Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2018

How to ask for gifts on an invite?

Lilacbouquet, 8 of November of 2017 at 12:27 Posted on Planning 0 5

We are wanting to order our invites this week/next but not sure what wording to have to ask for gifts.

We are asking for money for our honeymoon and think we will have a website where guests can go on and pick something they would like to fund i.e. activity or room etc.

How do I word this on an invite? I wondered about a poem but can't find one I like on google. Any ideas much appreciated.

5 replies

Latest activity by RomanticBlueCakes716, 15 of November of 2017 at 13:29
  • S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Advice would be dont, poems are tacky and not recieved well... ettiquette says you shouldnt mention anything on an invite, mention of gifts on an invite is a historically a demand (meaning you must bring a gift to enter or send a gift if you dont attend)

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

I just went with something along the lines of : your attendance on the day is gift enough, but if you want to buy us something we have a list at ...

I don't really care if we get presents, but I'd rather have a list people can look at so the aren't bugging me about what I want. To be honest I've only had one person even look at the list so far.

It is what it is.

• Lisac6317
    Beginner June 2018
    Lisac6317 ·
    • Hide content

We went for ‘your presence on our special day is gift enough. But if you do wish to make a gesture, a contribution of US Dollars towards our dream honeymoon would be appreciated’

Screw etiquette lol, let’s be honest we all expect gifts from our guests, I mean when have you ever attended a wedding without bringing a gift?! I would rather not end up with things we don’t want/need & I’m sure your guests would prefer knowing that you actually used their gift.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

What ? I dont expect gifts at all and many friends have never taken a gift to a wedding

I didnt until 25 when I started to plan my own and when I mentioned it to the other guests they where shocked because it never even crossed their mind to take a gift

Im inviting people because I want them to share in my day, I have no need to gift grab at all and its a wedding not a charity event when I beg for money/gifts

• S
    Beginner November 2018
    SunnyGoldHair679 ·
    • Hide content

Your wording sounds good! If you decide to go through one of the websites for honeymoon etc quite a few of them have little business card-type cards that have the website and a list code on them. We were planning going through Kuoni and just popping the cards in to the invite and if someone wants to donate great, if not that's totally fine too. That way i dont have to directly say anything! lol.

• R
    Beginner April 2018
    RomanticBlueCakes716 ·
    • Hide content

I think Sorbet is being a bit harsh! I don't know who you are going to weddings with but of course you should bring at least a small gift, it's only polite.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics