Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs*W*2B
Beginner August 2014

Is anybody going for an 'afternoon tea' style wedding breakfast

Mrs*W*2B, 3 of May of 2012 at 16:16 Posted on Planning 0 18

Im trying to work out if an afternoon tea style wedding breakfast will work for day guests and if it will be cheaper...

i don't want to not feed people enough but as it's a summer wedding we don't 'have' to have the whole hot 3 course meal but then i don't want it to only be sweet things, how have others found the afternoon tea? either as a guest or if you are doing it at your own wedding?

so the day guests would have the following...

2pm ceremony

2.30- 3.30pm a selection of canapes (4 each) and champagne after the ceremony

(pictures/mingling etc)

4pm afternoon tea style sit down meal including sandwiches, cakes, scones and then im thinking a couple of cheese and pate boards to bulk it out or maybe something else savoury e.g mini tartlets/quiches on each table with a couple more glasses of champagne (or tea if they want!!)

then the evening will start at 7/7.30pm and an evening buffet will come out (more substantial/hot food etc) around 8-9pm

will the day guests starve? any suggestions on how to bulk it out? or has anyone done a 3 course type afternoon tea but with different things bought out at different times e.g trio of mini tarlets to start, selection of mini sandwiches/scones for 2nd course and selection of mini cakes etc for dessert or is that just silly?

i've got so many random ideas in my head i can never seem to contain them and think rationally so any sensible ideas welcome!

also if anyone is going for afternoon tea, how did the cost compare to a tradition 3 course? and what does it include?

x

18 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousGoldBridesmaid674, 18 of March of 2019 at 13:59
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding like this last year. It sort of worked except the unruly kids ate the cakes before the adults had had the sandwiches - one reason we're not having kids at our wedding! Each round table had a traditional afternoon tea stand on it, with sandwiches on the bottom, then pastries, then scones/cream/jam. There were also trays of ciabatta with various toppings that didn't make it to the posh stands, but were laid out on a buffet table to the side, so there was extra if anyone wanted it.

Just make sure that kids know a) not to touch food they aren't going to eat, b) not to eat more than their share and c) not to eat cakes until all adults have finished their sandwiches and the table as a whole is ready to start the next "course". The kids at that wedding totally ruined it for me - I hardly had anything to eat since I don't think a sandwich a child has half licked then put back, is acceptable food!

• Pinkerbell
    Beginner May 2014
    Pinkerbell ·
    • Hide content

We went to a wedding where they had this. We had a few sandwiches and a cream tea scone....there didn't seem to be much to go around as some people on the table took loads before realising they're wouldn't be enough for everyone. We were all very hungry after and all the boys sneaked out to get a KFC!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

We are having a cream tea and sandwiches at 3pm (2pm ceremony). Then a hog roast and BBQ with lots of accompliments as the 'wedding breakfast' served at 7pm.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I think its nice if the afternoon tea is served in the traditional manner on cake stands with teapots etc at the table but if it just served buffet style i think it can end up looking a bit corporate lunch IMO.

I stumbled on this company the other day that you might be able to use or steel a few ideas from. http://vintagepatisserie.co.uk/

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the input, it's hard to imagine when you haven't experienced it at another wedding! we aren't having children at the wedding so no worries on the sandwich licking!! haha ew! but like some of you have said we would need to make sure there was enough and not just a few nibbles! thanks for the website suggestion i will have a nosey! i really like the idea and it is looking to come up cheaper, we would serve it on cake stands on the tables for people to share not like a buffet! mmm...it's another idea in the pot anyway! god knows how im ever going to settle on one...thanks!! x

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds good to me, especially if you bulk it out with a few quiches, pies or tartlets of some sort ?

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

We are having a 'mini' tea party in the morning with only sweet things like cupcakes etc, then a meal, then a buffet at night, i would have liked to do a high tea type wedding breakfast but unfortunately it would have worked out more expensive at the venue than their caterers!!

S x

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

We did this and it worked really well. We had a first "course" of different types of sandwiches on vintage cake stands, and then a 2nd course of all sorts of cakes, scones + jam etc. The sandwiches were really high quality, not just ham on soggy white bread or anything, and there was loads, so everyone was full. In the evening we had wedding cake, an ice cream truck and nibbles and it worked out fine.

It wasn't cheaper though, because they had to "design" the menu for us rather than just make one of their usual staples, and because we specified that we wanted something really special.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what we're doing. Afternoon tea at 4pm, bbq at 8pm. We're not having canapes so we're a bit concerned about people being hungry. We haven't yet decided if we're doing canapes yet.

Its not cheaper though. In fact its £30 per head.

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    alitemple ·
    • Hide content

Yes, we are. We're having sandwiches, scones, and petit fours. Our ceremony is at 2pm, we're having canapes then we'll sit down about 4.30pm. We're then having a hog roast at 8pm when the evening guests arrive. We've also put 'afternoon tea reception' in the invite so people are aware! We've bought cake stands as the centre pieces for each table where scones/cakes can go.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

If I were doing this, I'd do the 1st course savoury things, then, have the 2nd course sweet things. This would slow people down with the eating & seem like more food.

I'd also make it clear on the invites or order of the day, that the wedding breakfast is afternoon tea style with the evening buffet later. Otherwise people may just have a small breakfast or none at all, thinking they will have a hearty, 3 course meal. If people are made aware beforehand thats its a lighter style meal, they can be prepared & know what the expect.

You could add variety to the sandwiches by adding various wraps, pinwheel sanwhiches, mini kebabs on skewers, fritatta, stuffed eggs, brushetta, toasted goats cheese crostini etc.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm really starting to like the idea! we were planning on a slightly (not too OTT) vintage theme so it would go really well thanks for all the recommendations and tips!! i think we would need something extra to bulk it out and really like some of the suggestions so thanks! x

• J
    Beginner September 2014
    jasmine376 ·
    • Hide content

We're having a meal (bbq-buffey) but that isnt until much later so We're also making our own afternoon tea just a little chill out appetizer, Mini sandwiches, scones with jam, cheese boards, tea and coffee... that sort of thing. We're having our reception in a marquee so we decided to hire everything including the BBQ facilities from www.jaspershire.co.uk My best friend used them for her wedding and everything went great.

• Sweeties
    Beginner November 2016
    Sweeties ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at 3pm, then having an afternoon tea with immediate family.

But still having a hot buffet later in the evening.

hopefully it will all work out ok.

• M
    Beginner February 2016
    MrsF2B! ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is a lot cheaper than a sit down 3 course meal!!!! We are having a basic 3 course wedding breakfast, and it's working out at just under £100 per person! Nothing fancy, no cheese course... We're getting married in winter so afternoon tea wouldn't really work, but from researching it does work out significantly cheaper if you can do it :-)

plus, there's scope to personalise it a bit more, and make it exactly what you want!

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

This thread is 3 years old...

• R
    Beginner
    RomanticBrownHair35808 ·
    • Hide content

This thread is 7 years old...

• L
    LuxuriousGoldBridesmaid674 ·
    • Hide content

What about a proper Cornish tea with a slection of pasties followed with an authentic cream tea of scones, strawberry jam and clotted cream - cream on top, then the jam.....of course

Fun, tasty and very affordable.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics