Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Flowers for a winter wedding

20 of November of 2012 at 21:03 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hello everyone, first time poster please be kind Smiley smile

I'm getting married on 30 December 2013, so I've got time to get organised but I'm organising from a distance (we live in London, wedding will be in the North East) and not in my home time (for various reasons we're having the wedding in my fiance's home town not mine) so I don't have an immense amount of local knowledge

Anyway, I've just started talking to florists as I realised quickly a number are closed at this time of year, and some really messed me about on quotes, and I panicked there'd be no one to do the flowers, so I wanted to source a florist, even if we don't actually talk flowers until some point next year.

I just wondered if there were any other winter brides out there and what flowers they had gone for? I know these days you can get anything at any time, but I want to use flowers that look like you might get them in winter (if that makes sense!). I want to embrace the wintryness, not pretend it's a summer's day, equally I don't want Christmas themed. I'd be really interested to know what others have done or are thinking of. No definite colours decided yet, but dark green will be one, and my dress will be white. We're favouring gold over silver.

I want to use flowers for the table decorations as well.

Apologies for the long rambling post! Smiley smile

13 replies

Latest activity by princesssaraht, 22 of November of 2012 at 21:01
  • T
    Beginner December 2013
    tams82 ·
    • Hide content

Hello! I am getting married 22nd December 2013 and we are kinda having lights/candles as our theme and thinking about having lots of fairy lights and candles alongside some brightly coloured flowers. For our table centres i really like the trees/twigs which have tea lights and flowers hanging off them. We have spoken to a few florists and none of them seem to have a problem with booking around that time! Has your venue got florists they recommend? Or maybe if there is a wedding fair up north you could go and try and book one then?

Hope that helps a bit!

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married 28th December and understand the frustration of sorting flowers at that time. I've been told that most of the flower markets are shut the week between Christmas and New Year so some florists can only offer flowers that will keep well in cold storage that week. A few florists told me they were very limited in what they could get but I did manage to find one who says she can source flowers that week. I'd ask your venue or other suppliers if they know of any florists who are open that week. Of course the other option is to use silk/foam flowers.

There was a post here last week asking about winter flowers so you might get some ideas here

https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/351179.aspx

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about faking it? I had silk flowers and they looked amazing. Unless you are having heavily scented fresh flowers, there is little difference.

V

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I keep forgetting to check my receipt from the florist.

Off the top of my head I can only remember having some combo of roses, steel berries and possibly some ivy. I'll try to remember to check tonight.

If you need to go down the moodboard route then I've found Pinterest to be the easiest way to save pretty pictures.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Checked my receipt and all that is written is "red and violet roses with winter berries and nice foliage". Sorry if that's not much help.

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

White lilies,twigs,*** willow,tree ivy (could have the berries sprayed gold) and cymbidium orchids are all awailable and look wintry The orchids come in lots of colours including lime green,white, green & red. Google is your friend ! Roses are available all year round as well.

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha! They bleeped one of my words ! p**sy willow was what it said :-)

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

I posted a quote request on Freeindex and got some good responses. I'm having lilies but I would no matter what time of year it was so that's not very helpful! If I was going winter-themed I'd probably do twigs on tables but not sure about flowers. Berries would seem too christmassy.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEA2012 ·
    • Hide content

Hi I'm getting married on 28th Dec this year and I am having red roses with hyper-something berries in a similar style to the one below and for an extra tenner I'm having a crap load of diamantes in the roses! I appreciate this might not help you much as red and sparkly is quite christmassy but just wanted to let you know that some flowers are not a problem at this time of the year. Also when looking for ideas I would just google image search wedding bouquets etc to give you some good ideas rather than looking for the type of flower x

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

Had a look through some scribbles I made back when researching my flowers, this is just from extensive googling.

As previously mentioned roses are widely available. Tulips and amaryllis can be force grown in the winter. Amaryllis come in loads of different colours, there is one called White Christmas which is pretty much pure white and if you are considering reds and pinks then google black pearl, picotee, nymph and sumatra amaryllis. Marks and Spencers had a load of potted Amaryllis a few weeks ago so it might be worth a look to see if you like them.

You can get loads of different coloured berries and they can last for weeks after they have been cut. LEA2012 I think is taking about hypericum berries which can be white, green/yellow, red or almost black. Callicapa berries are bright purple. Steel berries are a much softer purple/blue. Winterberries are bright red. Or you can have dried berries sprayed/gold silver.

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

Hi We are getting married on the 8th of december and here are the pictures we took to the florist. Anemones (the ones with the black centres) are in season during the winter months. We are having white thistles as my grandad was scottish, and having the white/green berries with some icy green foliage. Then the florist will just add some roses etc as filler flowers.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics