Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Taffie
Beginner July 2007

Gingey Wife (Q about shipping your worldly goods to the US)

Taffie, 6 of August of 2009 at 18:06 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 18

? Just a quick question (or 2 ?) if you don't mind. What company did you use to ship all your stuff over to Washington? Would you recommend them, and how long did it take for your stuff to arrive?

18 replies

Latest activity by Peaches, 7 of August of 2009 at 15:46
  • G
    Beginner September 2005
    Gingey Wife ·
    • Hide content

We didn't do it properly so I can't recommend anyone. All we took was about 6 big boxes worth and shipped via DHL. I can tell you how to send cats though ? Ask Peaches I think she did shipping via sea.

Is it all getting a bit real now?

• Taffie
    Beginner July 2007
    Taffie ·
    • Hide content

Wah, I think ours will take more than 6 boxes. Things are progressing, but after all the delays so far I won't believe it until we're unpacking at the other end ?

Thanks for taking time out to answer!

• G
    Beginner September 2005
    Gingey Wife ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats ok you only interupted my lying down reading my book. I was supposed to be lying by the pool today but its raining so it doesnt open ☹️

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

I thought this was about Dairy Milk. ?

• G
    Beginner September 2005
    Gingey Wife ·
    • Hide content

Its not always about chocolate ?

• Taffie
    Beginner July 2007
    Taffie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What? ?

GW, if it's any comfort, it's raining here too. How are you settling in?

• G
    Beginner September 2005
    Gingey Wife ·
    • Hide content

I love it but we'll probably be back blighty way just after Xmas ☹️ I've made so many great friends and seen some fab stuff. Where we live is amazing, we have 15 community pools in a 5 mile area. Costs $15 for the whole season - memorial day to labour day!

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

GW asked for Dairy Milk a few days ago and I thought you were going to post some to her. Then I thought she's going to have an awful lot of chocolate, then I thought I need to mind my own business. ?

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

PS ? I wish you could stay forever, even if I prefer you in this country.

• Taffie
    Beginner July 2007
    Taffie ·
    • Hide content

One can never have too much chocolate ?

How come you're coming back, is it the end of the secondment already?

• Ethel
    Beginner
    Ethel ·
    • Hide content

We used a shipping company, but I can't remember who, and I wouldnt recomend them as they broke loads of my wedding china by putting a box full of books (marked Books, and Heavy) on top of a box marked Fragile..dicks!

Ours was mostly boxes and a few bits of furniture..

• G
    Beginner September 2005
    Gingey Wife ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Tehy want to end it early, we think. Will know more at end of august. MrG trying to get permenanat with the US part of the company but who knows.

• Taffie
    Beginner July 2007
    Taffie ·
    • Hide content

That's a bit of an arse. Hope it works out for you.

• CJJ
    Beginner
    CJJ ·
    • Hide content

The company we used were OK. Actually, no. The guys who we dealt with in the UK and who did all the packing in the UK were great. But, when it got to the other end, we ended up with a man and a van and his son (OK, so it was a big van, but compared to the guys who did our removals recently they were far from professional).

So, I probably wouldn't recommend them I would give you the advice of asking the company who they use on the other end as that can be just as important eg they claimed they couldn't get our three seater sofa up the stairs, so left it in the garage. We eventually got it up when our landlord was redoing the back porch and he got the builders to hoist it up for us. But then when we moved a few months ago, the removals guys we used had no problems getting it down the stairs.

Anyway, I digress. We packed up in mid-March and the shipment was with us on 1st May. This would have been quicker if we had used a full container, but as it was, we chose to go with a shared container, so that delays things until they fill it.

Have you got a date for moving yet?

• Taffie
    Beginner July 2007
    Taffie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a good bit of advice, thanks. We already have one company in mind, who moved us into this place in February, but obviously it's good to hear other recs on non-recs!

No dates yet, we should have been there last Jan, but now they've decided to finally go ahead they need to recost everything. We're doing our part by getting some shipping quotes, as the company would be paying for it.

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content

We used Robinsons International for the UK end, and Graebel this end.

We had a full 40' container, some stuff in UK storage (being shipped over to us now actually seeing as we're here permanently now [all sorts of crap heading our way lol]) and apart from the endless cups of tea on the UK end, everything was fine.

A few breakages (including my piano), but it was all covered under insurance, so everything was repaired / replaced.

Used Graebel again for a local move 2 weeks ago. Couldn't fault them apart from them damaging my floral arrangements (artificial). Just had them repaired today actually.

• Taffie
    Beginner July 2007
    Taffie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, 40'. We're looking at 20', which seems to be standard. We've got someone coming round to do a quote tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Thanks to all who've answered ?

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, well, we have too much stuff! ?

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content

Wouldn't miss this on a dark night! ?

[View:https://www.hitched.co.uk/Chat/themes/hitched/utility/:550:0]