch having one of my bffs sing) and my little niece is playing You've got a friend in me from Toy Story! I might have XX Islands for walking in. I also want to incorporate Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros and maybe Beatles All you need is love for a Love Actually moment!! What about Jay Z 99 problems as a first dance?! Joke!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Not sure exactly what we're having yet but I'd quite like to walk down the aisle to Sigur Ros - Hippipolla. We'll have Vitamin String Quartet during the wedding breakfast.

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

Bliss balloons - I'm with you on the Hoppipolla, when I first heard that I just thought what a gorgeous song that would be to walk down the aisle too, wasn't even engaged or thinking about it...the only thing I wouldn't be sure on is the length of the song, which bit do you enter on, when you stop the song, I'd have to keep coming in and out to play the whole thing through :-D not sure what music we're having for anything yet though

• N
    Beginner June 2014
    nemi ·
    • Hide content

My OH and I have found this part really difficult too!

At the moment this is what we have (but may change our minds)

1) Air from “Water Music” - Handel

2) Pachebels Canon in D

3) OHs sister is a professional musician and we are hoping that she will play something for us (her choice)

4) Wedding March from "A Midsummer Night's Dream" – Mendelssohn

• Studying&Planning
    Beginner April 2014
    Studying&Planning ·
    • Hide content

We have 9 days and still no idea, ideally decision before that though so I can actually print the orders of service..! Argh

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Stuck severely on number 1!! Possibly why worry by dire straits, but its not long enough on its own and no idea what else to have!!

2) better by tom baxter, NOT the boyzone cover

3) first time ever I saw your face by maev, if you've never heard her sing just have a listen. She sends chills up my spine!

4) anyone else but you from the film juno, all bar the last couple , of verses which might be a little too risqué lol!!

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

All ceremony music on clarsach and bagpipes

While guests are being seated: traditional Scottish on clarsach

Bridal entrance: Mairi's Wedding on bagpipes then Moon River on clarsach

Signing of the Register: For Good from Wicked on clarsach

Recessional: Vivaldi's Spring on Clarsach

During drinks reception: various Scottish on bagpipes

Dinner: Wedding party piped into Highland Cathedral

Reception: SWING MUSIC!!!

• A
    Beginner July 2015
    antibride ·
    • Hide content

Foo, I want rudimental too! A couple of people have said "you can't have that" as it's a wedding, but I think it's perfect If you really want it, it's your wedding!!

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

Love these kind of threads! The music is one of the most important parts of our wedding!

1) Organist friend of ours can choose what he'd like to play

2) Ten brass players plus timpani wil play PM's Love Theme from Love Actually. I absolutely love the film and this is a great piece of music. Very grand!

3) Ten brass players will play an arrangement of Ubi Caritas by Paul Mealor. We are printing a translation of the words in the order of service. Beautiful piece that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge had at their wedding.

4) our organist friend will play Widor's Toccata. Not terribly original but when I was singing in the church choir growing up, this was always my favourite voluntary and I always dreamed of having it at my wedding.

We haven't yet finalised the hymns but we're definitely having Love Divine (hoping my OH will have time to add a trumpet descant to the last verse). We'll probably have Dear Lord and Father of Mankind too but not sure about the third hymn at all yet!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

IGB2B sounds like your OH is musical too? I'm having huge problems as mine is an ex church organist, and neither of us wants the usual stuff- no offence meant to anyone who does, all the top 10 wedding hits are lovely, but we've both played/ sung them too often for other people. Originally OH had thought about playing for our wedding and then I made this face ? so it will be one of his best friends instead!

1) Guests will come in to whatever Louis the organist feels like playing from his repertoire.

2) I really want to walk down the aisle to a version of Monteverdi's "Pur ti Miro" from "L'incoronazione di Poppea", but a more upbeat instrumental version like Joshua Bell's recording (hoping Louis can manage an arrangement). It's here if you don't know it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeRoCJIHBP4

3 & 4) Not a clue yet really. OH clearly has all sorts of ideas but hasn't spoken to me about any of them - I've vetoed his friends singing during register signing because last time I heard them I was stood next to them in a wedding changing the lyrics to hymns and I;d just fall about laughing. And recessional I am similarly clueless about, so will be eagerly scanning this thread for ideas!

As it's a church wedding, we will likely have Bread of Heaven, trying to resist Love Divine but if we do it will be to the Welsh tune, and then something else, possibly a carol as it's Christmas time. Decisions, decisions!

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

I'm not entirely sure what we're having for the guests whilst they're waiting but it'll probably be some easly listening music.

2. I'm walking in to Pacabel Canon in D but played on the strings not the piano. I heard it for the first time whilst I was at boarding school in a music class and was entranced by it. I always said I'd have it to walk down the aisle to!

3. Again, not sure with the register signing but I'm sure we'll come up with something!!

4. For the recessional I really want you've got the love by Florence & the machine but with the word 'lord' in it and us having a civil ceremony thats a big fat no no. I think we're going to have a good old think about that. My mum wanted us to have Widor Tocatta because she couldn't have it at her wedding but I'm not massively keen on organ music (no offence to those of you lovely ladies who are having it, it just doesnt sit with our venue, its not posh enough for organ music lol!)

For the first dance we're having All of Me by John Legend. We were going to have an a capella version of 'our song' but after listening to it again, I'm not sure it sounds right!

While we're on the subject of music, I've seen a few ladies put up that theyre having a Celiidh (not sure how to spell it) band. What is it, how do you pronounce it and where is it from?

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Holy cow! Can I come to your wedding, lol ?

We've also got a 30 minute Vitamin String Quartet playlist for pre-ceremony (as we're assuming some people will take their seats early), then the same Sigur Ros on our 'maybe' list for the register signing bit, although we're currently leaning towards a Yndi Halda track. My aisle walk is an Explosions in the Sky track. Post rock music really just fits the air of a wedding Smiley smile We're using Mono tracks prolifically during the wedding breakfast (good non-intrusive background music).

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

Replying for any brides with quirky tastes who might be a bit worried at going non-traditional! Music is so important to us and picking it was really hard but loads of fun too! Despite our 'unconventional' choices, it all suited the atmosphere of the ceremony really well and everyone loved our choices! Here's what we had!

Guests arriving - Love You by Free Design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mHfaZ7UV4E

Me walking down the aisle - She's a Rainbow by the Rolling Stones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sZLzfm0GZU

Signing the register - Two of a Kind by Syd Barrett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-yX7HLPTC0

and All I Want is You by Barry Louis Polisar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHXau3zAe7E

We walked out to our shared favourite band, The Velvet Underground with I'm Sticking With You
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs0Cc2NnsRU

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

For our guests entering we are having How sweet it is to be loved you by Marvin Gaye

Walking in music is an orchestral version of Game of Thrones theme (we're huge GoT geeks!)

For signing the reigster we are having Signed, Sealed, Delivered by Stevie Wonder and My First, My Last, My Everything by Barry White

Not sure on the walking out music yet but thinking I can't help myself (sugar pie honey bunch).

• B
    Beginner
    Bells12 ·
    • Hide content

I'm still struggling to decide, but I think I'm going to see if the church choir can sing I will follow him in a sister act style for when we leave the church :-)

• N
    Beginner June 2014
    Nickylip ·
    • Hide content

We had a heated debate about our music but decided on 'The Book of Love' by Magnetic Field for me to walk in, Bruce Springsteen's 'If I should fall behind' & Blur's 'To the end' for signing of register, and to walk out Tom O'Dells 'Grow old with me'

For guests arriving we've gone for 'Carries on' Edward Sharpe & Magnetic Zeros, 'You're so cool' Hans Zimmer, and a few others. It's really difficult as we have similar music tastes but the songs we like have different meanings for us. Glad its done now!

• M
    Dedicated February 2022
    martinkab@hotmail.com ·
    • Hide content

I've got a great musician called Simon Jordan playing for me - the violin for the ceremony and then the piano for drinks reception and when we eat. What's good about Simon is that not only is he playing two instruments, he also is letting me choose the music. (He might regret that, lol!). Anyway, he's got a long and inspirational list of what other people chose at http://pianistwedding.co.uk/what-other-people-chose/ and his website is www.celebratewithmusic.co.uk, if that helps. Currently I'm thinking Better Together by JJ as my walk-in music, but still not sure…

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

:] I'm having All of Me by John Legend for our first dance!

• S
    Beginner
    SunnyGreenCars149 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ladies,

Found this great playlist on Spotify of 50 Songs for Your Wedding Morning. I think it'll be perfect as background music for calming the nerves!

50 Songs for Your Wedding Morning

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hiya, just got the OH to look this up for. He can't find anything to match this exact title, but brought up a list of playlists with 'Wedding Morning' in the title. Which ones were you referring to hun?

x

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

MischiefMumma - we are having a Ceilidh at our wedding - they are so much fun! It is pronounced kay-ley and it is an evening of Scottish Country Dancing. You don't need to know how to do the dances, a good band will have a 'caller' who will walk the guests through the dances. In fact, it's quite amusing when people make mistakes!

We went to a wedding a couple of years ago with a Ceilidh for the reception and I fully expected the OH to spend the whole night watching from the table. As it turns out - he loved every second and danced every dance!

• B
    Beginner August 2015
    BeckyB86 ·
    • Hide content

Great thread!

When we get carried away thinking about what songs we want, I got thinking that maybe it would be best to have our own playlist at the reception instead of a DJ. Has anyone known anyone who has done this? Pros and cons?! Thanks.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

YES ! We have a 'house DJ' as part of our agreed wedding package, and OH has made a full playlist for the DJ of songs we want, and he will be told not to deviate from it. I just don't want some 50 year old DJ to start playing ABBA because he thinks it's a 'floor filler'. I don't care if it is. I acknowledge that it is, as there are always people who hit the floor when some old stuff comes one. But I just don't want to hear it myself. Neither does my OH.

We have a band which we have paid for earlier on, and they have a free reign. The DJ will be controlled, CONTROLLED I TELL YOU! It'll probably be a little pointless him standing there, but he can at least make sure the equipment works correctly, and solve any problems, eh?!

In summary, I wouldn't say it's exactly necessary to pay for a DJ. A playlist can work just as well if you know what you're doing, or have strong preferences.

• B
    Beginner August 2015
    BeckyB86 ·
    • Hide content

Great thread!

When discussing which songs we'd like played, I got thinking that maybe it'd be a good idea to create a playlist for the reception. Does anyone know of anybody who's done this before? Pros and cons?

• S
    Beginner
    SunnyGreenCars149 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, Sorry the link didn't work, here it is:

http://www.shareplaylists.com/playlist/50-songs-for-your-wedding-morning.html

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

We have decided to put something in with invitations asking people for 2 or 3 peices of music / tracks that mean something to them & that make them smile. We will then compile them all together on the Ipod & feed it through after the ceremony & during the reception.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Sunny !!!!❤️

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

Guests arriving - Under The Bridge (Red Hot Chilli Peppers), Marigold (Foo Fighters), Love Walked In (Thunder)

Bridal Entrance - Small Black Flowers That Grow in the Sky (Manics - being played on acoustic guitar by our friend)

Register signing - Nights In White Satin (Moody Blues) & Rewind The Film (Manics)

Recessional - Happy Together (Turtles)

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Welcome all, here's a cheery song about heroin addiction!

Nah, you understand I'm just teasing Smiley smile I highly approve of Thunder though. They were the first band I ever saw live, when I was 14.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Believe me our guests won't have a clue! We were struggling for acoustic type songs by our favourite bands.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics