Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

fancyfree
Beginner April 2010

I think I just had a phone call from 1950

fancyfree, 12 of December of 2009 at 17:14 Posted on Planning 0 11

H2B on the phone... (for those who don't know, he works away and he works a lot of hours 91 this week alone)

"Hello? I'm going to have to come back home tonight to pick up some clean clothes. Can you make sure dinner's on the table for when I get home?"

?

So he'll be coming home at about 10pm tonight and leaving the house tomorrow at 5:30am. But hey, it's a bonus visit!

11 replies

Latest activity by Sherrie H, 13 of December of 2009 at 08:37
  • The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

Pipe and slippers too???? lol

Ahh bless like you say its a bonus ?

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

My hubby says that often...........its a challenge for me (as i hate cooking) but i do manage it...lol

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

91 hours! Flippin eck!!! That's insane!

But hurrah for a sneaky visit ?

• fancyfree
    Beginner April 2010
    fancyfree ·
    • Hide content

Hehe, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels like a housewife sometimes. Seriously, the ring isn't even on my finger yet ...

91 hours, yes 13 hour shifts 7 days per week! Luckily it's not that every week but it's all over the shop with weeks of nights as well. That combined with him being farmed out means this year is proving very very difficult to live with. I don't know what's going to happen once the wedding planning's over. I'm distracting myself with wedding craft and tasks. Embroidered his suit with our names and the wedding date today. Scraping the barrel!!

• cotteesgirl
    Beginner September 2009
    cotteesgirl ·
    • Hide content

? ah womens liberation and all that! i would have *prob* told him to pick something up on the way home...i can never be bothered to cook! hope you have a lovely evening x

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

This is for you Fancy Free........?

Apparently a 1950s guide to being a good houswife. (although it is almost certainly a fake)

• Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have be thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they get home and the prospect of a good meal is part of the warm welcome needed.
    • Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.
    • Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.
    • Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Run a dustcloth over the tables.
    • During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering to his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.
    • Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Encourage the children to be quiet.
    • Be happy to see him.
    • Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.
    • Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
    • Don't greet him with complaints and problems.
    • Don't complain if he's late for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through at work.
    • Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or lie him down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.
    • Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.
    • Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.
    • A good wife always knows her place.

• fancyfree
    Beginner April 2010
    fancyfree ·
    • Hide content

Hehe, I've already bought H2B the guide to being a good husband from 1920-odd and highlighted important passages ;-).

cotteesgirl - it's usually more of an even spread, but he is working his little socks off at the moment. In a way (shhh don't tell him) I have it better because I LOVE to cook. He gets to hoover and hang the washing up and do all the runs to the shop when it's snuggly warm and I want some chocolate Smiley laugh.

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

HA! Half of those will never happen in our household!! lol xx

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

That's in the boook of suggested readings for weddings!!! ?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I'm defintely not a retro housewife then. Will have to make sure OH never gets hold of this so called guide!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I must make sure I read this maybe the reason I have been married twice! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics