Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mel_ODrama
Beginner August 2008

How best to feed my Togs?

Mel_ODrama, 18 of July of 2008 at 22:23 Posted on Planning 0 15

HI there,

I'm setting final numbers for the caterers and I want to make sure the togs are fed and watered.

I'm discovering now that I haven't thought this through very well.

I had planned to have them sharing the wedding breakfast with us, and sitting on a table with some friends that are good fun and easy to talk to, and had assumed that this is the norm, but now I'm not sure if that is what they are expecting? Would they rather not sit at a table, do you suppose?

If not, how do I make sure they don't go hungry?

How do people usually accomodate photographers and

Togs, what would be the best option from your point of view?

I'm about to ask them about allergies etc, but I don't want to embarass myself by inviting them to sit down with us and eat if it's not the done thing ?

15 replies

Latest activity by MagicEdit-Videos, 5 of October of 2010 at 18:11
  • Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content

All the people we needed to feed like togs had the main meal from the wedding breakfast in another room.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hi there!

Our preference is not to eat with the guests - it gives us an opportunity to look through the photos already taken and to recharge any equipment if needed. If our clients offer a bar meal or sandwiches etc we would accept, but do not expect this and just take sandwiches to the majority of weddings we do.

Probably best to speak to your tog and see what they would prefer to do, don't feel that you're expected to feed them though. If you have a contract check if it mentions anything in there.

Hope that helps!

Alison ?

• Mel_ODrama
    Beginner August 2008
    Mel_ODrama ·
    • Hide content

Aha! I knew I'd be missing the point somewhere - I never thought that they would want a working lunch as it were, I was thinking of them having a rest!

OK, I think it's best I ask them

Zo, who else did you feed?

• Dobege (HIB)
    Dobege (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Alison but ask your togs they may have their own ideas.

We've meet some lovely people when asked to join the guests at the wedding breakfast, but we do prefer to sit in another room so that we can check our shots from earlier in the day.

Hope this helps

Martin & Joanna

• Zo�
    Beginner July 2009
    Zo� ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I dont actually know if the tog ate hers as she left around then, the videographer and our OTTC also had food and the DJ ate from the buffet in the evening as did our OTTC as well (videographer left after the first dance)

• dreammachine
    dreammachine ·
    • Hide content

Always best to check. Many togs leave after the 'fake cake cutting' and wouldn't need feeding.

Those that are staying until the 1st dance always appreciate sandwiches and coffee. It is their chance to unwind and check their shots.

It's a good idea to arrange this prior to the big day too, as trying to arrange these on the day itself causes palpitations in the hotel kitchens.

• cariad
    Beginner
    cariad ·
    • Hide content

We told ours to have a bar snack and told the venue to put it on our room bill

they then ate it in the other part of the venue away from us

• Rusty the Clown
    Rusty the Clown ·
    • Hide content

We've never sat in the room with the guests (apart from one couple who had a BBQ and we did sit in the garden with everyone else but tucked ourselves away in a corner). We've had varying meals from sarnies to the three course the guests are having. To be honest, as long as we've had a sarnie and a cuppa then we are very happy.

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

View from photographer: We/I don't want much food at all, if anything a jug of cold squash or water is nice, we take sandwiches in a cold box, and defo no booze

View from groom who is having a attending photographer: We are getting married in Retford on the 30th August, and we are putting £35.00 in the (behind the bar) fund for them to have a bar meal/drink or whatever, whenever they want to grab one. We are very good friends with our photographer, and she has been a website customer of mine for a while. The photographer can have what she wants, and can have free grabs from the bufet too!

And the question everyone asks: who does a photographer choose to shoot their wedding?

Claire Juliette, a superb portrait and wedding photographer, she is based in Leicester/Loughbrough area, and her website is clairejuliette.co.uk this is a shameless plug for my local photographer in competition with me! Go look at her site, call her and book her, she is a lovley lady, and takes beautiful photographs

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

Check your photographer's contract. Our says she'd like a drink which we gladly provided but she left (as agreed) well before the meal started having done the group, couple & fake cake cutting photos.

I would think it very odd if a supplier was having the meal with the guests unless they were also a "guest" or close friend/colleague. If they're staying all day perhaps a bar meal or just the main course from the wedding meal would be appropriate.

• Mel_ODrama
    Beginner August 2008
    Mel_ODrama ·
    • Hide content

Many thanks to all of you for your replies, views and experiences - as ever you've raised some brill points I hadn't even thought about

Thanks again ?

x

• T
    timmac ·
    • Hide content

Hi

As a tog, I would not expect anything to be provided. I always bring along my own sandwiches,drinks as I would not want to impose on the bride/groom in anyway. Of course, if there was a buffet and some spare food going, I wouldnt mind nibbling a few things after all the guests had eaten, but if not, then I simply go into my car and eat my sandwiches. I feel it's inappropriate and rude for a photographer to expect to be fed on the day! I have had couples provide a sit down meal for me in the past, but to be honest, I'd prefer they didn't since I don't want to intrude onto anyone's table and make guests feel uncomfortable having a stranger around.

Regards

Tim

--------------------------------------------

www.timmaclachlan.co.uk

Weddings full-day from £250

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

THIS THREAD IS TWO YEARS OLD!!!!!

had to do a double take when I saw mel's name....

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    mrslowndes2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? lol I was thinking there was alot of unlisted suppliers on this thread 2!

• JonCraven
    JonCraven ·
    • Hide content

This is a really good question...

I'm a Reportage Photographer and often find myself shooting from 9am through to 8:30pm (I don't like to do fake cake cuts or dances as I believe they look fake and have no feeling to them). I ask for sustenance to be provided as I don't have room in my "spares" bag for sandwiches and often the car's a mile away. This can be either in the form of a bar meal or a seat at one of the Wedding Breakfast tables...

Also, I don't really want to be away from the "action" I've caught many really nice photos whilst sat at a table (I don't shot people actually eating) but kids playing and people chatting works really well.

Ask your photographer what they'd prefer, but also ask the reception venue, I've often been given a spare plate of food once the guests have been served. It's really easy for them to serve it rather than throw it away!

• MagicEdit-Videos
    MagicEdit-Videos ·
    • Hide content

We have never eaten with the guests as, like the others have said, its a good time for us to check through tapes etc. A bar snack & drink is always appreciated but we are perfectly happy taking a packed lunch with us.

I'd have a chat with your photographer and see what they'd be most comfortable doing Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics