Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2019

How long to have the bar open?

HappyPinkDecor3156, 9 of April of 2019 at 22:07 Posted on Planning 0 3

We're getting married next month and have just had the final time line of the day through from the venue.

Wedding is at 2pm then drinks reception and photos from 2:30 with the sit down for the wedding breakfast at 4:15 and the evening reception starting at 7:15.

The guests will get prosecco at 2:30, wine on the tables at dinner and prosecco for the toast. We are paying for the bar.

The venue want to open the bar at 2:30 when the ceremony ends. Am I right about being worried about this? Admittedly I've not been to many weddings but the ones I've been to have only had an open bar in the evening for the reception before that you had to pay yourself.

Whilst cost is a factor I don't want my guests getting hammered before dinner and impacting the speeches etc.

What's the best thing to do here?

3 replies

Latest activity by Missus_Mop, 25 of April of 2019 at 09:16
  • R
    Beginner May 2019
    RomanticBlueHair36750 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We are doing a similar time line like you. Instead of an open bar we are giving drink tokens to the guests at the night time. .

Plus we have told the hotel about serving a couple of guests drinks who we know get roudy when they are drunk

• R
    Savvy August 2019
    RomanticPinkDecor31906 ·
    • Hide content

If anyone wants anything other than the drinks your providing they will go thirsty if the bar is not open. Could you have a cash bar then open it up to an open bar later if that’s what you want?

• F
    Savvy August 2019
    Fairy5 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We have a similar timeline to you and our reception is buckets of beer and pink bubbly. We will ask the venue to supply some soft drinks for those not drinking along with some water but I don't anticipate opening the bar during the reception. And if anyone IS fussy enough to not like the soft drinks or the alcohol then they can pay for their own.

I just think that you're providing free drinks for your reception and if you open the bar at the same time then you risk your reception drinks going to waste. The last wedding I went to literally had 2 drinks each and then they ran out so we had to use the bar.

If your venue is insisting on opening the bar at h 2.30 then make it a cash bar. Keep the free bar for the evening.

• M
    Curious September 2019
    Missus_Mop ·
    • Hide content

I echo what some of the others are saying. You are providing a drinks reception and wine for the tables. Make the bar a cash bar in the afternoon, as people will be less inclined to drink until hammered, and the drinks that you are providing won't be wasted.

I'd wait until the evening party starts and the meal is over to make it an open bar. That's really generous anyway :-) It helps control things a little, too.

I have similar concerns for my wedding - as we're having a village hall wedding and no bar, so are providing all the wine, fizz and beer for the afternoon, and asking people to bring spirits (or whatever) for the evening (but we expect we shall likely supply more than enough booze to last the day).

I'm worried that everyone will be totally sozzled early in the afternoon on copious wine, before the meal and speeches, and am trying to think of a way of controlling it a little!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics