Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner September 2012

Dress Style

donna1988x, 30 of August of 2011 at 15:49 Posted on Planning 0 16

Whats style dress did you go for? Did you have an idea of a style that you wanted before you went trying on?

I bought my dress the other day and didnt really have a preference to what style I wanted... I just knew I didnt want anything big and puffy as i thought some of the dresses can look cheap and a bit "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding"

Anyway...i thought i'd try a big one on just to see how it felt....and i loved it!! Im only young (22) and felt like other dresses aged me.

Anyone had a similar experience??

BTW...the dress is Blu By Mori Lee (4816) What do u think?

16 replies

Latest activity by CarolineBride, 30 of August of 2011 at 21:57
  • Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

It's not really my kind of dress, but the sweetheart neckline and the bodice bit is absolutely beautiful.

I'm the same age as you and I don't want a big bulky one. The main reason for me though is because I'm not a princessy kind of girl. I'm quite "ordinary" so don't fancy having anything massive.

Having said that, I haven't tried on ANY dresses yet so my mind might change once I start trying them on!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I always knew I would have a red dress, but I wasn't sure of what style I would like. I spotted one online, and loved it when I tried it on!!

• D
    Beginner September 2012
    donna1988x ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! No I dont have a picture with me in it...didnt want one because i knew i'd show everyone it lol!

The neckline is the part i liked the most...its really suited my figure and i really did feel great in it.

I would also say im quite ordinary...thats why i kinda shocked myself by liking it.

Hope you find the right dress for you!

• T
    Beginner October 2012
    TracieGtobe ·
    • Hide content

I had decided i wanted a dress like this.....

probably white, floaty chiffony material, small train if any but then I toyed with the idea of shoulders.So whilst shopping the shop I was in only had one dress with shoulders, didnt pay any attention to style or detail but tried it on just to see what the shoulders looked like....

And the rest is history - Fell in love, didnt want to take it off and MIL cried. and its nothing like what i wanted. Its a heavy material, with a huge train.... and its RED!! I chose Sonsie by Veromia style 9001

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Love your dress i wanted straight or slim fitting an the assistant after me trying on several said i know what you need and pulled out Bonny Unforgettable style 1811 in Ivory i fell in love the second i put it on x

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yay another Red Bride!! Here's mine Smiley smile

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Just posted this in another thread but here goes anyway...

I wanted single layer floaty chiffon since I'm marrying on the beach. Like this

Although dresses like that looked abolutely lovely on me, I ended up going for sthg a bit more bridal (but still chiffon, albiet many many layers)

• T
    Beginner October 2012
    TracieGtobe ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh thats gorgeous! - mine is darker red than that, totally didnt expect to love mine but it was the one Smiley laugh. Are the shoes in your avatar your wedding shoes? I have silver irregular choice ones

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, they are my IC beauties for the big day!! I'm not too good with heels, so it took me a while to find a comfortable pair, plus ones that weren't so high that I would be taller than OH!!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Yes! i had the same feeling about feeling older and a tiny bit boring in some of them (i'm 22 too) Others were just awful on me. But i tried on a massive princess dress and fell in love too. Then i tried on mine and fell even more in love. Its totally different to what i wanted.

I originally wanted a lace dress or greek style dress with straps and I've ended up with this one instead (ETA, this is the model not me obviously! and i think she's wearing a hoop in this picture because when i tried it on the layers fell much nicer on me, more sort of poofy, but she is also stood at a stupid angle so thats probably why.)

• Sparkles82
    Beginner April 2013
    Sparkles82 ·
    • Hide content

All I know is that I dont want strapless and I am liking the ruched up skirt look. I want plenty of sparkle and something that doesnt look my boobs look too big - they are generally mahoosive but I dont want them to be the focus of the day! lol

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

Sparkles I 2nd that totally.

Make sure you tell the shops you're trying in on that you want to be covered, or check if they can change the neckline to come up higher etc if necessary.

I want a lace up back to pull in at the waist, but don't want my boobs under my chin lol! Also when I found the dress that I love (Sandra by Nicole Jackson/Berketex) it looked even better and balanced out my top half better when I tried adding some straps to it - again ask if they can. We used some veil fabric and draped it to see how ti would look, and little V shaped straps that are wider at the top, narrower at the bottom and just fall onto the tops of my arms were very flattering and softened the whole strapless look.

Also I thought a sweetheart neckline would suit me best but it shows too much cleavage. A slight curve or dip seemed to work best. I found telling them that i wanted to cover up and asking about possible alterations worked really well. Good luck x

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I really think you should try on as many different styles as possible when you go dress shopping you never know what will suit you!

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

My fave but needs pretty straps too.

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

Grrr don't get how pics work on here

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles