Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lizbizz85
Beginner August 2022 Devon

Disposable plates/cutlery for main sit-down wedding breakfast

Lizbizz85, 20 of May of 2020 at 12:49 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi we are on a tight budget and having our wedding reception in the village hall. The wedding is going to be a simple country one. There will be a wedding breakfast for ceremony/daytime guests and then some kind of finger buffet later in the evening when our evening guests join us.

I'm currently in discussion with a caterer that offers hog roast with extra side dishes, dessert etc. They can provide biodegradable plates and cutlery for free as part of their service which is great as the hall doesn't have enough crockery/cutlery.

However, as I feel strongly that I want a seating plan (at least by table even if not by individual seats) to ensure our guests mix well (and avoid awkward family issues), I'm not sure whether disposable tableware will seem odd with this or how I'd dress the tables to ensure they don't look sparse (people would get their plates and cutlery when they go up to get their food).

Should I hire crockery/cutlery instead do you think?

Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated.

Thanks!

4 replies

Latest activity by HappyPinkHair15172, 28 of May of 2020 at 17:06
  • HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Hi hun.

Have you considered charity shops, Freecycle and Gumtree for crockery etc?

I guess it depends if you like the mismatched look or not

Ali x

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Decorate the tables with some cottage-garden flowers and it will look fine. If you are having an actual seating plan, you can also put placeholders in each place. People don't spend ages looking at the tables before they sit down, and once they sit down they'll have their food!

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I'd hire the crockery. That's what I did for my own wedding. I have photographed weddings with disposable plates etc... find out what the cost difference would be.

• R
    Beginner May 2016
    RomanticPurpleDiamonds24669 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I hate disposable crockery and disposable cutlery in particular is difficult to eat with (depending on what you're eating). However, there are some great disposable plates out there - is a compromise not to have good quality disposable plates but rent metal cutlery?

• HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Just thought of something!

You'd need to carefully consider what food you're serving as some just don't get on well with disposable plates!

I'd also be thinking about environmental and sustainability issues, plastic cutlery would have to be separated from paper plates, are your staff and /or guests willing to help?

Ali xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics