Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bexybexy
Beginner June 2018

Make Up primers?

bexybexy, 29 of March of 2012 at 13:13 Posted on Planning 0 18

Your preferred one?

Im looking at buying one and there are so many! Dont want anything too heavy really

18 replies

Latest activity by Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB), 2 of April of 2012 at 19:18
  • Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

I like the Smashbox Photofinish ones. They go on really smooth and you get quite a result from just a little bit Smiley smile

• MrsA2012
    Beginner July 2012
    MrsA2012 ·
    • Hide content

I've only tried two, the rimmel one and Bobbi Brown face base.

The rimmel one brought be out in a rash, so the practically fully tube is still in my drawer.

I love the Bobbi Brown one. Technically it's a moisturiser but it's got makeup primers in. It's quite pricey but I would probably buy it again.

I would've tried the smashbox ones if we had a counter near us. The Laura Mercier one came top in the John Lewis best buy list.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if anyone would agree with me but i swear by the asda's own one. It is slightly tinted and belnd's in well with any foundation or holds mineral powder really well. I find it much better than the gel ones less greasy in the pores and more belndable. The bonus is it only costs £5 per tube. Another one i have read lots of reviews on is the ELF one. I have tried that though and didn't like it. It is a gel and is pretty greasy on the skin. Get yourself to asda and try theirs.

• bexybexy
    Beginner June 2018
    bexybexy ·
    • Hide content

Oh Bridal i love a bit of Asda!!! Thanks.....

• *AJS*
    Beginner December 2012
    *AJS* ·
    • Hide content

Love this! I will be using it x

• F
    Beginner
    Flickerty ·
    • Hide content

I've gone for the Smashbox one and love it, seems to last forever as well. I'd also heard really good things about the Laura Mercier one as well. Maybe you could get some samples to try out?

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your welcome. I know it is each to their own and it seems too cheap to be true but i love it, it works for me and feels really lightweight on.

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

Can I be a complete cavewoman and ask what a make up primer is?

• N
    Beginner June 2013
    natsastar ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

its a cream/gel kind of thing that evens out your skin and stuff...

i like YSL's one...quite expensive but you really dont need much, ive had mine for over a year now already and stil going!

• Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB)
    Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I use a different primer depending on the persons skin type.

For oily skin YSL Matt Touch, Normal skin Laura Mercier. Dry skin Laura Mercier Hydrating. Mature skin Smashbox Photo Finish.

Aimee x

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

My sis swears by the Mac one but I prefer No. 7's.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

I have Clarins beauty flash balm and No.7 airbrush away and they both do the job, I don't see a difference between the two really.

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Bexybexy

Some foundations actually work better on bare skin and some with primers. What foundation are you using and what's your skintype?

Juliet x

• bexybexy
    Beginner June 2018
    bexybexy ·
    • Hide content

I have been using a mineral foundation from Avon....but at the mo i am looking for a whole new make up collection....i cant seem to find anything that i Love! My skin is pretty normal

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

I liked the Lancome one when I had my million-and-one trials, but in the end I've gone for MAC pro longwear liquid foundation, which is best worn without any primer at all (although I use 'prep and prime' powder over the top to set it and adborb oil later in the day as I have oily skin) so it definitely depends on your chosen foundation.

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

If you're going for a whole new make up 'set' ready for your wedding (which is exactly what I wanted to do as well) I recommend loads of trials. I had trials with clinique, lancome, estee lauder, benefit, bare minerals, bobbi brown, laura mercier and mac. They were all free except mac, which was £25, but then I got the £25 back off the products I bought (I knew I was at least buying lipstick and liner from mac as it was the only place I could find the proper 50's bright red I wanted so there wasn't really 'risk' as such).

I made sure I got them to write down everything they'd used, and then I recorded on the back of that how it lasted, what it looked like after 8 hours wear and so on. If it made my eyes water, I noted that. If it felt greasy or heavy, I noted that. If the colours looked funny in natural light, I noted that - etc etc. I didn't buy ANYTHING (bar the mac lippy!) until I'd had all the trials and made notes.

Then once I'd decided on my favoured products (mainly mac) I went back and had a make up lesson with them - again, this did cost me (it is free with some brands) but the payment was deductable from the products, and as I'd already decided to go for mac, it was basically a free 90 min lesson to get the exact look I wanted for the wedding. I've still got a couple of products to buy and I haven't gone 100% mac (using other brands for my eyebrows, mascara, and 1 blush is mac and 1 isn't) but I feel really confident doing my own make up and love that I've spent about the same as I would have spent on a MUA (trial plus day) but own all the products and can do it myself.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone

Just a tip to be careful with the finishing powder you use, as some white looking "translucent" finishing powders can show up in flash photography and make you look quite pale.

Ali x

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Bexybexy If your skin is normal have a look at my latest find - bourjois healthy mix foundation (it's exactly the same as Chanel pro lumiere which was discontinued). It's beautiful on the skin. I would use Clarins instant smooth perfecting touch primer on your t zone underneath - this really smooths your skin and makes it very silky ( you can get small sample pots on eBay). Juliet x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics