Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

sherry
Beginner May 2009

Dog owners, is this website accurate in your opinion?

sherry, 20 of June of 2009 at 17:23 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 25

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/children.htm

Is this site accurate in it's grading do you think?

Thanks

25 replies

Latest activity by sherry, 21 of June of 2009 at 18:00
  • Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

I wonder what they are basing their grading on? I think its down the individual dogs and in most cases if they have been used to being around kids from a puppy. They've put terriers as being a 1 but they can be snappy so not sure what criteria they are going on?

• Mrs Jellybaby1977
    Beginner September 2008
    Mrs Jellybaby1977 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I don't think it's just down to the breed of the dog - this is quite a generalisation. It's down to the individual personality, the breeding line and the way the dog has been trained etc.

Saying all of that I would not trust any dog with a child.

Quite interesting that they have some terriers down as excellent with children. I would personally not have classed them as 1.

Sx

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree. I've had 3 cocker spaniels and one was not good with young children at all whereas another would have had his ears and tail pulled until they nearly came off and would never have snapped.

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ?

I know it is down to the individual dog and owners really. I'm just trying to get a rough idea of which breed may be best for our family and wasn't sure if the grading was accurate or not.

(Im not just using this site BTW - I was just surprised by some of the grading given)

• J
    Beginner May 2003
    Janna ·
    • Hide content

Funnily enough I used that site when doing my research in to breeds recently. I found it really useful as a starting point but by no means took it as gospel, because I thought the same - the haven't published their criteria, therefore it's all subjective. We considered all breeds which were ranked as blue or green.

I found the site helpful purely because it lists a vast majority of breeds, most with pictures. So it's a good starting point.

• Mrs Jellybaby1977
    Beginner September 2008
    Mrs Jellybaby1977 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sherry

I'm not suggesting you get a rescue dog but the information on the site might be helpful in your search:

/help-advice/

also this might be a good starting point for choosing a dog:

http://www.uk.pedigree.com/dogfinder.aspx

Sx

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Mrs Jellybaby1977 i'll have a look now - thanks

• mrs lilly
    Dedicated January 2007
    mrs lilly ·
    • Hide content

I know people argue that specific breeds are generally good with kids but IMO its all about exposure. I have had boxers for years, my 1st was not so good with kids as I didn't know any so she didn't have much contact with them. My current is fantastic as she was born into a household with young children and handled daily by them and we also have a young child and lots of my friends come around with their kids too.

I looked at the list and was rather surprised to see a pit bull terrier scored a 1!! I wouldn't want one around me never mind my child!!

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

Thanks mrs lilly, i think i have narrowed it down to either a lab or springer spaniel.

• Gryfon
    Gryfon ·
    • Hide content

That seems a strange site. The Staffy is known as the Nanny dog because it's so good with children. However I am biased towards staffys and crosses as mine is the perfect dog! Well as long as you ignore muddy paw prints and holes in my lawn ?

• flissy666
    flissy666 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Labs are incredibly gentle. A friend had one as a guide-dog and he was brill (apart from diverting off-route to snaffle any food on the floor!) Good luck in your search. Please share doggy pics once you get one ?

• mrs lilly
    Dedicated January 2007
    mrs lilly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Labs can be gentle as can all breeds. As an example when I was at Uni I spent my summers working as a vet nurse. The worst dog bite I have ever seen was from a golden lab, the vet nearly lot 3 fingers because of it!!!! It was in no provoked, the dog was sitting there one minute and attacking the next. And it was home visit not in the surgery as the lady that owned him had had knee surgery and couldn't get her in for her yearly jab. Just goes to show that I really don't think breed alone can/should be the determining actor in bringing a dog into a household with children.

• mrs lilly
    Dedicated January 2007
    mrs lilly ·
    • Hide content

Example a happy dog that is well used to kids and being manhandled by them ?

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

Mrs lilly, thanks for sharing that's a fab photo.

I am still researching and doing lots of reading and will keep everyone update as to what we decide.

I agree that the breed may not matter as much as I first thought and it is about how they are handled and trained, treated and brought up (so to speak).

Thanks everyone xxx

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ours was lovely. We had her for 16 years from when I was 10. I still miss her ?

• IncaPinca
    IncaPinca ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sherry, Sorry no comments about the website. But we adopted a springer in January this year and it is the best thing we have ever done. Gemma is 18 months old and a really bundle of fun, easy to train and very good in the house.

Were you thinking of getting a pup or a rescue dog?

IPx

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

At the moment we are unsure - i'm thinking a pup, we have a few rescue centres in Lincolnshire but only one will place dogs in a home where there are children under 3 years old.

But we are going to talk to a few to gather as much information as possible.

• M
    Beginner May 2007
    Marsie ·
    • Hide content

I do realise this is often an unpopular view, but what they hey ... I'll say it anyway!

Labradors can have fantastic temperaments. However, as one of the most over-bred dogs, there are also lots that don't, and I believe they usually top the list of breeds that bite. As they have the highest puppy numbers registered with the Kennel Club, and at least as many are not registered, this will partly be down to pure numbers, partly to the fact that poorly bred ones can have very dubious temperaments.

I know many people who have felt that it doesn't matter whether a Lab is registered or not. Some have serious aggression issues. Many have pups that have good temperaments, but at 6 years old are crippled with hip dysplasia. Neither of these things are guaranteed to be avoided by going to a breeder who has generations of dogs there that you can see the temperaments on, and hip and eye test results that span generations, but the chances of problems can be very much lessened.

Oh, and there are two very distinct strains of Labradors - show and working. The chunkier, squarer headed ones are 'show type'. Working type are usually smaller and much lighter built - with huge amounts more energy and brain power. (This also applies to Springers.) Worth making sure you know which you want.

Hope that's helpful,

M.

• IncaPinca
    IncaPinca ·
    • Hide content

We adopted gemma from NESSR (Northern English Springer Spaniel Rescue), they rescue mostly spaniels but some other breeds too. Not sure about the child policy though.

I know they had a 17 week old springer ***.

Good luck with your search

IPx

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

Thanks again for all the opinions, experiences and information.

• J
    Beginner May 2003
    Janna ·
    • Hide content

When we were doing our research I visited three local resue centres and none of them would would endorse getting a rescue dog with my children the ages they are (5 and 2)

So we looked at lots of things when we decided on the right breed. temperament being the most crucial obviously, approx size, type of coat and amount of hair loss we could cope with, size of house, size of garden, exercise committment, etc, etc

We decided on a miniature Labradoodle and have found a litter which was born on 11 June. ❤️ They should grow to about 18" to the shoulder, be medium/Low or possibly non-shedding, good tempered in the main and easy to train.

We looked at Cocker Spaniels, but I'd read about the 'Rage Syndrome' that some cockers can be suseptible to and it put me off. I know it's rare, but with children so young I couldn't risk it. http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/ragesyndromeinfo

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Janna - that is really helpful, I think we have discounted all spaniels.

Labradoodles are on our list aswell as are labs. I think that's what we have narrowed it to now.

• J
    Beginner May 2003
    Janna ·
    • Hide content

Well feel free to give me a shout if you decide on a Doodle - I have spent months and months researching breeders and have massive A4 notebook on all the breeders I contacted and information on the breed (as it's a cross breed, it's actually quite complex once you get in to it!!)

• Smint
    Beginner June 2007
    Smint ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, but had to ? at Dingo!

• sherry
    Beginner May 2009
    sherry ·
    • Hide content

Can definitely tell it's an Australian breed can't you...?.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics