Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mandspice
Beginner September 2013

Dress Drama

mandspice, 11 of April of 2013 at 10:59 Posted on Planning 0 8

A long story but I'll try and keep it as short as possible. I ordered my dress in October and it came to the shop (from abroad) in January with some faulty stitching. So the shop got the supplier (Alexia Bridal) to make a completely new one and it just arrived. With a hole in!

The shop have said we can try again but I'm reluctant as if it comes back faulty again we don't have much time; more than that, I've been a little put off the dress now and am dubious about the quality.

The other option they've given me is to tailor the stock dress they have in the shop, and the one I originally tried on. It's a size 10 and I'm a 4....they say it can be done but won't this change the shape of the dress?

I'm going to see them next week and will make a final decision then but I am thinking of looking elsewhere. The whole experience has put me off and also made me question whether it's really the dress for me (I think I'm almost using this as an excuse to look elsewhere. I do love the dress but I did buy it quite quickly and I wonder if I should have looked at more).

The shop have been brilliant and their customer service is second to none; doesn't excuse the fact that they have potentially dodgy suppliers though.

What would you do...?!

8 replies

Latest activity by blueypye, 11 of April of 2013 at 15:30
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Are they offering a refund including deposit if you cancel?

Are they offering a significant discount if you decide to take the sample?

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

No discount for the sample. Should I ask for this? It hadn't occurred to me.

I mentioned refund and they weren't keen - they said they'd do everything they could to make it right but if it came to it they'd speak to the shop's manager. If it came to it I would kick up a fuss to get a refund, although it might be more difficult if they do present me with a perfect dress in the end.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Yes, you should definitely be asking for a discount for the sample. It is not a new dress - people have tried it on and it needs to be significantly altered.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that but you should not be paying full price for it.

You might struggle to get another bridal store gown in four months but you do have other options (other samples from different shops, high street etc).

Personally, I would call them and explain that, as I'm sure they understand, you are getting extremely worried and are very disappointed with the quality of product so far. Yes, their customer service may have been good but part of that is choosing reliable suppliers and being prepared to put things right when things go wrong.

I would say that you are willing to discuss having the sample but that obviously you will be requiring a discount.

How much deposit have you paid, if you don't mind me asking? How much was the price of the dress you purchased?

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I agree with all of what Kharv said! That's terrible that both of the dresses they've sent haven't been up to standard- I'm not surprised you're not keen anymore.

Going from a size 10 to a 4 sounds like a lot. I was told when I ordered my dress that if I lost weight they'd be able to take it in up to 2 dress sizes, but doing it any more than that would mean it would lose it's shape.

Hope you get it sorted!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I would be asking for a full refund of all money and I wouldn't risk the sample (certainly not without a sizeable discount, which should be given anyway for a sample, let alone one that needs drastic alteration).

I wouldn't be sure that a size 10 can be altered to a size 4, without making a bit of a mess. What kind of shape are you? I am imagining that at size 4, you're not hourglass? Altering a bigger dress but maintaining the overall shape is one thing and might work, but not a complete revamp of the shape....

Have you seen any high street dresses you like?

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. It costs £450 and the deposit paid is £225.

I have seen a dress on Coast's website and have ordered it, just to have a look and compare. I always thought I'd go high street anyway, as my budget wasn't enormous, so I'm not too worried about finding an alternative if I have to.

I'm pretty straight up and down, 5 feet 1 and slim. The advantage is that it's a full skirt (tea length) so only the top and waist need altering. But at the moment I can't see how they can do that without changing the shape - it's a sweetheart neckline and won't reducing it mess up the structure?!

You're right, I should definitely ask for a decent discount IF the alterations do work and I do accept the sample.

• I
    Beginner May 2013
    Ivana1985 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I cant add anything further to what the others have said re: sample. I agree that this should be sold at a considerable discount with possibility of them altering for no charge, given the stress you've had etc.

What I wanted to say though was that I have had my dress altered (to be made smaller) quite considerably. I have lost a lot of weight and when I went for my first fitting the seamstress said that she was taking 5 inches off my waist alone. Not sure what that equates to in dress sizes but is a fair bit. I can honestly say that she did an AMAZING job and you would honestly never know. I took before pics just in case....

So really what i am saying is that if this is the dress for you dont be put off with them taking the dress in, especially if its just the top half. My dress once altered was just perfect and I was panicking big time when I realised just how big it was on me. Having said this, my shape generally has stayed the same ... just a slightly smaller version!

I'm sure you will make the right decision for you, just wanted to add some past experience into the mix so you can make an informed decision.

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Ivana. Sounds as though it can be done then.

I feel a bit more armed now for when I go and see them next week Smiley smile

• B
    Beginner July 2014
    blueypye ·
    • Hide content

Hi mandspice, Don't panic, there is still time to get exactly what you want. If you do decide to go down the route of a new dress, have a look at Kitty & Dulcie. They do some really lovely tea-length dresses, are all under £400 and deliver in a matter of days!

M x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics