Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2015

Colour outfit as a wedding guest

MrsB2015, 14 of April of 2014 at 21:55 Posted on Planning 0 21

I have 2 weddings this year and was discussing with my mum what I'm wearing. She went off on a tangent about not being able to wear cream or white, can't wear black or the same colour as the BM's. Now is my mum just being old fashioned as I wouldn't mind what colour people turn up in but don't want to upset other brides if I go for the cream dress i spotted in Coast lol

whats your thoughts as brides to be?

xx

21 replies

Latest activity by I-go-by-many-names, 15 of April of 2014 at 10:02
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

You shouldn't try, albeit inadvertently, to upstage the bride or her BMs. So Generally plain or lacy cream, ivory or white should be avoided. But if you're not that close to the bride, so won't be stood with her much, then it's not such a huge problem. Just be sensible. Watch out though as brides often use coast for BM dresses.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on the dress. If it's cream/white with a pattern or flowers or something on it, that's fine, but plain cream/white is a bit rude IMO. I probably wouldn't have been that offended if a guest wore white but would think they didn't know their etiquette.

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

I would be quite annoyed if someone turned up in cream or white and think it'd be lovely to have guests check what colours te BMs would be wearing but wouldn't be so fussed about guests matching te BMs. I usually go for dresses with prints or patterns on for weddings because then I'm less likely to match anyone.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Same as above, I think it's rude to wear white or cream, or anything that is pale enough that it might be seen as 'too bridal'.

This happened at a friends wedding recently - it was actually maybe a champagne or very pale pink colour, but the bride was very unimpressed with the guest's choice of dress.

White or cream with a big flowery pattern is fine. Any of these colours are fine as base colours with a colourful pattern on top.

It's interesting about BM dresses. If it was a good friend of mine, I'd ask what the colour was, and then avoid it. But if I was going to a wedding of one of my OH's friends, who I was never in independent contact with myself, I wouldn't ask this. And it wouldn't bother me if I then turned up in the same colour. Probably because I would never dream of wearing a satin dress, and a lot of bridesmaid dresses seem to be made of that shiny stuff, so I would never be matching them exactly ?

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Personally i'd only really mind if a guest turned up in a wedding dress haha! Other than that I don't mind, however I know it's different for a lot of brides and think that white / ivory etc is to be avoided unless having patterns on it. I wouldn't even mind anyone wearing the same colour of dress as BM's.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I agree, no white or cream and yes, I'd definitely avoid Coast but other than that I'd say anything goes (obviously avoid tarty or anything that looks like a bridesmaid dress!!)

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

I've already asked about BM dresses one is purple the other green and I know I wouldn't really wear those colours. I was thinking of a cream dress with a black flower pattern but will have another look! There both summer weddings and were there all day but being a freckled pale red head I struggle with colours sometimes lol.

My bm's are in black so I suppose in my eyes I would expect people may wear black. Maybe that's why it doesn't bother me.

Xx

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think this would be fine to wear as a guest? Do you have a flash / link to it?

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

These are the 2 I like

xx

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I think either of those would be fine! Neither of them looks in the slightest like a wedding dress and as you know they're not the colours of the bridesmaids, they aren't going to be the same as those either. Go ahead with whichever you like ?

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I'd wear either of those to a wedding! Don't think there'd be a problem with wearing them at all Smiley smile

Particularly love the bottom one!

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls. Got a bit worried but if I'm buying a new dress I want something I can wear not just for one occasion and I think either of these will come in handy again.

xx

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

They're definitely fine! Both lovely dresses!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

You never wear white/cream to a wedding unless its heavily patterned or strongly paired with another color, white and white variants are for the bride (some brides dont wear classic gowns remember their are several that wear short dresses/high street dresses and so one and even at weddings where the bride wears purple/red/gold etc... you dont want to be mistaken for a/the bride) I personally would be very offended if someone wore white as im not wearing a 'traditional' dress and would not want to be mistaken or 'upstaged'

this is fine:

this is not imho:

with the bridesmaids thing I would ask the bride, I would not be against people wearing the colors but I wouldn't want them having a similar cut/style

I wouldn't worry about wearing black but I would not go in all black as if you where attending a funeral (I have wore a knee length black coat to a wedding before with a silver and black patterned dress and silver shoes/accessories had nothing but compliments but the silver made it obviously not a morbid outfit)

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Just seen flash and I would avoid as one is similar-ish to the basic part of my wedding dress ?

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

Definitely not cream.

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

I really dont mind what the guests wear, like as was mentioned earlier as long none wear a wedding dress! at my nieces wedding her brothers gf wore a pure white trouser suit and no one considered she was trying to upstage the bride? xx

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

My dress is ivory chiffon - I happened to mention to one of my friends that another of my friends mentioned she is going to be wearing floor length chiffon (in a dusky pinky plum colour) to my wedding. My friend was shocked and said it was a massive no-no and offered to speak to her on my behalf to tell her not to wear it!?!? I'm not bothered - should I be?

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

Well i spoke to OH about it last night and his comment was... "Were driving 96 miles to get to this wedding, paid £116 for a hotel, both loosing a day off work that we won't be paid for, put £50 towards there gift list" if someone makes half that effort for our wedding I really wouldn't care what they wore!

I personally wouldn't be bothered but don't want to upset a bride if it would offend her.

Xx

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I have tried on the second of the two coast dresses, its lovely but I'm not overly confident about my figure so gave it a miss. Its actually not white at all so you would definitely be fine wearing that and it doesn't strike me as a typical BM dress. I did go to a wedding once where a guest had the exact same coast dress as the BMs and she looked very embarrassed and kept her jacket on all day despite it being roasting.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics