Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner July 2019

Chairs ?

RomanticGreenStationery34857, 27 of November of 2018 at 22:03 Posted on Planning 0 3

Soo we are holding our reception in a gorgeous village hall. The only downside is the chairs, they are basically brown plastic school style chairs. Are they coverable without looking daft? Not sure if I’d be cheaper hiring other chairs than chair covers? I’m just outside Edinburgh if anyone can recommend anyone in the area for either or?

3 replies

Latest activity by Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019, 7 of December of 2018 at 14:16
  • H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Personally, I would try and hire nice chairs - the school style ones won't be very comfortable for long periods, plus they can be quite low, particularly for older people with hip/joint problems.

I don't know of any specific companies that do chair hire I'm afraid, but I'm sure a quick Google search will sort you out. How many people are you having? If it's a small number, you could ask around friends and family, and go for a mismatched chair by borrowing from a few people?

I just found this company on Google - loads of options for between £1-£4 per chair: https://www.furniturehireuk.com/chair-hire

Good luck X

• S
    SunnyBrownCars82847 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we also didn't like the chair options available in our village hall - but just a note of caution, when we looked into hiring chairs, we'd often find a company to do it for "only" £4 a chair, and then find out the delivery/collection costs were over £400! So just make sure you factor delivery in before committing/making your decision.

We've bought some chair caps/sleeves to go over the top of them (I hate the stretchy white chair covers) to match our theme, and managed to get a bargain of 100 for £15 on eBay, so if you want covers I would recommend some homework... but it might be hard to make sure they fit.

Good luck!

• R
    Beginner July 2019
    RomanticGreenStationery34857 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your replies.

We will have approx 80 guests from daytime then perhaps another 40 in the evening. We won’t actually get to the hall till about 4.30pmish I guess (church is booked for 3pm). I’m hoping it’s going to be a lovely sunny day as we have a massive grass area to use aswell, planning to set up games etc.

Although I want everything to look lovely the chairs are proving to be the one downfall. I don’t really want to spend hundreds on chairs to be honest as the quotes I’ve been getting back from caterers are proving more expensive than I thought. On that note does anyone have any food ideas? The kitchen in the hall isn’t suitable for preparing food so we are having to look at vans? We are going for quite a laid back day and don’t want a traditional 3 course meal..

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What about sharing platters? That's what we're doing - we will have tapas based starters and then various things like chicken or a vegan alternative (roasted butternut squash) on tabboulah, and roasted veg with bowls of new potatoes.

Most caterers will be able to provide their own portable kitchen stuff, they should be able to work in the area provided.

Alternatively, I went to a wedding in August that did burritos. Everyone took up their plate and collected it from where they had set up. It was awesome, and filling. Personally, I didn't like the whole queuing thing, which is why we went for platters to be brought to the table, but it was quite a fun option if you don't want traditional.

Hope this helps! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics