I need another opinion (or 2!) on this nursery furniture please

Mazzy-moo
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 7 Feb 2010 23:40

I need another opinion (or 2!) on this nursery furniture please

OH is being typical bloke and not bothered at all so I need another opinon or 5 on this.   As I've mentioned we've not much money, so I was thinking of mixing and matching a bit and getting the following -

Cot  - http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Nursery/Cots-and-Cotbeds/Kensington-Cotbed-in-White(0073407) (don't want an IKEA cot as I don't want their mattresses which I'd have to have to fit it)

Wardrobe - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90111391

Then either this http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10074707 or this http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30077248 or both as I really like each of them!

But then I still need a white chest of drawers so maybe something like this http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20067829

I know they're all white but it look a complete shambles all modged together?  I could change the knobs on the wardrobe/dresser so ones I buy so they all match but even so the styles aren't going to match iyswim?

Any opinions please?  I'm going so blinking dizzy from looking at furniture, I fear I can't see the wood for the trees.

Posted: 7 Feb 2010 23:44

Re: I need another opinion (or 2!) on this nursery furniture please

1st link isn't working!

I love all of the other bits!

• Posted: 8 Feb 2010 4:01

I wouldn't bother with a wardrobe personally - S has all her clothes exceot the odd dress/coat in tubs on shelves even now. We happen to have a built in wardrobe to which we have added shelves, but otherwise a book-case-type thing with tubs would have worked as well.

Not sure if that would free you up from the Hensvik range?

From that range, I have just bought a second hand changer and shelf unit, which seems to have stood the test of time with its previous owner, if that's any comfort.

Being me though I would have to match the styling myself though...

• Posted: 8 Feb 2010 9:35

Thanks ladies! I wanted to avoid the tubs on open shelf thing if possible, I'd rather have them in tubs in the wardrobe or clothes in drawers.  I think I was also forward thinking to when it's older and will have more clothes to hang up.

I want it all to match too though Bawl

• Posted: 8 Feb 2010 9:37

I'm a stickler for matching too lol - or was with #1, strangely I'm more relaxed this time!

If you like 'more expensive' items, could you look on fleabay to see if you can get them cheaper, then you could afford to match?

• Posted: 8 Feb 2010 9:44

Thanks I'm constantly on fleabay but theres nothing that local been on and I'm not travelling to the other end of the country.  Plus it's never been that cheap  -  the big names really seem to hold their value?

• Posted: 8 Feb 2010 9:45

That is the good thing about big names - the resale is good so you would get something back... I do think the things you picked out are lovely, and easy to change handles etc on though. If you love it, go for it (you'll be using it/looking at it a lot lol!)

• Posted: 8 Feb 2010 9:47

Hi HB,

I can't see the first link to the cot but think the ikea pieces looks really nice, we have the same shelving unit which has been absolutely brilliant - you do need to have quite a bit of stuff in easy and quick reach. despite it looking a bit messy.

I also have a chest of drawers and wardrobe that we had already.  The wardrobe like Madonna we have hardly ended up using (in fact it just gets used as a dump for too small clothes that are very slowly migrating to the loft), the chest of drawers has been essential and I also used as a changing station for the first 6 months.

L

• Posted: 8 Feb 2010 9:56

It's not that I 'love' it all together, more that it fits the budget and it's white!!  

I don't mind about the cot not matching the rest of it so much (as I say I don't want to have to use IKEA matresses) but if the dresser doesn't match the wardrobe as well it might look crap.  Thank loulout that's confirmed I definately need a dresser of some kind then.  Why do IKEA not have a chest of drawer in their range then I can use that as a changing station!!  If they had a matching chest it would mean it was only the cot didn't match.

I hear what you say about the wardrobe but I'm just planning ahead so I can use the whole 'set' for when it's older.  I can always put a couple of shelves in it in the meantime

• Posted: 8 Feb 2010 10:00

I have a Barcelona changer from here: http://www.tuttibambini.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_60 (and the cot bed too)

They ARE more expensive than IKEA but I think they are cheaper than the mainstream ranges, and some are on offer at the moment - worth a look?

They are often available cheaper on fleabay (brand new)

I do think your IKEA stuff is nice though, as I said, I've bought the changer from that range myself!)

• Posted: 8 Feb 2010 10:05

Or have you thought of Argos, e.g items from this range? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3772847/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CNursery%7C14417537/Trail/searchtext%3ESALSIBURY.htm

Fairly bargainous, and they do a changer with drawers...

• Posted: 8 Feb 2010 10:09

I definitely agree about the wardrobe, we dont use it now but definitely will in the future and it is very useful when they get older as T can now pull stuff off the shelves and get into the drawers but not the wardrobe.  

I don't know why they haven't got drawers, I am sure they used to.  Had a quick look and they seem to do it in wood but not white.

We got a expensive mattress for T - I read somewhere spend the money on the mattress not the cot and he has slept really well since he was about 2 months old - probably nothing to do with the mattress but still it makes it feel like it was worth spending on, will definitely be getting the same for number 2.

• Posted: 8 Feb 2010 10:29

Thanks Madonna, have checked out the tutti link and I'm not keen on any of them.  Ive seen the Argos/Homebase set and I don't like it - it's more like pine wood painted white than the 'white' veneer look I want.  Sorry I know I must sound really fussy cow but as you say I'll be looking at it for a long time!

If money was no object I'd be getting this http://www.aspace.co.uk/product_catalogue/belvoir-armoire-6330/index?instance_id=98331 Laugh

• Posted: 8 Feb 2010 10:36

I don't think it'll matter that much that its not from the same range. Whie is white as far as I can see.Laugh

As for the Ikea cot - if there's one there you like/want then you don't have to get their mattress. We got ours from here, and they make the mattress any size you want or need. Was much cheaper too.

• Posted: 8 Feb 2010 10:37

we have an ikea cot with a mothercare mattress it's second hand and had been used by 2 kids before we got it and Eleanor has used it new mattress and the new baby will be having it too.

The ikea stuff feels way better to me than the toys r us stuff.  We have mismatching stuff as we're really not that fussed and we don';t have room for a wardrobe in Eleanors room.

Return to: Baby Talk
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12Next >