Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

tulipbella2018
Beginner January 2022

I am a loser! With no bridesmaids....

tulipbella2018, 30 of March of 2018 at 18:49 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi, just thought I would write a post, I am getting married in a few years and am struggling choosing my bridesmaids, I know I have a while yet but it’s always something you think about. I don’t really have any friends so I guess I’m just going to have to have family, but am struggling to decide who to chose...just want a bit of advise ? thanks!

21 replies

Latest activity by LondonSquirrel , 20 of July of 2018 at 16:57
  • F
    Beginner November 2018
    Fireworkandfairylightwedding ·
    • Hide content

I just have my MoH (my sister). You can have as many or as few as you want; I know some people even choose to have none!

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Have as few as possible! The more you have the more hassle it, the more chance of tears and fall outs!

• R
    Beginner July 2019
    RomanticYellowBridesmaid25446 ·
    • Hide content

Don’t worry you are not alone! I don’t have any female friends that I am close enough to ask to be a bridesmaid. So I’m just having my sister. It’s cheaper and she is the one female that I am sure will be there for the duration of our marriage. At the end of the day, friends come and go and you will only want someone who will be there for you throughout your life.

• L
    LilacsandDiamonds ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry about it, you don't need to have any bridesmaids if you don't want to!x

• T
    Beginner June 2019
    TwistedFairytale ·
    • Hide content

I'm *hopefully* getting married in Barbados so it'll be a relatively small wedding with just immediate family and a few close friends, so I've decided that I'm not having any bridesmaids either. My mum's going to walk me down the aisle but that's it, no bridesmaids. I feel so much more relaxed having made the decision. If you feel that not having bridesmaids is right for you, then you go for it!

• tulipbella2018
    Beginner January 2022
    tulipbella2018 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for your lovely comments! I’ve always dreamed of the typically ‘bridesmaids’ best of friends, but just guess I won’t have that as you can’t magic friends ?

• H
    Beginner October 2018
    HappyBrownDecor18059 ·
    • Hide content

Who are your options? What female relatives have you got?

For example, when I was younger I thought I'd have my three female cousins, but as it happens, over the years I've drifted apart from all of them except one, so I have absolutely no qualms in only asking her.

I think it's pretty normal to only have sisters, or if you've got any little girls in the family, (cousins, nieces, etc.) that could be nice too.

• tulipbella2018
    Beginner January 2022
    tulipbella2018 ·
    • Hide content

I’ve got one girl cousin, we always use to be close but she’s recently had a baby, and so is always busy so drifted apart slightly, also her boyfriend is quite a bit older than us so we don’t ever hang out as couples etc. I think I may still have her as a bridesmaid thou, I feel like I should have my sister also even thou we don’t really ever speak! Then may have the sisters in laws to be.....so all family really and only as I would like a little bit of a bride tribe, just wish they were people I really wanted and I could have a laugh with etc....

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Better to have none than someone you don't really want or you're not 100% sure about.

• tulipbella2018
    Beginner January 2022
    tulipbella2018 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you ?

• P
    Beginner September 2018
    pooksgirl ·
    • Hide content

Aww bless you, honestly thought try not to worry about it. I am an only child and we aren't in contact with extended family, plus I'm pretty much a loner with no massively close friends apart from my FH and I was going to have no bridesmaids but in the end I have asked the girlfriend of my FH's best man. We are friends and we have grown closer but we aren't BBFs!

There's so much pressure when planning a wedding and having the perfect set of bridesmaids or "bride tribe" is just part of that. As long as you are happy with who you choose to have stand with you whether thats 1 person, 15, o or a bloody great elephant in a pink tutu go for it!

• K
    Beginner June 2018
    Kellydooey0921 ·
    • Hide content

Don't worry about this, babe. Just choose the person whom you love.

• T
    Beginner July 2018
    tjNdespair ·
    • Hide content

We are older with children from previous relationships. Our children and their significant others are our bridesmaid and groomsmen. Our grandchildren are our "littles" We have no Maid of Honor or Best Man because our children our equally valued and we don't want to give any of them greater value in our wedding. Good luck.

• S
    Beginner August 2019
    SecondTimeBlueBride ·
    • Hide content

I have lots of friends but have decided due to the initimate setting we are having for our wedding that we are just going to have my two daughters as flower girls and my stepsonn as a pageboy. H2B wants his brother to be his best man and thats it. Please dont think of yourself as a loser for not having many friends. People who were involved in the wedding party for my first marriage dont talk to me anymore. Sometimes smaller is better and as someone else said no tantrums or fallouts over dress styles or colours lol.

• tarahcoonan
    Beginner August 2011
    tarahcoonan ·
    • Hide content

You don't need any! Best to not have any than to choose people who you don't know that well. I did that and now don't see two of them, one was my sister so she can't leave! It makes me sad to look at the photos and see two people I don't know any more. Much better to just be true to yourself. Loads of people don't have bridesmaids!

• A
    Beginner October 2018
    Anxietygirl ·
    • Hide content

I am a loser! I have 10 bridesmaids and let me tell you... I wish I had just gone the sister route. Girls and girl gangs are way too much to handle - and all of my friends who are getting married at the same time as me opted out completely! They are part of the 10... obvi.

I don’t think there’s a fun or easy way out of the bridesmaid thing. Just pull a Markle - the wedding is about you anyways!

- anxietygirl

• S
    Beginner August 2019
    SecondTimeBlueBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pull a Markle may be the best saying I have ever heard hahahaha, I will be using that one in the future

• E
    Beginner October 2018
    eyesasgreenasleeks87 ·
    • Hide content

You don't even have to have family if you don't want!

I'm not having any bridesmaids and I decided that fairly early on. I didn't want to have all of my close friends up there as OH isn't having a best man and I didn't want to pick just one. I also didn't want the extra expense! Sometimes I second guess myself and wonder if I've made the right choice but then OH reminds me that there's big money in selling you this ideal of the "bride tribe" and doing it all "with your girls", and that my reasons for not having any were sound. If it's good enough for the Duchess of Sussex not to have any, then I can manage too!

• E
    Beginner July 2018
    ExpensiveYellowHair46905 ·
    • Hide content

I get married in a months time and I’m not having any.

i don’t have sisters just a brother and I don’t have close female friends, I could have asked my brothers girlfriend and my sister in law but being that I’m not close to either of them and actually don’t really like one of them I decided against having any. I don’t feel any way about it really I would rather have none than have to pretend to like the ones I could have had and them in turn pretend with me. I did my hen weekend with them both and I thought maybe that would make me Change my mind, but it didn’t so I’m sticking with my choice. I think just do what your comfortable with it’s your day and why add stress just because that’s what everyone else’s photos look like.

• I
    Beginner October 2018
    InformalBride ·
    • Hide content

I would stress the point that you shouldn't have someone you're not 100% on! I started out with 3 bridesmaids and a MoH, I now have no MoH, and I desperately want to fire a bridesmaid as she can't even commit to coming to the hen do, or be around to help with anything at all. It's much easier to invite someone fairly last minute than to drop them!

If I had my time again I would probably not bother with any bridesmaids, they've just been an additional cost and source of stress for me. If you're not too bothered about having them don't try and force it, just do what suits you!

• S
    Beginner
    Sunflower22.24 ·
    • Hide content

This was the kind of post I was just about to write. I recently got engaged and neither of us really have any close friends... at all!!

I do so wish we had a close group of friends each that we could include in the wedding (but also so we had friends lol!) but we are just at an awkward age where we drifted from everyone who went to uni (we stayed local) and have friends at work but none that we really see out of work...

it's hard making friends as an adult, until you have kids I think! Smiley sad

• LondonSquirrel
    Beginner October 2018
    LondonSquirrel ·
    • Hide content

Completely agree with everyone else. Love the 'pull a Markle' thing lol! I had one BM when I got married, and I don't see her any more. My mum only had one (in 1962). I think the whole BM thing has grown too big, though must admit I had never heard the expression 'bride tribe.' We don't have a big circle of friends either, as we are home bodies who don't really like going out, and I don't even drink.

For our vow renewal, I'm not having any attendants, apparently you don't do that for renewals. I had my SIL at the church blessing.

I do wonder if this thing for having lots of BMs came from America. I can't remember people having so many up to a few years ago, not in the UK anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics