corkage charge

halloweeny
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 15 May 2015 12:19

corkage charge

Hi all,   I am getting married in August and I am planning on buying drink to have at the hotel.  Has anyone had to pay a corkage charge on here and what kind of prices have you paid also has anyone managed to negioate on the price they paid  x

• Posted: 15 May 2015 12:23

Re: corkage charge

Are you able to bring in your own alcohol? the reason I mention it is our venue where we are having our reception will not allow you to bring in outside alcohol so we have to get it via them. Wouldnt want you buying loads and unable to use it. Is it not in your contract he cost of corkage?

• Posted: 15 May 2015 12:25

As Jen-Lou said, wouldn't this have been in your contract?

• Posted: 15 May 2015 13:00

Hi,   No its not in there.  The woman at the hotel spoke to us and said we could bring in our own drink but pay the corkage, at the time we didn,t really think about it as it was so long ago when we booked it but now its a few months away I am starting to think more about this kind of stuff

• Posted: 15 May 2015 13:03

I cant really comment on hotels, but some restaurants charge a couple of £ per bottle. 

• Posted: 15 May 2015 13:04

Can't you just email your venue and ask them?

• Posted: 15 May 2015 13:30

It is essential you speak to the venue ASAP.  The venue set the corkage charge - it could be anything from £5 to £15 a bottle.

You need to get it in writing from them - fee per bottle and a clarification question, eg "Is that £xx per container opened or does it work on the volume?"

We got around this at our son's Christening by buying Champagne in magnums!

• Posted: 15 May 2015 13:39

Our venue allows us to bring our own wine/sparkling/champagne and charges us per bottle. It's in their price list, so I'd ask your venue.  for an idea, our corkage costs are:

Still wine £9.50 per bottle

Sparkling wine £10.50 per bottle

Champagne £12.50 per bottle

It doesn't make sense for us to supply our own table wine since there's is only £15 a bottle, but we may do our our sparkling or champagne. 

Paula - That's so clever buying the magnums to save per bottle! Never thought of that! Will definitely look into that. 

• Posted: 15 May 2015 14:27

What Paula said.

Its easily said with hindsight but don't sign up to anything without knowing exactly what it'll cost. 

• Posted: 15 May 2015 15:38

Hi

The corkage fees at our venue are £14 per bottle and the cheapest wine they provide is £17.80 so they have you by the b****ks really.

I'm sure they all vary greatly though so definitely inquire first.Big Smile

• Posted: 15 May 2015 18:10

I too was going to suggest using larger bottles, or even casks behind the bar!  You can actually get reasonable wine in a cask, and after a few drinks, guests wont notice! Several wines like wolfblast come in 1lt bottles or larger, but really depends whats in the fine print, if this is classed as 1x corkage charge, or per litre? Get it in writing whatever they say.

• Posted: 15 May 2015 18:11

We provided the prosecco for both our 50 per bottle, the other £5. Many charge more for magnums;) overall it meant our fix was about half price and was one we knew we liked so it is worth looking at. Flat wine we didn't bother.

• Posted: 15 May 2015 19:23

glad this popped up!

big sis is allergic to alcohol, but doesnt want to feel left out with toasting. she has found a great alc free merlot called 'fre'. the venue want £8 pb for this. or they are looking to see if they can source it.

kind of think £8 is harsh, but sis is worth it! hoping they source and charge less....

• Posted: 17 May 2015 9:47

We're paying £15 corkage per bottle of champagne at our venue. Considering they want £40 for their cheapest champagne which OH thinks is rubbish, and we are being bought the champers as a wedding gift - it works out better for us.

• Posted: 17 May 2015 11:22

I paid £8 per bottle corkage for my daughters wedding at a Holiday Inn almost 3 years ago.  I think its standard practice if you dont buy the wine from the venue. 

My daughter wanted her favourite wine which incidentally came from Sainsburys on one of their 25% off 6 bottles or more, but even with the corkage it still worked out  cheaper buying our own than the wine from the Hotel.

Linda

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 12Next >