How much did you spend on your wedding dress?

lc93
Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 123Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 24 Nov 2014 13:04

How much did you spend on your wedding dress?

Hello all

Sat down with H2B to work out our budget for the wedding. Realistically we can't afford for me to spend more than £800 on a dress (with £200 for shoes and veil etc and any alterations the dress may need)

Does that sound like a reasonable budget? I have literally no idea how much wedding dresses cost, or the alterations. I'm open to looking at ex-samples if it means I can have the dress I want at a price I can afford.

Any flashes of your dresses would also be gratefully received to give an idea as to the sort of dress you got for your money!

Thanks xx

• Posted: 24 Nov 2014 13:12

Re: How much did you spend on your wedding dress?

That was my original budget and totally doable. Unfortunately for me I feel in love with a designer and subsequently a dress that cost more than that. I paid £1140 for mine and haven't had alterations yet 😳

• Posted: 24 Nov 2014 13:12

Hi!  You can get some gorgeous ex-samples for amazing prices.

I got a Mori Lee dress for £295 from an outlet.  Needs alterations but even so should come under my budget. (I had £500 with alterations on top).

Sorry, not got a decent pic to flash.  Felt stunning in it when I tried it on though!

Hope that helps!

:-)

• Posted: 24 Nov 2014 13:16

I havnt paid anything yet but I plan on making my own although some ready made bits will be ordered, the most expensive bit is £70 and is actually an accesory then the second most expensive bit is the shareware section for underneath it should come in under £300 but im hoping more like £200

have you considered outlet stores or 'china' dresses?

china dresses can be a risky investment but if you look around some uk shops stock them (and they are usually only a few £100) which removes the risk as you can see and try them first + they are protected by british law if bought here

also you could wear a non wedding dress... tea length dresses are popular now and can be bought from non wedding dress shops

• Posted: 24 Nov 2014 13:20

I'm waiting for this to arrive from China (excited cos I've tracked it to being on the plane Big Smile)

Cost me £43 including postage. Just hope it fits ok (ordered a bigger size as they're tiny out there), but not a huge amount to have lost if it's horrible when it gets here...

Before I saw this I'd bought a burgundy sleeveless number from a friend for £75 as I'd always said if I was doing it again I wasn't going to get married in white. Yep, above dress is white lol

Posted: 24 Nov 2014 13:21

Hi IC. You can totally get an amazing dress with your budget - I have 2 for way under your budget! ha! (absolute any excuse for a flash!!!)

My first dress was a sample (I planned on ordering it, then it went off the designer list, so I asked the shop if I could have their hardly worn sample - and I could!).

Its a Maggie Sottero and I paid £550 for it, without alterations. I am hoping to sell it to pay for number 2...ooooops.....

I have since had a change of heart, and found another dress made by Romantica, from a dress outlet. It cost £450, and doesnt need a thing altering on it.

If you post where you are, there may be brides who can advise you on local outlets. The outlet my second dress is from had so many wonderful gowns, and they were all new an non over £500 - so definitely worth a look.

Good luck, and keep us posted 

• Posted: 24 Nov 2014 13:28

That totally sounds like a do-able budget, my dress was about that (£795) and my accessories were buy one get one free in a sale the shop had on, so I didn't thankfully have to go looking for bargains to keep it all under the grand mark.

There's some great advice on here, I would also suggest that if you're going to go to traditional bridal stores that you make it clear exactly what your budget is, so that they don't pull more expensive things from the racks for you.  

Have stacks of fun looking! 

• Posted: 24 Nov 2014 13:47

You'll be totally fine! 

Even if you fall in love with a designer model you can always consider getting a sample or a second hand dress. 

Do shop around for accessories and shoes. You'll get some good deals on line.

Hope you enjoy the process.

• Posted: 24 Nov 2014 14:18

I checked on the website of my local bridal shops and some had the price range of their dresses so I made sure I only went to the places I could afford. The first shop I tried was an outlet and I got my dress for £500 (the label said £1385).

D1278

• Posted: 24 Nov 2014 15:25

i was really lucky as my mum bought mine or i couldnt afford my dress

mine was £995 with £90 for all alterations which i will need, however i did get my wedding shoes for £21 :)

• Posted: 24 Nov 2014 15:43

Mine was £175, handfasting dress from Ebay Big Smile made to measure.

Boots were £5 from Ebay, tiara £5 from Ebay.  Bag £3 from Ebay.  Wore my Grandma's necklace.  So my total outfit came in at £188....

• Posted: 24 Nov 2014 16:06

Mine has come in at £200, but obviously as it's a short dress there's a lot less material to start with!  I haven't bought shoes or a hair accessory yet, but my bag was vintage and I think cost £8, and I spent another tenner or so on vintage jewellery.

• Posted: 24 Nov 2014 16:17

Mine was £800 so bang on your budget ;-)

It was custom made from dupion silk and lace and the price included the petticoat and obviously it didn't need any extra money spent on it for alterations!

Hitched doesn't seem to want to let me flash a photograph of my dress but you can see some here if you are interested...

http://www.melissakayphotography.com/swell-seaside-wedding/

• Posted: 24 Nov 2014 16:18

My budget was £1100 to include alterations, and I was well on track for this with my dress coming in at £900.

However, I then opted for a sparkly belt at £160....a veil at £150 and I have since changed my headpiece which is another £160.....Embarrassed  I expect the alterations will  be another £150 or so.

I wouldn't change any of it for the world, though, and cannot stop smiling when I think of my dress, so for me it is worth every penny.  I did go into the shops however with that £1100 firmly in my mind and didn't even try on dresses that I KNEW would take me over it.  Damned accessories!!

Good job my underwear option is very reasonably priced!!!

Enjoy your hunt - you will be able to find something beautiful within your budget, that much I DO know - just be aware that some shops don't stock things below a certain price.....don't be worried about walking away and finding another shop that does - there are plenty around, and the right shop will make you feel like the proverbial million bucks.

And don't forget to come back and tell us all about it!!

• Posted: 24 Nov 2014 16:36

I have my first appointment to try on wedding dresses this Saturday - hugely excited! I have set a budget of £1000 but am cluless as to what than can get me. Although feeling slightly relieved looking at the previous messages on this thread - some gorgeous dresses!

Quick question - is VAT included in the quote of the price by the shop or is this added on? That may be a silly question so apologies! x

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 3 (41 items) 123Next >